Wildlife

Yukonwanderer

7 hours ago, JAFO said:

The one I'm in two minds about is the possibility that cougar might be added. It would be cool.. but damn. Areas with rocks high above you would become SO dangerous.. and you'd never see it coming til it hit you. Assuming Hinterland do it reasonably accurately, that is. I might be in Australia, but I have American friends who've told me of the times they've been stalked by a mountain lion, while on horseback no less.. spine-tingling stuff..

Some ways, that would be beyond Interloper, IMO. 

I find myself using the high ground as a means of feeling safe, I know that the wolves usually don't tread there, but if that was cougar territory I'd be kept on my toes. I think keeping things tense throughout the game no matter where you are topography wise is what this game is about, when TLD gets comfortable and predictable is when it becomes boring for me.

On 14. 8. 2017 at 7:40 PM, L² said:

Although in a realistic sense I would agree with @Thrasador in that the calorie count is not in true proportion to the prey, in the game sense, it sort of does.  If I am correct, the games measure of how many calories you get from specific animals meat is solely based on the degree of difficulty it is to obtain said meat.  It this scenario, rabbits are by far the easiest to obtain and consequently would contain the least calories.  It may not be realistic...but I seem to remember that this is a game.  :)

The calorie count is not at all similar to what the real deal is, unless the calorie is a different unit of measurement than the one I am thinking. And you both are very wrong - you are greatly underestimating a person´s need for calories in such an unforgiving location like the arctic, you are putting it to your real life situations. Truth is, in survival experience, you have a big need for calories and maybe even better need for water. Putting into account sweating and everything, a human person needs about 10 liters of water a day in arctic conditions. So I would highly doubt two rabbits would fill your belly for a day, 4 sounds more accurate, just the problem of eating it all at the same time creates illusion that it is a lot of food. 

Then there is that whole thing about one of the most forgotten facts - rabbits have very low protein value in their meat. Meaning that constant consumption of rabbit meat without end causes something called "protein poisoning", which is caused by lack of fat in the meat diet. Commonly only happens for hunters who live off snaring, the rabbits and other small mammals have low amount of fat in their meat compared to their weight, which means that their prolonged consumption means the human keeps loosing their own fat which leads to health problems.

ALWAYS take the bones of a rabbit, and boil them for soup - you get much more fat this way, by boiling it out of the marrow of the bones which are rich in fat. Wont save you forever, but may prolong the protein poisoning.

23 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

The calorie count is not at all similar to what the real deal is, unless the calorie is a different unit of measurement than the one I am thinking. And you both are very wrong - you are greatly underestimating a person´s need for calories in such an unforgiving location like the arctic, you are putting it to your real life situations. Truth is, in survival experience, you have a big need for calories and maybe even better need for water. Putting into account sweating and everything, a human person needs about 10 liters of water a day in arctic conditions. So I would highly doubt two rabbits would fill your belly for a day, 4 sounds more accurate, just the problem of eating it all at the same time creates illusion that it is a lot of food. 

Then there is that whole thing about one of the most forgotten facts - rabbits have very low protein value in their meat. Meaning that constant consumption of rabbit meat without end causes something called "protein poisoning", which is caused by lack of fat in the meat diet. Commonly only happens for hunters who live off snaring, the rabbits and other small mammals have low amount of fat in their meat compared to their weight, which means that their prolonged consumption means the human keeps loosing their own fat which leads to health problems.

ALWAYS take the bones of a rabbit, and boil them for soup - you get much more fat this way, by boiling it out of the marrow of the bones which are rich in fat. Wont save you forever, but may prolong the protein poisoning.

I'm aware of rabbits not having enough fat. That wasn't my point. My point is a KILOGRAM of rabbit or 2.2 POUNDS of rabbit has about 1100 calories in it not 575. Factor in burning 300 calories to fully harvest one unfrozen rabbit by hand....another number that makes zero sense, as I have ripped a hide off a rabbit in one stroke and it doesn't burn 300 calories to gut it, skin it, and stick the carcass on a stick. Then once you do the amount of nutrition is 1100 calories, not 575. Google it...

Currently it's almost not even worth it to harvest a rabbit by hand and eat it. YAY a net gain of 250 calories! That's not factoring in cooking time. 

So you think 4 kilograms of rabbit sounds right to you? When have you EVER eaten 9 pounds of ANYTHING in ONE day? I weigh 250lbs and I can barely eat two 1 pound burritos at Chipotle, and if I do I'm stuffed for the rest of the day.....and that's just ONE kilo of food.....not four....

Still stuck in the everyday mentality. When was the last time you had a month where you spent 12000 calories a day just resting? You are underestimating the strain survival situations have on people... and are comparing it to normal everyday life. And that was my point - along with the illusion of eating it all in the same time - that is unrealistic. Yes, you would eat one and you could barely move till your body processed it down. But, eventually you would get accustomed to eating more and more, and at the same time you would be getting enough calories. The constant weather, constant walking around and performing tasks, hunting and logging with gear, and living, as well as mental toll it takes on a person hardens the survivor and has a toll on him/her and part of that is insane consumption of calories as a result. And yes, in time, you could eat 4 kilos of rabbit a day to get enough. Maybe that is a bit of a stretch, I would say "eat 4 whole rabbits" instead because I feel like the meat of a rabbit is intentionally so heavy and weak to make it an unfavorable meal choice... which is just game balancing.

Like I said, TLD is not so accurate with this, but I would think the general idea of eating insane portions just to not starve is a realistic approach - most survivors end up getting really weak as they progress on in time, surviving, by their inability to obtain enough calories to supply their outtake. So, imagine Interloper strat of starving all day long - that is much closer to the real survivor behaviour then stuffing yourself to the fullest in general TLD.

We don't even spend 12000 calories just resting in the game now....what are you even going on about? Ok, go eat 4 kilograms of rabbit meat a day and tell me when you get "used to it..."

I'm not trying to compare anything to everyday life. I am saying a kilo of rabbit meat contains more like 1100 calories, not 575. Bear, wolf, and deer contain 1300-1600 calories per kilogram....

They already balanced the game by making every action in the game take a ridiculous amount of time and burn a ridiculous amout of calories. The least they could do is have the meat items contain a more realistic amount of calories vs weight when compared to non-meat items and weight....like the half kilo 1600 calorie MRE.

The current system of calories burned to harvest an animal vs the calories gained after cooking and eating it is double dipping. Too many calories to obtain and prepare the meat, not enough calories from eating it. One or the other is more than fair....not both...

What about seals or Walrus'?

They would live near the coast and you would have to kill them fast as they would just jump into the water when attached and you would potentially lose your arrow or waste a bullet. But if successful the fat can be made into lantern fuel and with the fur you could make a nice little hat! (or anything...)

On 8/16/2017 at 10:09 AM, Thrasador said:

We don't even spend 12000 calories just resting in the game now....what are you even going on about? Ok, go eat 4 kilograms of rabbit meat a day and tell me when you get "used to it..."

I'm not trying to compare anything to everyday life. I am saying a kilo of rabbit meat contains more like 1100 calories, not 575. Bear, wolf, and deer contain 1300-1600 calories per kilogram....

They already balanced the game by making every action in the game take a ridiculous amount of time and burn a ridiculous amout of calories. The least they could do is have the meat items contain a more realistic amount of calories vs weight when compared to non-meat items and weight....like the half kilo 1600 calorie MRE.

The current system of calories burned to harvest an animal vs the calories gained after cooking and eating it is double dipping. Too many calories to obtain and prepare the meat, not enough calories from eating it. One or the other is more than fair....not both...

I do think the calorie count is too low but at the same time I can go without food all day (essentially losing 0 calories) and then eat before bed. If hinterland ever fixed that then they would need to bump up the calorie count.    

On 8/16/2017 at 6:22 AM, Mroz4k said:

everything, a human person needs about 10 liters of water a day in arctic conditions. 

I think you maybe over stating the amount needed. At around 6 litres an average person dies. Even spread over a day it is very dangerous. 

No, I remember a documentary about the daily life of scientists in antarctica. The person in charge of logistics explained that people needed to drink a huge lot of water per day to stay hydrated, due to the ambient dryness. I can't remember the exact quantity, but if my memory is right it was more than 6 liters. She also explained that she had to stock lots of chocolate bars, as everyone eat many of them per day, as it has a good calories/weight/pleasure ratio. :D

7 hours ago, PleXD said:

I think you maybe over stating the amount needed. At around 6 litres an average person dies. Even spread over a day it is very dangerous. 

It depends what you're doing.. several years ago, I was lead installer of a team of office furniture installers working in sub-tropical conditions in summertime. It was fast paced work, with lots of heavy lifting involved as well. I was easily drinking 5-6 litres a day.. and most of it was being sweated right back out.. I had to increase my salt intake to keep my electrolytes in balance, due to all the salt sweated out.

Since I've been having appetite/water intake issues due to my meds, I recently started to study up on the subject to keep my health on track. Water intake depends on the individual and daily activities; I think for females the average is 2.7L daily and males 3.7L. But I do remember reading that people who work in hot conditions all day (like those who tend to fields) may need up to 16L per day! :o When I worked as a gardener I remember drinking at least 4-5L per day (since I'm female and physically small my needs are not as great) Powerade and electrolyte drinks were my best friends, said meds I'm on deplete electrolytes more quickly :S One of the things I was thinking of the other day is that they should add an electrolyte depletion stat as part of daily needs to the game, and maybe items like powder/pills you can add to your water to turn it into a sports drink. Although I'm not sure how that would work if playing on Interloper

On 29. 8. 2017 at 8:31 AM, PleXD said:

I am most definitedly not over stating anything. In every day life during physical exhaustion, you might need about 6 liters - but in low temperature climates, when being physically active, in a survival situation you need up to 10 liters of water, which is roughly the same minimal amount of water you would need on a desert to be properly hydrated.

I tried to find some reference but I cant at the moment, only found one website which mentions that water requirements in cold climates are very high but didnt offer a precise number.

1 hour ago, Mroz4k said:

I tried to find some reference but I cant at the moment, only found one website which mentions that water requirements in cold climates are very high but didnt offer a precise number.

https://ke.army.mil/bordeninstitute/published_volumes/mil_quantitative_physiology/QPchapter07.pdf

One also has to watch out for Water Intoxication, more water than the body can handle causing a depletion of electrolytes that can lead to death.

Archived