PS4 - Game save gone. Spoilers for episode 2.

Oh man me too. That was the third attempt at episode two and my second complete play through having to start completely over. Got through the hunting, did the fishing. Put fish in bin, walked in the door and bam... Game gone. This is really disappointing. I don't think I can start ep 2 over again. Story mode is to unstable to recommend. I haven't even tried survival. I love this game, but my frustration is peaked. This happened post 1.08 update. Seems like the patches keep coming out during my game and that screws it up.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DogFoodEaterPs4 said:

Nope. The thing is do you risk it after a game loss? I have the option to play ep 2 again with no gear. Last time I did that it didn't work out so great. 

What do I do after save loss? I don't play anymore. Simple. There are other games that work that I can spend my time on.

What do I do with this game now that I paid 46.99CAD of my hard earned money for? Wait until they fix it and make sure none of my friends or anyone I know buys this broken game.

@Mel Guille @Patrick Carlson @Raphael van Lierop

You want to fix your game, please?

Hello everyone, even as we have made some progress with game stability and saves, we are still seeing reports of issues, obviously. And we'll continue to work on resolving them for you until we do just that. Thanks again for your understanding. We understand your completely-justifiable frustration around this problem. :coffee:

5 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Hello everyone, even as we have made some progress with game stability and saves, we are still seeing reports of issues, obviously. And we'll continue to work on resolving them for you until we do just that. Thanks again for your understanding. We understand your completely-justifiable frustration around this problem. :coffee:

Is there anyway to confirm that starting over on 1.08 would fix the game save loss? I started over on 1.07 and updated in the middle of my playthrough. The hunting and fishing missions seem to be a major problem for losing games as a great deal of players losses are associated with this part of the game.

Just lost my save. I had the latest 1.08 and it was recognizing my saves... up to the much spoken about fishing/ hunting quests. The save is on my system, the game just doesnt recognize it. Could an update resolve this to get it back? This is the problem with only having 1 save. You lose that save and you lose ALL progress. After playing off and on for a week I really don't want to start over. I feel as though I wasted a lot of time and money on a game that wasn't fully tested before release...

25 minutes ago, Caleb said:

Just lost my save. I had the latest 1.08 and it was recognizing my saves... up to the much spoken about fishing/ hunting/ clothing quest. The save is on my system, the game just doesnt recognize it. Could an update resolve this to get it back? This is the problem with only having 1 save. You lose that save and you lose ALL progress. After playing off and on for a week I really don't want to start over. I feel as though I wasted a lot of time and money on a game that wasn't fully tested before release...

You are not alone. I am not a developer but in my experience I have never seen a developer release a patch to fix game saves. This issue doesn't seem to be corrupting the game saves but making them unrecognizable so perhaps there is a chance but I wouldn't count on it. Again, Hinterland are the only ones who know these answers.

1 hour ago, DogFoodEaterPs4 said:

Is there anyway to confirm that starting over on 1.08 would fix the game save loss? I started over on 1.07 and updated in the middle of my playthrough. The hunting and fishing missions seem to be a major problem for losing games as a great deal of players losses are associated with this part of the game.

That's a very good question and one I will pose to our tech and support team ASAP. 

53 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

That's a very good question and one I will pose to our tech and support team ASAP. 

Thanks so much. I am sure you are on it, but in an attempt to help out with my gameplay experience here are few specifics for the game save loss. 

Entering Jerimiah's cabin after either putting deer meat or fish into the bin completing the quest and immediately entering the cabin.

This can result in save loss. This is odd because the game still recognizes that you have played ep 1 and ep 2 because you have the option to start a new ep 2 game with no gear on the main menu. 

Today i tried to just play a fresh run starting on episode 2(Ps4 1.08 patch) i got to chapter 2 did a few side missions then the game crashed and of course so did the save file. Not exactly sure what is causing this i have a backup that made it all the way to episode 2 chapter 4(back in patch 1.03), but that game is bugged as soon as load up. I can play the file, quit to main menu and load it but if i close application or get a game crash the save is useless and have to load up the backup and start at chapter 4 again. Wish i could give some better feedback to help narrow down the problem, but it seems my save always bugs out anytime in episode 2 chapter 2.

Been backing up my saves with the online upload storage and a USB flash drive. Just backed up my progress and now the game won't recognize it. I was getting ready to fight the bear when this happened. This is the worst experience I've had with a game launch, and if my save file cannot be salvaged I'll be done with this game. Unacceptable.

On 8/11/2017 at 0:01 AM, DogFoodEaterPs4 said:

The hatchet was in the camp office(my bad). But no knife in the huts. Anyways I lost everything again. Deleted and started a new game from scratch. Just in case anyone is interested. Started over after 1.07 patch and not a single crash in Milton. It did crash once leaving the cave to start ep 2. I had to walk through the cave again. I love this game.

I played through a second time and it was there in my game also - but there was a knife in one of the ice fishing huts.  And its all lost again blue screen crash just after leaving the camp office with fish - can't get through the fishing mission.  Just so i understand - the other episodes are dlc at some point in the future ? 

11 hours ago, waterloo33 said:

I played through a second time and it was there in my game also - but there was a knife in one of the ice fishing huts.  And its all lost again blue screen crash just after leaving the camp office with fish - can't get through the fishing mission.  Just so i understand - the other episodes are dlc at some point in the future ?

Yes for DLC.

Thanks for the info on the knives. I must of had snow blindness.

About the crash, this is a known issue and is extremely frustrating. I have got responses from the devs and they are confident that they have a fix for the save loss and that it will be out soon. Raphael (leading dev) has expressed on this forum how sorry Hinterland is and explains what has happened in regards to the PC and console releases. They have been extremely open with the "role out" process on all platforms and the mistakes that were made, and if you are interested you can read about it here.

I personally commend these guys for their honesty and taking full ownership of the problem. I am waiting for the next fix before playing again as I have went through story mode 4 times.

At this point, the only thing one can do is back up their save games to USB and Cloud storage in hopes that if they ever fix the issue they won't break save compatibility. If they wanted to throw console players a bone, they could give everyone that has purchased the game the DLC for free. I've personally wasted too much time on this game to lose all my saves over and over.  This game launch is on the scale of No Man's Sky bad.

13 hours ago, DogFoodEaterPs4 said:

Yes for DLC.

Thanks for the info on the knives. I must of had snow blindness.

About the crash, this is a known issue and is extremely frustrating. I have got responses from the devs and they are confident that they have a fix for the save loss and that it will be out soon. Raphael (leading dev) has expressed on this forum how sorry Hinterland is and explains what has happened in regards to the PC and console releases. They have been extremely open with the "role out" process on all platforms and the mistakes that were made, and if you are interested you can read about it here.

I personally commend these guys for their honesty and taking full ownership of the problem. I am waiting for the next fix before playing again as I have went through story mode 4 times.

I was really impressed by his statement and his genuine concern for his product - that seems to bode well for the future.  But like you I am unwilling to play the story mode again until I can be at least - kinda confidant this issue has been solved.  I never played fallout 3 again after it crashed my save.   And man I killed three deer (I thought I missed - turns out no those first two were going to run all over before dying) - i was rolling in meat! The Donner Party got nothing on Mckenzie.  Four times - kudos to you Sir - Kudos

13 hours ago, waterloo33 said:

I was really impressed by his statement and his genuine concern for his product - that seems to bode well for the future.  But like you I am unwilling to play the story mode again until I can be at least - kinda confidant this issue has been solved.  I never played fallout 3 again after it crashed my save.   And man I killed three deer (I thought I missed - turns out no those first two were going to run all over before dying) - i was rolling in meat! The Donner Party got nothing on Mckenzie.  Four times - kudos to you Sir - Kudos

Yeah, I can't get enough. what can I say? Glutton for punishment. 

The Donner Party. LOL. Cannibalism vs Deer Meat. Tough choice :huntingknife::D.

Good luck out there!

They're taking responsibility yes but the save data loss issue has been a problem on PC during early access for a long time so I find it hard to believe that they were blindsided by this same issue now occuring on consoles. Wintermute is by far the most buggy mode but Survival mode save data loss occurs on ps4 every time in the exact same way from my experience and others I know who have unfortunately put it in their gamer garbage pile. Leaving your starting region and entering an undiscovered main map region seems to be the culprit. The game cannot maintain the memory of your save progress once you start manipulation of items in the new environment and when you load up your file the next time it will be gone everytime. This is definitely one of the worst bugs a game can ever have as nobody wants to play a game where they never know if their progress will still be there or not when loading up again and this must be hurting sales by now as players research before purchasing and unfortunately no one has anything nice to say about this game right now on consoles. I highly advise players to put it on the shelf for now until an absolute confirmation of this issue being resolved has occurred. 

Just downloaded version 1.11 this seems to have fixed the saves however if you read the patch notes on this site if save is corrupted there is no way to restore. I did test one of my backups that i knew would load but not save, with the update it saved. I'm going replay the whole chapter though, i'll report back later. Hopefully with good news.

11 hours ago, Sirdoeboy01 said:

Just downloaded version 1.11 this seems to have fixed the saves however if you read the patch notes on this site if save is corrupted there is no way to restore. I did test one of my backups that i knew would load but not save, with the update it saved. I'm going replay the whole chapter though, i'll report back later. Hopefully with good news.

This is encouraging! Let's hope this is it. Downloading now!

Did a marathon of episode 2 and didn't lose my save even with four game crashes, however a few things still weren't working for me,  the 50 trust flare cache never did spawn(mainly don't care but can't get trophy without it.) and i Couldn't complete the lake gunshots side quest, i didn't take the ammo went back next day and could go in cabin but didn't find anything. The main thing though episode 2 complete with working save, so cheers to hinterland, can't wait for the rest of the episodes. I guess one other thing was odd during chapter 3 i was going to do harvestable plants last but after i did the others it did cutscene for completing the chapter, nothing serious maybe game thought i did it already since i had the items in the bin beforehand.

21 minutes ago, Sirdoeboy01 said:

Did a marathon of episode 2 and didn't lose my save even with four game crashes, however a few things still weren't working for me,  the 50 trust flare cache never did spawn(mainly don't care but can't get trophy without it.) and i Couldn't complete the lake gunshots side quest, i didn't take the ammo went back next day and could go in cabin but didn't find anything. The main thing though episode 2 complete with working save, so cheers to hinterland, can't wait for the rest of the episodes. I guess one other thing was odd during chapter 3 i was going to do harvestable plants last but after i did the others it did cutscene for completing the chapter, nothing serious maybe game thought i did it already since i had the items in the bin beforehand.

Thank you @Sirdoeboy01 . That is great to hear.

16 hours ago, Sirdoeboy01 said:

I have a Survival test file all prepared for every new patch and am happy to report that so far everything seems to be saving properly at this time for me as well. 

Installed the latest patch and downloaded my crashed save (near the end of episode 2) from online storage. No luck, looks like it is corrupted. On my USB drive I had backed up a save from the beginning of episode 2, that one worked. At least I don't have to start from the beginning. Here is my question though: is the game "safe" to play right now? I'll have some time on Sunday, and I would like to play, but not at the risk of a corrupted save for the third time. If anyone has any info, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Archived