Let us make bandages great again!

Mroz4k

Bandage overhaul  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Hotzn said:

So to sum it up - I am voting "no" to the poll suggestions. Not because they are bad, but because in my eyes other issues should have higher priority.

The polls are almost a month old, and it was meant as a feedback for me to see where the people stand on those suggestions. Never was it meant to point that a FA system needs to be reworked right now.

However, I fully dissagree that reworking the FA system is not rewarding enough. And you said it yourself, with your comment on the current sprain system... as of right now, based on what I saw on these forums so far, the first aid system is most likely the least liked mechanic in the entire game. And understandably - it is rather obnoxious with the way its mechanics are done - however at the same time, because of the way it works right now, it allows for more possibilities in the future... at the moment, if you try to treat a sprain with a bandage, it says that it didnt do anything - which makes somewhat sense because bandage is intended for blood loss... but it opens up a chance to make the FA system more immersive, by taking that bandage and using it to secure an injury it was not meant for directly - perhaps making the injury less serious. Survival is a lot about improv - and while its impossible to design improv into a game which is not able to immitate realistic situation, by making one thing useful in more ways it adds to more deep experience. 

I believe that if they were to re-work the FA system to make it more HUD-friendly and more immersive, it would be very welcomed by most players. But of course, you cant please anyone. I know that I have a similar opinion on the current afflictions like @Timber Wolf does and a lot of other forum members here - that wolf struggles and general afflictions are at the moment more of a nuisenance, but if there was a chance of more serious, even lasting afflictions, it could definitedly re-shift people´s priorities and in that way, enrich the gameplay. Kind of like the introduction of smelliness forced people to adapt to this new wolf behaviour, when it used to be able to sneak-past wolves from very close away with a bag full of meat.

1 hour ago, TROY said:

This though, is total Hollywood first aid.  Cauterizing a wound is NEVER a good idea. NEVER.   Direct pressure, either on the wound, or on an arterial pressure point, (ideally, both) will stop even the most severe bleeding.

I suppose we could discuss this further but I really dont want to argue. I admit that quaterization and tourniquets have been portaited by movies in a ridiculous light, but as far as "last resort solutions" go, they have been used and are being used to this day. Just recently I have seen "the Grey" which is a total Hollywood bullshit and I just laughed my ass off a the FA in that movie (and movie in general, especially Liam Neelson saying the "wolves are man-killers", what a box office bullshit...), but the actual real life practises do work.

We are now talking about the field surgeries, something ordinary people should not attempt unless there is no other choice - and your comment on applying direct pressure on the would stopping even the most severe bleeding is wrong. Injuries happen when the bleeding wound cannot be clamped down, so direct pressure cannot stop bleeding, even with a whole team of doctors - if the artery is split down the middle and the tear is a centimeter long, its a farewell - the most direct pressure will do is prolong suffering. In fact, in those cases localized quarterization can be the last possible shot one might have, assuming it works, which it often doesnt.

I think a lot of people here are taking too much into consideration what they were taught over the years by the american healthcare and education. Which I think is a mistake, american healthcare is at the level of stone age compared to european, and most of the world - even Cuba has a lot better healthcare then the US. Met quite a few people who believed that blood in veins is blue, and would argue it with me because they were taught this in school.

The truth is, quarterization and tourniquets do not stop bleeding - they simply slow it down, significantly. The idea in that case is that a massive bleeding is reduced to small bleeding, which the body will eventually seal on its own, to which point you simply need to keep the wound elevated and give patient a lot of water. Direct pressure and "stitching" works on the same principle as well - but is only effective if done by a trained person. Its benefit is that it doesnt destroy more tissue like quarterization does - which is why hospitals dont utilize such quarterization in surgeries (except for modern electro quarterization or the chemical one) - that particular method is very brutal, and the patient can quite easily die of shock as a result. But both those methods have long history, albeit with rather small effectiveness. If there is a myth about quarterization, its that it disinfects the wound, which it doesnt - quite opposite, actually. It causes massive damage to tissue which is inviting for infection. 

I dont really want to see self-quarterization in the game, but if I knew I had no other choice then perform it or die in real life, I would take that chance. Sometimes you just dont have another choice. 

I studied medical history pretty extensively on my first university during my first semester. I think most people in here would be amazed how succesful ancient surgeries used to be, even 5000 years before Christ... many of that knowledge is lost to our world by this point. Especially interesting to me were trepanations, which were surgeries performed by people in Paleolite on other members of their tribe, usually by the shaman. And the bone discoveries showed that the patients survived this, and made a recovery - for those who dont know, I am talking about people in Stone age, performing "brain surgery" with a sharp rock, which was used to drill a hole into a skull to relieve the pressure from a brain swelling, usually caused by a blunt force trauma after being hit in the head with a club by an enemy, or during a hunt. Those people survived it and made a recovery.

Do not diss the methods that worked and were used for thousands of years based on what the modern medicine told you. If the choice is to perform quarterization or die, take that chance. 

I agree with you, @TROY, about your comment on the bloody bandages. Of course infection will not come immidiatedly - but truth is that if the blood on the rag already became infected, then applying antiseptics will likely not help you anyways. Short exposure to alcohol will not kill most bacteria, the purpose of antiseptic is to turn a wound into an enviroment where bacteria have difficulty to multiply, it only kills them on longer exposure. That is why surgical tools will often rest inside of highly concentrated alcohol for hours.
Also, it is sort of a pointless thing, to remove bleeding just to get immidiatedly infection, I simply said it would be instant for the game balance sake.

The most realistical approach and approach I would like the most is when the bleeding would be stopped, but somewhere from 2-3 ingame hours later, the player would immidiatedly get infection. This I think is the best way to make it work, and the most realistical. Well, IRL it would take more then 6-8 hours but for the sake of gameplay, 2-3 seem better, and maybe even more brutal.

• 3 months later...

Archived