Faithful Cartographer achievement... 100%?

Sashamorning

I'm trying to find all the locations for the Faithful Cartographer achievement. I'm around 78% with almost 160 locations found.  I know I've missed a couple places (and I don't know if sketching the map is strictly necessary, or even if 100% is what's required for the cheeve), but I feel like I'm a lot further along than only 78% complete.

Any ideas on whether currently inaccessible areas (Mountain Town, anyone?) are needs for this?

Mountain Town. Now I just need to see Kenny and Cartman cave paintings on the wall and my life will be complete.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Sashamorning said:

I don't know if sketching the map is strictly necessary, or even if 100% is what's required for the cheeve

From the achievements page on Steam:

Map all named locations in Survival Mode.

That seems pretty clear. You need to sketch every one of the required locations.

I don't see how it is clear that you actually need to sketch those areas.  Registering whether you've uncovered that portion of the charcoal map is far trickier than checking if it was discovered.

I don't think the Lookout in ML is registering properly, but otherwise haven't noticed any oddities.  I'm not much for achievements though, so haven't been paying super close attention.

1 hour ago, Carbon said:

That would be within the FC update so no broken railroad locales and yes, I got the achievement.

Excellent.  Thanks for the info!

I'm going through and finding places I didn't have sketched before.  So far the needle isn't moving on either % or the number of found locations.  I'm sitting at 161 and 78%.  I know where several of the locations are that I'm missing.   Curious if those other 16 locations = 22%...?

And FWIW, I've been using this pic for about 8 years now or so... :)

On 8/11/2017 at 9:26 AM, Carbon said:

That would be within the FC update so no broken railroad locales

Faithful Cartographer.. So in other words, before Wintermute released..

On 8/11/2017 at 11:05 AM, Sashamorning said:

I'm sitting at 161 and 78%.  I know where several of the locations are that I'm missing.   Curious if those other 16 locations = 22%...?

If it was still 177 locations, as per Carbon's experience, 161 locations would put you at 91%.  If you're at 78%, that means there are now 204-205 locations you need to map. So you have a little over 40 to go.

I've got it on steam. I got 100% of map completed, no achievement unlocked.

I've got 173 locations, the only thing I can think of is the Prepper Cache, which I cannot find anywhere. Thought it still shows me at 100%.

Try redoing all of Timberwolf Mountain, tonnes of new stuff there now.

20170823031252_1.jpg

On 8/17/2017 at 3:55 AM, jkripper said:

On my xbone achievement tracker, it says "0.00% of gamers have unlocked this"..
So that's encouraging.

It's a tough one for sure. Not only does it require one to always have sufficient charcoal, but the presence of mind to map amidst the constant struggle to survive.

On 23/08/2017 at 10:15 AM, Nanashi said:

I've got it on steam. I got 100% of map completed, no achievement unlocked.

I've got 173 locations, the only thing I can think of is the Prepper Cache, which I cannot find anywhere. Thought it still shows me at 100%.

Try redoing all of Timberwolf Mountain, tonnes of new stuff there now.

20170823031252_1.jpg

Weird, because I have the same amount of locations uncovered, but only 84% unlocked, which with a little bit of math adds up to 206 total locations - similar to what JAFO mentioned.

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 15.15.35.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think y'all are putting to much importance on locations discovered and % of wold discovered. Maybe this has changed, as many of you are reporting 100% discovered, and I havent done a wold trip in a while, but for as long as I can remember, the game has counted every single location towards the 100%, and getting it was impossable to do. For example, the lake side cabins in mystery lake. there are 7 total, so the gmaes that as 7 locations to discover, but at least one or two, usually 3 of them are burned down, and cannot be entered to discover them. Perhaps this has been addressed, and i'm not aware of it, but I wouldnt put so much stock in your % of world in determining how you're doing with mapping. I'm working on a mapping playthrough right now, and have only PV and TWM left to do. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.  I can tell you for sure though that the preppe caches dont count, as they do not show up on the map, and have no "outdoor" location name.  

I can't help but wonder (has this been said before?) if this is the reason for there being no individual who has the achievement. The game is coded to record a particular number of locations as satisfactory toward the goal, yet with random generation of some structures, it is as much a roll of the dice as anything else. Unfortunately, the investment needed to learn the result is massive, if this is true.

I will map my current game and see what happens. 211 is a big number it seems.

1 hour ago, Carbon said:

I can't help but wonder (has this been said before?) if this is the reason for there being no individual who has the achievement. The game is coded to record a particular number of locations as satisfactory toward the goal, yet with random generation of some structures, it is as much a roll of the dice as anything else.

This has been my own suspicion for some time now.. given that some people are obsessed with getting achievements, it's more than a little weird that nobody has been able to attain this particular one yet.

Well, after a seriously long run, I have all named locations (the entirely of all regions actually) mapped with 100% location completion but no achievement. Interestingly, a couple of locations wouldn't show on the map (the cabins below the lookout tower in CH was one); I then entered the structures, then exited and mapped right outside, but no name or structure icon came up on the map.

49 minutes ago, Carbon said:

Well, after a seriously long run, I have all named locations (the entirely of all regions actually) mapped with 100% location completion but no achievement. Interestingly, a couple of locations wouldn't show on the map (the cabins below the lookout tower in CH was one); I then entered the structures, then exited and mapped right outside, but no name or structure icon came up on the map.

Ive reported mapping issues in CH on the bug reports site. They are numerous.  I suspect it has more to do with certain named places not actually showing on the map. There are  places that used to have names that no longer do, and some places that had names that have been removed from the game recently, and others that are still named, but nothing shows on the map when you survey them. There are a bunch in Mystery Lake alone.  Western Lake access, Southern River Access, Northern River Access, The Lookout, The Train Bridge.   Another possibility is that the locations in BR have been added to the requirements of the achievement, but not all named locations there are accessible yet, as the route to "Mountain Town" is there, but has yet to be opened/made accessible to players. 

Ive been working on a mapping run myself, and I was slightly concerned about all the threads regarding the inability to get this achievement, but as most of them are from newer players, I wasnt worried. Now, with other veteran players reporting it as not unlocked, i'm starting to worry.  I have a theory about where you are standing making a difference, and I intend to continue and finish my last two regions, and see for myself before I wail and gnash my teeth. 

Archived