Spyglass

Bear_Next_Door

I have already explained that the spyglass would not help with mapping - the mapping is very realistic at the moment, because of air optical properties. Air is a gas (obviously) but as a gas, it bends the light a little as it passes through. Because of that, what we may see in the distance can actually be further or closer to us than we think - so if you were trying to make precise maps by watching from a top of the hill, you might see all the landmarks, but you would not be able to judge how far or how big they really are, and the resulting map you would make would be imprecise.

Plus, I like the challenge mapping presents, it definitely takes quite a bit of time. As a tool, I use charcoal to map small pieces of maps where resources like saplings grow and I can't spare the time/space to take them now but plan to come for them later.

I would like some sort of binoculars or spyglass, or even some broken down rifle scope which could be used to see things from afar. It would help with "glassing" a great deal (hunting technique where you scan the field of view with binoculars to spot the game in the distance, so you can pursue it).

Archived