PC Story save not detected

persistentfrog

So my computer crashed and not the story mode save doesn't seem to be detected. The save data is still there but when I start the game the story mode doesn't have a continue just a new game button. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? If more info is needed I'll try to provide it.

Thanks.

TLD save data.png

Hi again devs,

I'm sure you're all busy with other immediate patches, but I was wondering if I should keep waiting for a fix (if its in the near future) or just start something new (and not play when it's raining or something)

I would really like to keep playing on the save in the image above if possible, but I just can't access it anymore for some reason.

Thanks

Unfortunately I don't believe anything can be done. I learned from a similar topic thread a while ago, even though the game saves at certain specific spots like entering a house, sleeping, etc. Even if you don't crash in the middle of one of those saving "moments" the save game can still be corrupted if your system crashes. I guess they use an "open save system" (I think that is what someone called it). So even though it specifically saves at certain spots, in between the saves the save is collecting everything you are doing in the game between the saves, and then adds all the new information during the next actual save.

So your save was open....you did stuff in the game that was being continuously added, then you lost power before the new information was officially added during the next real save....

I don't know why that's the way they do it, and I don't know enough about programming to know if there is a better way to avoid this situation....but it is what it is...

The only remedy to this situation is to regularly back up your saves to another folder in case this happens....

7 minutes ago, stan_marsh said:

That makes 12 days since Aug 1 launch that this game doesn't keep saves.

Well, he lost power. That one wasn't really a bug. It was because he lost power....which isn't really good for computers to just suddenly power off anyway....

On 8/6/2017 at 6:04 PM, persistentfrog said:

So my computer crashed and not the story mode save doesn't seem to be detected. The save data is still there but when I start the game the story mode doesn't have a continue just a new game button. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? If more info is needed I'll try to provide it.

Thanks.

TLD save data.png

On 8/8/2017 at 4:21 AM, spammathon said:

This also happened to me too, and I also have the save still

Capture.PNG

Just so you're aware, "user001" isn't your save file. Also, the "save001" and "save002" folders are legacy stuff from pre-Wintermute, and no longer used by the game.

Since Wintermute, "ep1sandbox1", "ep1story1" and "ep1sandbox2" respectively, (in the pics above) are your game-save files. Those are what you'd need to back up, if you were to do so.

3 hours ago, spammathon said:

Ah okay

So I guess I could just copy the ep1sandbox1 file to another place for safekeeping (in a future sandbox run), then put it back into the TheLongDark folder just in case I were to lose saves again?

Yep, that should work.

Just an FYI, to get a backup save to work close completely out of the game before copying it over. It will keep loading the old save if you don't....

Archived