Add skis

mmvspace

Personally I think that the time it would take someone to craft skis and then set up themselves for using them would not be worth the little benefit gained from using them. It would also have a high chance of injury when being done with 30kg+ on your back.

As a ski instructor, I had to learn what the skis are made out of, the old and the new ones, and I can say with certainty I doubt you would get the hardware to build them, as well as the resources. Not likely.

Now, FINDING ones I could handle, I expect there would be some in Canada wilds. 

Also, we do have ski boots for the modern ski as boots in the game already, relatively new addition, so I expect that is a hint that the skis will eventually make it in.

Now, I see a big potential in skis. Not just for traveling "down", but with a help of some pet (re-tamed dog, a reindeer maybe?) dragging you along could make for a pretty cool way of faster transportation around the world in general.

5 hours ago, henroe32 said:

It would also have a high chance of injury when being done with 30kg+ on your back.

That would be stupid, I have skied with some heavy weight before, and it really doesn't make that much of a difference. Your body compensates for that added way in your drag, you will probably get tired more, but the risk of injury doesn't seem much higher.

The creation or search for skis should be a challenge. But it should benefit those who can do it. I think it will be interesting to move around in the game also on skis. The game will open more opportunities.
Probably enough will only be able to find skis. Also, skis should break down in a certain area. Of course, skis can not be repaired, since there are no tools and equipment.

Advantages of using skis:

1. You can move faster on open and level terrain.
  2. Winter hunt. Convenient deer hunting.
  3. Moving on dangerous areas of ice.
  4. Fishing in hard-to-reach places.
  5. Exploration of the open areas.
  6. The opportunity to escape from the bear.
  7. Passing more complex quests.

Restrictions on the use of skis:

1. Can wear out and break.
  2. They break down in a certain areas.
  3. Can not be repaired.
  4. Risk of serious injury if you crash into anything.

• 3 months later...

yes - skis would be a great add to the game -  normal skis for downhill racing would be great - but the potential danger of serious accidents make them hard to to use and to balance.

I think crosscountry-Skis that can be fixed for small downhill runs, would be the better descision. As there are stones etc. the will have to be repaired . They should be a rare item - Maybe only accessable if you have already 100 day survivided.

This would cause some issues. The game would bug out if you ski into rough terrain most likely. Cross-Country skis would be viable to traveling faster in places like Pleasant Valley and Coastal Highway though. Maybe make Snowshoes instead. That's a much better option and it would make travelling in deep snow much easier.

Archived