Wildlife

Yukonwanderer

This is a bit silly (and I haven't played any survival yet - I'm only on Episode 2 of Wintermute, so I might be talking out of my ass)  

But I would love to see:

-Moose - dangerous, but could alert you to the location of cattails

-Beavers - their dams could be a great source of wood

-Foxes - who wouldn't love to see a little orange fuzzy thing running though the snow - it would be a rare sighting - they could also occasionally steal your food stashed outside as an added challenge

Chipmunks - faster, smaller, less meat, and harder to catch than rabbits, but more common?

I think a lot of people don't realize how dangerous moose can be, for sure it would give the wolves in the game a run for its money as opposed to just going down like a deer.

BBC: Moose v Wolf Pack - A Moose Named Madeline

They seem to give the moose a wide berth, if I could stay downwind of the moose and just follow in its wake, while it keeps the wolves away.

adding more animals could be balanced with less animal spawning (adding moose = less deer/rabbits). Respawning could also be changed (I do believe respawning is to fast, ot much easy preys and to much predators -currently playing on voyageur-).

21 hours ago, Mpat120 said:

Moose and others are/were in the works. One I would like to see is a Boar, better get him before he gets you. I know parts of Canada have them, but dont know if they get as big and mean as they do down here in TX.

I dunno, I feel like a boar would be completely out of place.   Canadians really don't associate wild boars with our national landscape.  They're not common except for certain regions where they've escaped farms - they're definitely not native, and I don't think they roam as far up north as this game seems to be set: boreal forest/tundra (muskeg) zone.  I could see lynx being added, or maybe mountain lion, or buffalo in the muskeg at least.

Glad to hear the others are in the works though.

21 minutes ago, Yukonwanderer said:

I dunno, I feel like a boar would be completely out of place.   Canadians really don't associate wild boars with our national landscape.  They're not common except for certain regions where they've escaped farms - they're definitely not native, and I don't think they roam as far up north as this game seems to be set: boreal forest/tundra (muskeg) zone.  I could see lynx being added, or maybe mountain lion, or buffalo in the muskeg at least.

Glad to hear the others are in the works though.

It seems that they are a relative newcomer, but here's a drone video of them up in Saskatchewan, not being familiar with Canada, is that area displayed similar to the area you are describing?

47 minutes ago, deathbydanish said:

It seems that they are a relative newcomer, but here's a drone video of them up in Saskatchewan, not being familiar with Canada, is that area displayed similar to the area you are describing?

Looks like it would be southern or mid Saskatchewan most likely - and there are boars there that have escaped from farms and are spreading.  Few conifers generally indicates it's not boreal forest and nowhere close to tundra or muskeg.   It's a bit hilly by prairie standards, so I'm guessing it's near some of the rivers they have in the south.  

4 hours ago, Yukonwanderer said:

Looks like it would be southern or mid Saskatchewan most likely - and there are boars there that have escaped from farms and are spreading.  Few conifers generally indicates it's not boreal forest and nowhere close to tundra or muskeg.   It's a bit hilly by prairie standards, so I'm guessing it's near some of the rivers they have in the south.  

Is there any part of the game where it would be plausible? Some Russian hunter bagged a record sized boar on coastline by Korea, maybe someplace like Desolation Point might be more believable.

13 hours ago, deathbydanish said:

Is there any part of the game where it would be plausible? Some Russian hunter bagged a record sized boar on coastline by Korea, maybe someplace like Desolation Point might be more believable.

Idk - it's just not typically Canadian at all. They're from a different continent and are only now starting to somewhat spread here. Quebec is freaking out about an estimated 50 wild boars that they think have escaped and bred in the province.  My Canadian conception of northern wilderness does include wild boars.  (Not sure if any other canucks are reading this - chime in if you have a different view point).  Ask me again in 30 years?  ;p.  I'd also be inclined to think that they couldn't survive well in the 6 foot deep snow often found in boreal forests.  Adding lynx, mountain lions, beaver, moose, cariboo, elk, bison, hell - even a polar bear - would be more plausible in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Yukonwanderer said:

I'd also be inclined to think that they couldn't survive well in the 6 foot deep snow often found in boreal forests.

The Russian Boars can with ease, or else they would not have came from Russia, it gets kinda cold there in winter, as both Napoleon and Hitler found out the hard way.

20 hours ago, deathbydanish said:

maybe someplace like Desolation Point might be more believable.

The place the game is set is Great Bear Island. I don't see boars being strong ocean-swimmers, nor can I picture any of the locals bringing them to the island.

14 hours ago, JAFO said:

The place the game is set is Great Bear Island. I don't see boars being strong ocean-swimmers, nor can I picture any of the locals bringing them to the island.

Well if you've been talking to Grey Mother, you'll know who she'd blame for boars being on the island.

I would also like to see beaver families and their dams added to the game! They would fit perfectly in TLD as a medium size animal to hunt between deer and rabbit, one that can be snared or shot, but not killed with stones. I like the idea of their dam or the area around it being a better source of wood too, or having ready cut logs you can take without chopping.

Moose and fox would be good editions, but I don't want to see the game world overpopulated with animals roaming everywhere you look. I think this would hurt immersion more than anything. These would have to be rare sightings.

Chipmunks hibernate in the winter, so I can't picture them running around in TLD. Hunting, processing and cooking them would be unproductive. Rabbits provide little meat as it is. Chipmunks would be harder to kill and provide less - seems pointless to add them.

On 12. 8. 2017 at 3:42 AM, JAFO said:

I don't neccesarily dissagree with your point, I do agree they should not be in the game, but you have your facts wrong.
Wild boar are actually rather good at swimming, boars are one of few big animals located on tropical islands, often swimming from island to island. Now surely there is a big difference in between a freezing canadian ocean, and a warm tropical one, but pointing out that boars are pretty decent at ocean swimming.

And you would also be wrong in the other point - as long as the locals brought pigs along and some ran off, some generations later the pigs would adapt to the freedom and become more boarish.

Either way, I dont like the idea. Boars are not very canadian arctic like animal to me, and their use would be limited to just food...

On 10/08/2017 at 7:40 PM, deathbydanish said:

Also, that's on a game preserve that's fenced and is explicitly marketing canned hunts of boars... seems to me they're being maintained there by humans.

As for wildlife that could be introduced, I'd be thinking that foxes, moose, beavers, and mountain lions would be the wildlife to introduce. Also, mountain lions hunting technique is one that could be really exploited by the devs to crank it up; they typically are stalkers who remain hidden until they attack: it's very rare that anyone attacked by a mountain lion sees the attack coming. This could also be used to create a difficulty setting between Pilgrim and Voyageur so that the difficulty setting would be have more realistic animal behaviour (as realistic animal behaviour goes out the window in Voyageur on up): wolves and bears avoid humans, but mountain lions will attack humans if they think they have the element of surprise.

Another possibility on this hypothetical difficulty setting would be to have wolves and bears become aggressive *while the aurora is active*. It should perhaps be noted that aurorae can be active during the day, just not visible in the sky.... though perhaps there could be a little something something in the sky during the day to indicate that the aurora is on. Carrying a flashlight could also tell you when it's active during the daytime... have an alert pop up that says "the flashlight has started shining" so you know when the aurora is active and know that it's not just lions any more that you have to keep an eye out for... it's "lions and wolves and bears oh my!"

Many of these wildlife suggestions have been previously suggested...and some like the moose were allegedly going to be added. I like beavers and boar too. The boar would be challenging and dangerous. Not sure how I feel about chipmunk?! Dude those are not very big, lol. Maybe squirrels instead....at least those might have a half a kilo of food, lol.

One thing I have not noticed anyone mentioning, but it pisses me off is the amount of calories present in a kilo of various animal meats. This info can be looked up, and the amount of calories in a kilo of animal meat is considerably higher than what we are being offered. The amount of meat we have to eat to not go hungry each day is fairly ridiculous, but part of the problem is the calories per kilo are not anywhere near correct. Especially for rabbits. What do we get? Just under 600 calories per kilo? Try more like 1100 calories....

Two rabbits should meet your caloric requirement for a day of survival....not FOUR! Lol....

11 hours ago, Thrasador said:

...Two rabbits should meet your caloric requirement for a day of survival....not FOUR! Lol....

Although in a realistic sense I would agree with @Thrasador in that the calorie count is not in true proportion to the prey, in the game sense, it sort of does.  If I am correct, the games measure of how many calories you get from specific animals meat is solely based on the degree of difficulty it is to obtain said meat.  It this scenario, rabbits are by far the easiest to obtain and consequently would contain the least calories.  It may not be realistic...but I seem to remember that this is a game.  :)

I would also like to see more female deer, or at least deer with no antlers. it seems all the deer are full grown -full antlered deer. I havent ever been to Canada or fully looked into its wildlife so i am just ignorantly suggesting things. But i think with a variety of deer size and gender might be cool. They would also maybe yield a different amount of meat and hide? 

I also like the idea of wildcats, Beavers and maybe the rare boar. These all could be carefully considered to appear in specific maps of sandbox. This way its not just random unreasonable spawns that end up making the Hinterland world into some wildlife park or zoo. hehe.

Rare sightings and placed in certain zones that make sense to that creature ☻

31 minutes ago, Crimson Foxx said:

I also like the idea of wildcats, Beavers and maybe the rare boar. These all could be carefully considered to appear in specific maps of sandbox. This way its not just random unreasonable spawns that end up making the Hinterland world into some wildlife park or zoo. hehe.

The one I'm in two minds about is the possibility that cougar might be added. It would be cool.. but damn. Areas with rocks high above you would become SO dangerous.. and you'd never see it coming til it hit you. Assuming Hinterland do it reasonably accurately, that is. I might be in Australia, but I have American friends who've told me of the times they've been stalked by a mountain lion, while on horseback no less.. spine-tingling stuff..

Some ways, that would be beyond Interloper, IMO. 

Archived