Train Trestle?

SnowWalker

Yeah, I hate that place.  I feel physically ill after making the crossing.

But that's why I love this game: it's so quiet and peaceful, and then you have to cross the trestle... with the perfectly-timed music that doesn't cue in until you've already committed yourself.

I'm always cautious with it, but it's never bothered me.. but then, when I was younger I used to walk out and back on this.. back when it was about 30% longer than it is now.. (the authorities had to remove the end part of it after several deaths.. the drop off the end was a lot further than off the sides)

And I stress that I walked, upright.. not on hands & knees, or scooting on your ass, like many people do it!

I initially thought it was impassible on purpose, as it would be insane to try and cross just on the rail. I made that trek at least 15 times though in order to move all my gear from mystery lake over to the Coastal Highway, and am incredibly lucky that I never once attempted to cross it in a blizzard. If it were a thing we could do in game, I would in a heartbeat take plenty of planks from over by the Carter Dam, and craft some safer crossing piece. Few nails, some rocks, maybe put it at two plank thick crossing? That could be a lifesaver, provided one doesn't slip on the ice. 

On 8/7/2017 at 10:38 PM, JAFO said:

but then, when I was younger I used to walk out and back on this.. back when it was about 30% longer than it is now.

I don't think I'd walk out on that thing, lol. I don't like heights too much but it's funny that I don't mind climbing but then again when climbing you're not looking down and you have a good purchase with feet and hands. I don't like standing on the edge of high drops, especially if I'm with someone I don't entirely trust :D

53 minutes ago, Piers Arkan said:

I initially thought it was impassible on purpose, as it would be insane to try and cross just on the rail. I made that trek at least 15 times though in order to move all my gear from mystery lake over to the Coastal Highway, and am incredibly lucky that I never once attempted to cross it in a blizzard. If it were a thing we could do in game, I would in a heartbeat take plenty of planks from over by the Carter Dam, and craft some safer crossing piece. Few nails, some rocks, maybe put it at two plank thick crossing? That could be a lifesaver, provided one doesn't slip on the ice. 

I fell off of it once, into the long dark. Way back when we were first able to go to CH I think, and I don't think there were difficulty modes yet either. I had crossed it a couple times already and I guess I got too cocky and went over the rail too fast. I went a little too far when going sideways and fell. It was on one of the longest runs I had ever had thus far. Maybe about 40 days, so I was really bummed out that I had been so careless. Never fell off it again but I still get vertigo when walking across that thing.

On 8.8.2017 at 0:21 AM, Nervous Pete said:

Every time I wrestle with that trestle, to the point where I greatly prefer starting in other regions to try and put off going over that horrifying bridge.

Before you wrestle with the trestle - do you drink the brew that is true from the vessel with the pestle?

• 3 weeks later...

I got uneasy the first time, but now I just cross it over with ease, I crouch and walk straight, stop on the middle, turn, walk a bit, turn, walk further. It is actually very easy, and despite having a problem with heights, I just dont look down to get that vertigo.

I find it funny how people feel vertigo crossing over that trestle part, but dont seem to have much a problem with crossing over fallen trees in the game. That is the optical illusion - if you fall off the trestle, you will die. But if you fall off them trees, you will die as well - but because those areas are not as open as the trestle, people dont seem to notice too much.

Just crouch walk over these and you will be fine. In real life crossing that trestle would likely be impossible - there has to be some pretty strong winds on top of it, I reccon, because it is just so open.

Always loved these games where you have "much to lose" by dying putting things like this in your path. One mistake and bye bye progress. That is probably what causes people to shoot other players on sight in games like DayZ, and people get vertigo in a game like TLD - the desperation to not lose all the progress you have made.

4 hours ago, Simone Else said:

I dare you to do it at night with no light source...haha . I double dare you.. and no stopping

Ive done that a couple of times by now. I never use light sources during night, and the train trestle is usually pretty well illuminated even during the night. And since that area is an outdoor area altogether, I cross through ravine all the time, rather then going through mines and around through PV, because used to be that would waste my light resources. I guess not anymore since Torches can now be pulled out of a fire directly. 
I almost fell doing this once, when my hand jerked. Now I respect it more, and I do take my time crossing over, it is not worth rushing such areas.

On 8/29/2017 at 5:00 AM, Mroz4k said:

I find it funny how people feel vertigo crossing over that trestle part, but dont seem to have much a problem with crossing over fallen trees in the game.

Nope I get it on the trees also sometimes. What I find funny is how in other games it doesn't bother me at all. For instance, as Styx I went out on the flying ship's point just to see if he could, and even though he's a good climber he will still die when he falls from too high. You can see the ground far below going by and clouds flying past and it's very windy up there but I never get that vertigo in other games. Maybe it has something to do with third person, idk, because Assassin's Creed or Lara Croft doesn't bother me when high up either. Dishonored is first person though and you can get pretty high up with Corvo or Emily too but it doesn't bother me. Then again, they have 'Blink' and 'Far Reach', so you know you're pretty safe. TLD makes you feel like it's just you, in real life, and you have to cross that thing on a wing and a prayer.

20170824033355_1.jpg

20170824033900_1.jpg

I don't usually get vertigo from a game, though I have felt it in real life. It's weird though, as a kid I never had vertigo. I was afraid of heights and falling, but looking down from up high never made me dizzy....or feel like I was falling. Now though, I seem to have developed some amount of vertigo...

Maybe it was all the acid I took in college when going to raves...?

Anyway, I am super carefully on that bridge, because I have read horror stories about players falling off....or some people would cross it too fast and "clip" through it....

I don't want to fall and die in Sandbox obviously....so I try really hard not to, lol. The tree limb before that train trestle almost got me once though....overconfidence....was going too fast. I didn't fall through....almost fell!

8 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Anyway, I am super carefully on that bridge, because I have read horror stories about players falling off....or some people would cross it too fast and "clip" through it....

I fell off my first time, though it was on a Pilgrim run I was using to practice so I didn't mind.  I tried side-stepping to move to the other rail instead of turning and looking down.  I suddenly realized that the tracks were rising, just as if I were in an elevator going down.  Whoops!

The interesting thing is that you fall so slowly there's time to hit escape and quit the game before you die, if you're willing to do that.

I haven't fallen since, but I'm always careful now, and I always feel ill afterwards.

13 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

Maybe it has something to do with third person, idk, because Assassin's Creed or Lara Croft doesn't bother me when high up either. Dishonored is first person though and you can get pretty high up with Corvo or Emily too but it doesn't bother me.

Yea, like I said somewhere before, I think it is subconciously because of a fear of "dying and losing your progress" - that is the core difference between TLD and the rest of these games. If you die in TLD, it is game over, you get to start again. In all of those other games, you have constant saves and autosaves happen, so if you mess up, no big deal, just gotta go all over from a checkpoint. 
Its why I think games like DayZ encourage the "worst" in people - in that particular game, 90% of people will start shooting at you without even a warning, because everyone is just soo affraid of dying and losing their loot. I have a feeling this is how a real life apocalypse would go, as well. People just killing each other on sight out of sheer fear for their life (though not everyone would be actually able to pull the trigger on another person, at least one can hope)

Thats why I think we feel vertigo in TLD sometimes when crossing over. It is much easier to get so "into" the TLD because if you die, there is no going back, much like in real life and unlike those other games.

On 9/7/2017 at 11:56 AM, Mroz4k said:

Thats why I think we feel vertigo in TLD sometimes when crossing over. It is much easier to get so "into" the TLD because if you die, there is no going back, much like in real life and unlike those other games.

That is true for the most part but knowing you're not going to die and/or will be able to reload doesn't always work because I remember now another time in another game that I got vertigo. There is a new walking-sim mystery out called 'What Remains of Edith Finch', just a superb little game and when it comes down in price I'd urge everyone to try it. Anyone who's played it was very surprised by it in that it is so unique and uses techniques and mechanics and styles that I've never, ever encountered before. Sure it's a bit moving and touching but also so different in the way they tell each character's story. I just loved it and for a two to three hour game, I thought the launch price was worth it.
Anyway, in the story there's a part where a kid is on a swing in first person and he tries to swing high enough to go all the way around and over the top of the swing. The swing is near a cliff....and yep, I got vertigo while doing the swinging part.

Archived