If the crisis is global....

Volatile

Aye, MacKenzie doesn't know it but he's lucky being on Great Bear Island. One of the strong points of Wintermute is that the background world story is actually quite neatly done, and is a three stage catastrophe, rather than everything rolled into one as I thought it would be. I'll be writing a bit about in a future post, and though I may have beefs with some of the dialogue, I think a genuinely compelling apocalypse scenario unfolds in Wintermute, one that has surprised me in its details.

That's one of the appeals of the TV series Jericho.  The US has most of its major cities destroyed by nuclear weapons, plunging the entire nation into chaos. But you only see it from the perspective of one little town in Kansas who only actually witnessed Denver, CO being destroyed.  You are left with the mystery of what is going on outside, only getting fed little tidbits.

And one person knows what is going on.

35 minutes ago, Samsonguy920 said:

That's one of the appeals of the TV series Jericho.  The US has most of its major cities destroyed by nuclear weapons, plunging the entire nation into chaos. But you only see it from the perspective of one little town in Kansas who only actually witnessed Denver, CO being destroyed.  You are left with the mystery of what is going on outside, only getting fed little tidbits.

And one person knows what is going on.

I really wish they never canceled that show. The acting was a little on the soap-opra-y side which may have turned off some people...but the general plot for the show was epic....and the guy who seemed to be most in the know, was the black dude who plays Morgan on The Walking Dead....I like that guy....

And yes, I know he's British like Rick IRL, and he is in Snatch the movie too....also he played a pimp in Hung the series...

That's exactly what I told my friend the other day when we were talking about The Long Dark and a possibility of a cataclysm happening to us (Yellowstone, for instance). When you think about most survival games and post-apocalyptic movies, they always take place some time after the event itself. Fallout, for instance. You see the aftermath when people have already learned to deal with the new reality, but they never show what happened right after.

Jericho is an excellent example of an exception to that rule, although it also shows a tight-knit, small community that chose to help one another (in most cases). In cities, it would be total chaos. Looting, murders, rape, abductions... and nowhere to go if you want to run away from it all. 

That's why, yeah, Will is quite lucky compared to people being stuck in big cities. 

flightmap.png

This is a map of plane positions in the air at a certain time.  Most are concentrated around municipalities, in holding patterns waiting for clearance to land.  We see what happens to a small private prop plane during the Lights, so it approaches unfathomable proportions to think of what happens to all of these passenger and cargo planes and the devastation those over cities and land would cause.

Archived