stapeliad

Aurora gone after bear hunt

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I had the disappearing bear ear bug, which was fixed... now the aurora is gone... I'm ready to go to the dam.

How can I get the aurora back? :(
I REALLY want to get this episode over with already......

i'm on PC.

Edited by stapeliad
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The aurora was gone for the last quest when Wintermute was released, but they patched it to make it appear properly....

How many days has it been since you saw one, and how many days does it normally take between seeing it again?

Hopefully fixing the ear issue didn't re-break the aurora issue...:/

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been several days.... a whole lot of days in Long Dark Time.....it ended before I ever started the bear hunt.  not sure how many days in between... it was happening pretty much every night for a while. 

I really thought the aurora would come back after completing the bear quest but so far no, and I passed about 4 nights just to make sure.  Nothing.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that doesn't sound very promising as far as being potentially bugged again now....I guess it needs to be reported again...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

@Patrick Carlson it sounds like the patch that fixed the bear ear on PC may have broken the aurora quest again...

@stapeliadare you running version 1.07?

It could take several days for the Aurora to appear when you get the mission notice asking to wait before entering the dam. Check out a side mission or go cache hunting! Just an idea. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok @stapeliad, I guess wait longer and keep the thread updated on when it appears, or doesn't after several more days....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having this problem too. I'm waiting to enter Jeremiah's bunker. I've already consumed 30 kgs of bear meat and 14 kgs of deer meat as well as a couple of chocolate bars, two cans of peaches, and several cans of pop. It's been about two weeks already... maybe more. Could be, cause I've spend at least two days just starving. I sleep during the day and wait all night for the lights to appear. I thought that the aurora would more likely appear on a clear night but there have been several clear nights with nothing but the moon and the stars illuminating the muskeg.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Patrick Carlson Hi, Yes I'm on the latest version. 1.07 (32337) release.

@Thrasador thanks for your help. :)

Still no aurora, my clothes are not doing too well, I have no shoes and that's all ok but I still have to survive while I wait for the aurora to reappear so everything is taking more time and resource than it should.... for no progression. I don't want to use all my ammo/hatchet/knife etc just waiting for the aurora to reappear and needing to eat. Those bunnies don't go far....

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

It could take several days for the Aurora to appear when you get the mission notice asking to wait before entering the dam. Check out a side mission or go cache hunting! Just an idea. 

I have all the caches, my only side quest left is the bunker which requires the aurora.................

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ok this is what happened:

The aurora never came back after the bear hunt.
I camped out for FOUR NIGHTS at the bunker in FM, nothing.

So I went over to the dam, spent 2 nights there, NOTHING.  Just messing around the dam to see if I had missed any soda or shoes or something (no luck) I walked to the elevator (which I had previously visited on my first trip) and pushed the button.  I got a Journal Updated message but there was no actual update.

Spent another 2 nights at the dam and the aurora finally came back... now I have to go all the way back to FM to get into that bunker. I think it had something to do with pushing the elevator button.

******

The only reason I left the dam after turning the power on was to go to the cache in FM.... otherwise I would have missed Methuselah entirely.

And here we go again with the wolves... is the flashlight supposed to have an effect on them? Because it doesn't and never has, same as flares and torches don't do a thing to deter them...and they attack and COME RIGHT BACK before i can even get a bandage on.

Edited by stapeliad
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Another update:  After that first night when the aurora appeared at the dam, I decided to go down to FM to get the bunker before leaving ML.
Saw Methuselah.  Got to the camp office. Had to recover. (dogs)

The next night in ML on the way to FM there was no aurora.

Now I am sitting right outside that hatch, camped out, and there is no aurora.

****Update- it took a few more nights.
I finally finished the chapter.

Edited by stapeliad
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well @stapeliadthat was a VERY useful synopsis of events. I am still screwing around in Episode 1, so I can't speak intelligently about any of what is happening with this quest.

@Patrick Carlsonwhat was described with the elevator button, is this working as intended? Should the quest log say to "use the elevator" if that is what was holding up the progress in the quest? Or was pushing the button for the elevator not supposed to be a "trigger" for the aurora?

Regardless I feel this is very useful information to pass on to the programmers as far as what is currently happening to people with this quest....!

PS Your welcome @stapeliad! I am not a staff member or anything, but I do like helping people with trouble in the game in general....So feel free to continue to ask questions and/or request assistance when stuck...Obviously you are done with the story for now, I meant in the future with the remainder of the story, or with the sandbox

Edited by Thrasador
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you see the mission to wait for the Aurora before entering the dam, you should see the Aurora appear whether you go inside the dam or not. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Once you see the mission to wait for the Aurora before entering the dam, you should see the Aurora appear whether you go inside the dam or not. 

Ok, well that may or may not be occurring as intended. @stapeliadmade it sound like nothing was occurring until after he pushed the elevator button....as he waited for more than several days for an aurora borialis to appear and it never did, until he advanced the quest somehow by pressing the elevator button....i.e. there could still be a bug with this quest....

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The aurora did not appear at all until I randomly messed with the elevator. It was a lot of nights, too.
I do think touching the elevator was what triggered it to come back again because I got that Mission Updated notification and there was no aurora at all whatsoever before that..

Edited by stapeliad
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I am hoping @Patrick Carlsonread what you stated, it is unclear if he actually read what you experienced or if he was merely responding to my questions because he is tired, overworked, and in a hurry....

I feel your discovery is an important discovery to pass along to the bug fixers....Hopefully he does so...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Well I am hoping @Patrick Carlsonread what you stated, it is unclear if he actually read what you experienced or if he was merely responding to my questions because he is tired, overworked, and in a hurry....

I feel your discovery is an important discovery to pass along to the bug fixers....Hopefully he does so...

I did read it - I was simply noting what the expected design would be, to the best of my knowledge. @stapeliad Feel free to log the issue here:https://hinterlandgames.atlassian.net/projects/TLDP/issues

That is the fastest way to get something into the tech pipeline for evaluation. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stapeliad said:

The aurora did not appear at all until I randomly messed with the elevator. It was a lot of nights, too.
I do think touching the elevator was what triggered it to come back again because I got that Mission Updated notification and there was no aurora at all whatsoever before that..

Thanks  for the insight.  I've been camped outside the dam for quite a few days now... no aurora.  I'll try touching the elevator.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Thanks  for the insight.  I've been camped outside the dam for quite a few days now... no aurora.  I'll try touching the elevator.

Yeah, push the call elevator button or something...apparently that registered a quest update on the screen, but nothing changes in your journal....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Yeah, push the call elevator button or something...apparently that registered a quest update on the screen, but nothing changes in your journal....

Yep I pushed the button and got the mission updated thingie, but no change to the journal.   No aurora yet, either, after 3 more nights.   I'll keep trying.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well that SHOULD work...Hopefully, especially if the thing popped up on the screen....it can take a few days normally....even if it was working properly...

I feel bad for all the people burning through their supplies because of this broken quest....there are a couple bug reports up about it....someone who doesn't know about the elevator button has already been waiting over two weeks....

Edited by Thrasador
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2017 at 10:06 PM, stapeliad said:

So I went over to the dam, spent 2 nights there, NOTHING.  Just messing around the dam to see if I had missed any soda or shoes or something (no luck) I walked to the elevator (which I had previously visited on my first trip) and pushed the button.  I got a Journal Updated message but there was no actual update.

Spent another 2 nights at the dam and the aurora finally came back... now I have to go all the way back to FM to get into that bunker. I think it had something to do with pushing the elevator button.

This worked!... OMG!!! Thanks!...

Pushed the button, got a journal update. Headed to FM, camped at the cave. 4 nights, 6 kgs of wolf meat, and 8 kgs of deer meat later the aurora appeared.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! Well, I am definitely glad some people who are stuck are finding this thread....I hope it gets patched next with items disappearing also being fixed, and in the meantime I hope others stumble upon this elevator button solution.

Again, great work @stapeliad!!!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now