Guide for the Hoarder

pigbull320

Here's a quick 'quide' I've made over my 120 hours of playing and the 5 trips to timberwolf i've made.

Spawn in mystery lake and no matter where you are make your way to the Trapper's homestead, If you spawn in the camp office or near any buildings don't loot, just go. Then go to the deadfall area for the axe (if it spawned in the broken hut).

Then make your way to the camp office. Then you can backtrack to the rails and follow the rails until you get to the hydro dam. From there you exit the dam (at the base of the dam, in the river a wolf always spawns so either make a fire and agro the wolf then run to the fire so he whimpers off, then run down the river or shoot him) and follow the river to the cave. Then you exit the cave into Pleasant valley.

From the cave you turn immediately to your right and walk past the body. (There's a bear cave and possible bear in your way here so tread lightly and don't stop running if you see the bear). Make your way to the road and travel left to Signal hill radio tower. From there you're going to 'cheese' down the side of the mountain to the Farmstead.

The farmstead is where I live and horde all my stuff.

From there you can go to timberwolf mountain. 

Once in timberwolf you can travel to the Ice fishing hut and from there you go up the river directly across from the hut until you see an opening on the right or the river, from there you go right then left up the hill and go straight towards the engine. Then you go thru cave C to D and walk up the hill to the cave then turn right and then turn left and go straight to the rope. Once up go forward until the fork then turn left and keep going until you have to turn left. Then turn left again and keep going forward  until you reach another rope from the you can go thru cave B to A then turn right and curve around towards the rope that will take you to the summit.

Once at the summit you can turn left and there will be a cave you can sleep in or shelter (be warned that even with the best clothing if a storm hits and you don't have a fire sleeping will kill you) then loot the plane taking the flare and whatever else you need (small tip the storage boxes need a hacksaw to open and each container has two boxes on them, I missed this my first few times and only looted half the items) from there you will leave the summit and go forward to a cave that has a mountaineer's rope (((you can get a rope in the cave at the summit, in the hut at the base of the mountain and a few other places) It's best to get one later since they're so heavy) Might also note to make sure you're not crouching, the first time I went to the summit I didn't realize I was and almost died in a blizzard traveling like a turtle). then you will travel past cave A and go down the rope, then turn left and (there could be a bear there so be careful not to go to your right) go to the rope and deploy the rope you picked up earlier and then go down and turn left past cave C, and from there you can go past the engine and to the hut and back to Pleasant valley.

Note: I found you can 'cheese' down mountains by going a little bit forward tapping W then S a split second later. This way you go an inch at a time. It's kind of an exploit devs should patch. You can go down literally any mountain as long as it's not  a 90° angle.

Tips:

• You can sort your hoarded items in your house by right clicking them while they're on the ground, it will highlight the object green so you can then rotate it or arrange them in order in lines.
  • Repair clothing. This will increase your chances significantly. Such a small thing can add 10-15 degrees of warmth allowing you to walk outside and gain heat.

• You need it to feel like it's 32 degrees to stay warm.

• Once your warmth runs out and you start to freeze check your status to make sure your 'risk for hypothermia' doesn't turn to 'hypothermia'.

• Carrying a crowbar (earliest one found in the dam in the room next to the one with the safe) is only worth it in pleasant valley and while in the damn. Everywhere else it's too heavy. You don't need one for timberwolf mountain.

• Before the climb to timberwolf mountain there's a hut, behind the hut and the big branch there's an abandoned prepper cache with a hacksaw and a locked locker.

• Don't shoot bears with the rifle, it only pisses them off, it takes around 4-8 bullets to kill a bear and even from the other side of the map they will run and get to you before you get 3 shots off. Only way to kill a bear is to either use a building to go in and out of or shoot them with a flare gun. Once shot they will run away and bleed to death so chase after them.

• Dealing with wolves wait until they're 5ft in front of you and charging at a straight line, don't try and shoot them 50ft away and waste a bullet scaring them off for them to only come back and using another bullet.

• While harvesting meat build a fire to thaw it out and keep it thawed. The fire will scare away wolves as well.

• In a struggle use the knife above all else to defend against the wolf, it works the fastest.

• Before entering the hydro dam take all your clothes off, once inside put just enough clothes on (only the high health stuff) so you don't freeze. A wolf, fluffy, CAN spawns in the dam. She's tougher than other wolves.

• Cracking safes you tap A turning it counterclockwise until it clicks and the first number unlocks, then tap D turning it clockwise to the next number then A again until you get the third number. You can either do it slowly or hold the button down and remember where the number was then go back to zero and repeat.

• A rifle can spawn next to the stairs in the dam.

• 10-12 cattails a day is all you really need, more or less if you're traveling or sprinting.

• You walk faster and use less food with a lighter backpack.

• If you're leaving your home and going exploring or traveling to another region don't take much food or water or fuel. Make sure you're under 50 pounds. 44 if prefered.

• Don't hold the aim on the rifle for too long or it will begin to sway, it's best to aim in, aim in front of the dear a bit, aim out, wait a second, aim in, line up your shot and fire. Don't try and quickscope or hardscope, take your time with the shot. 

• NEVER carry more than 0.40 gallons of water. A gallon weighs 8 pounds and in a game where a single pound or degree and can mean life or death, over carrying water really matters.

• NEVER sleep in the fishing hut the base of timberwolf mountain without a fire going that lasts longer than you sleep. If a storm hits while you're sleeping you will die. Don't take the risk. Get some wood and build a 13 hour fire. You can even bring wood with you to timberwolf and drop it off there.

• It's not worth it to carry around peroxide (the black medicine bottle) unless it's early game.

Hope these helped if people have any suggestions for tips or I think of more I'll add them in.

Edited by pigbull320
  • Upvote 4

There are far, far easier and also relatively safer ways to get both to the top of the Timberwolf´s and to get down from there. Especially with the current 30kg limit on how much you can climb down with since Faithful (unless they changed it again, haven't had the time to play the newest update yet, will tomorrow since it's my first day off since it came out). But maybe you are one of those people who believe that scaling down cliffs is an "issue" or "abuseable bug" or whatever.

The biggest "logical" issue with your guide I see already is that you would stop for the drops that are on the plateau over the lake as first. Those should be the last, because the loot you get there is very close to wolves so you don't want to risk a bite and a sprained limb (stops you from being able to climb until healed, so painkillers or sleep delay), and also because it would add onto your weight. Only Dropboxes you should loot on your way up are the ones that are too far away to be reasonably looted on a "leisure" day from the Mountaineers hut. I recommend looting engine boxes first because the easiest path to top leads right over them.

Rvg9Crq.png

The easiest way up and down the Tail section: Blue & purple line. Blue depicts ascending, purple depicts descending. Yes, it crosses "over the map edges" - those are the sections where you need to carefully scale the cliffs, it not that difficult but you should be careful nonetheless.

Orange line: Alternative way down to help collect the "rest" of the boxes.

Red line: alternative paths of "least resistance" in terms of terrain, but high animal dangers.

Reccomended trips: Trip 1: Follow blue line, scale down the mountain towards Engine. Loot boxes, take items with you. Continue towards second set of crates along the blue line. Drop items from box 1 into Box 2, continue forth lighter. Climb to the Cave 2 (Cave B). Here you can rest up in the warmth of the cave and should do so, be fully rested before taking on the Summit. Alternatively, use emergency syringe to climb to Summit with ease. Plenty of firewood in the summit, keep fires burning long and hot while looting. Scale down the cliffs encumbered. Gather the last set of boxes on that line and get to Hut.
Trip 2: 2 Choices, either take the same route all the way to Dropbox no. 2 (the one which now has the items from the Engine part as well, the one that is on deer clearing). Another riskier way is to go down the first red path. Saves a lot of energy and can choose to loot the boxes along the way, but I recommend to leave those boxes on an individual last trip. 
Continue past boxes 2 and loot them. Take the second red line, get to the drop boxes, then continue along the orange one. Pick up all the straggling boxes along the way.
Trip 1 is easy to repeat, only really need the player to chill and regain his heat.
Orange road - necessary to remember that only 30 kg below can make a trip up and down a rope.

Too tired to think now.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

There are far, far easier and also relatively safer ways to get both to the top of the Timberwolf´s and to get down from there.

There's usually always a better way. Your guide is the best for taking advantage of the cheesing, which I will be doing next time I visit timberwolf. Mine would probably be the best if they managed to patch the cheesing down mountains.

Your route is faster, safer, and allows for more carrying. I'm going to leave mine up for if they ever patch cheesing.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pigbull320 said:

There's usually always a better way. Your guide is the best for taking advantage of the cheesing, which I will be doing next time I visit timberwolf. Mine would probably be the best if they managed to patch the cheesing down mountains.

Your route is faster, safer, and allows for more carrying. I'm going to leave mine up for if they ever patch cheesing.

I don't consider it cheesing. It is more dangerous descent, in fact, it is likely you will sprain a limb or two during those descents which in the first part of the route is a problem as you need to pull yourself up a rope. Part of the survival is ability to determine an easier way to do things, this would be one of them. The descents of the path are somewhat dangerous because if you make a mistake, you might find yourself standing on top of the cliff, unable to go up because it is too steep, and your only choice is to jump off. Also, descending too fast can make you fall, take damage, sprain something or tear your clothes. It offers plenty of rewards, but there are demerits to it as well.

Believe it or not, the first red route is better than the one you suggested - going through the first cave is long, a bit risky due to a dead drop, and drains a lot of energy, not to mention you need to get up there which takes a lot of effort because your way goes high up the slope. Then you have to trek a long way out of the first cave to get to the rope.

The first red route is more dangerous cause it goes close to a major wolf meeting place and a bear den, but you can usually sneak past them and get over the fallen tree all the way up to the rope that leads Deer clearing with much more of the day left and a lot more saved energy. It looks like it is a lot longer route, but it is not, since it's a lot easier terrain. You walk most of it on a plain, then a bit down towards the fallen tree, then for a while it goes up, and you are by the first rope.

As for going back down, I would argue that easier way down is by taking a rope which you can find inside of the Cave AB close to the exit from A, and tie it to the rock there, and use that to descend into the middle of the second red line. Then you would make the way down the same way you came up - after going down the rope at Deer clearing, you could have either go the first red route or through the Cave CD.

Cave CD is useful mostly because of its temperature, its a good rest stop on the way up but it takes too long and is an exhausting "climb" to get up to the first cave. Same goes for Cave AB

Your route makes more sense if you wish to loot the additional boxes. If that is the case, I would argue you shouldn't go up to the Summit, but rather after you go through the cave AB, scale the rope down and tie the second one, loot the boxes and make a trip down to the Mountaineers. Because the Summit requires full energy to climb it, and there is so much loot up there you wouldn't have much to carry down for 30 kg limit if you looted it.  You would visit the Summit on your second way up there. Additionally, you can take a "shorter more exhausting" route to summit afterwards, by simply climbing up the two ropes you just tied up. But from my experience, that route is not that easy. However, if you take Bedroll (and you always should take one when going up the summit), you can rest a bit in Cave CD, climb the two ropes, rest in AB, and climb to the top. In terms of sheer playing, it is way faster, but in terms of in-game progress, you will be spending 2-3 days climbing up the mountain this way. Depends on what you would prefer.

Note reference: Not even necessary to go down the way you describe, if you crouch, you can get down that route a bit faster, by dropping down bit by bit. 
Again, don't think this is a glitch abuse. Just an alternative approach. Don't forget the map you used is made by players, not Hinterland. It is there to show "steep" cliffs but that does not mean it can't be used. If Hinterland wanted to prevent this sort of "cheesing", there would be an invisible wall by that route down, or just another cliff which would go down 90°s for a bit to make it impossible to scale it without dying. But that route is opened, in fact, there is a "rock" carving which makes it look almost as an intentional "natural" way. Hinterland put invisible walls to some cliffs around the maps already, can't see why they wouldn't use it to prevent the descent spots if they wished to do it.

I feel like that it is mostly only people who consider it "cheesing" call it a glitch, I see no glitch at all.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, pigbull320 said:

Tips:

• 1. You need it to feel like it's 32 degrees to stay warm.

• 2. Once your warmth runs out and you start to freeze check your status to make sure your 'risk for hypothermia' doesn't turn to 'hypothermia'.

• 3. Before the climb to timberwolf mountain there's a hut, behind the hut and the big branch there's an abandoned prepper cache with a hacksaw and a locked locker.

• 4. Don't shoot bears with the rifle, it only pisses them off, it takes around 4-8 bullets to kill a bear and even from the other side of the map they will run and get to you before you get 3 shots off. Only way to kill a bear is to either use a building to go in and out of or shoot them with a flare gun. Once shot they will run away and bleed to death so chase after them.

• 5. Dealing with wolves wait until they're 5ft in front of you and charging at a straight line, don't try and shoot them 50ft away and waste a bullet scaring them off for them to only come back and using another bullet.

• 6. While harvesting meat build a fire to thaw it out and keep it thawed. The fire will scare away wolves as well.

• 7. In a struggle use the knife above all else to defend against the wolf, it works the fastest.

• 8. Before entering the hydro dam take all your clothes off, once inside put just enough clothes on (only the high health stuff) so you don't freeze. A wolf, fluffy, CAN spawns in the dam. She's tougher than other wolves.

• 9. Cracking safes you tap A turning it counterclockwise until it clicks and the first number unlocks, then tap D turning it clockwise to the next number then A again until you get the third number. You can either do it slowly or hold the button down and remember where the number was then go back to zero and repeat.

• 10. A rifle can spawn next to the stairs in the dam.

• 11. 10-12 cattails a day is all you really need, more or less if you're traveling or sprinting.

• 12. You walk faster and use less food with a lighter backpack.

• 13. If you're leaving your home and going exploring or traveling to another region don't take much food or water or fuel. Make sure you're under 50 pounds. 44 if prefered.

• 14. Don't hold the aim on the rifle for too long or it will begin to sway, it's best to aim in, aim in front of the dear a bit, aim out, wait a second, aim in, line up your shot and fire. Don't try and quickscope or hardscope, take your time with the shot. 

• 15. NEVER carry more than 0.40 gallons of water. A gallon weighs 8 pounds and in a game where a single pound or degree and can mean life or death, over carrying water really matters.

• 16. NEVER sleep in the fishing hut the base of timberwolf mountain without a fire going that lasts longer than you sleep. If a storm hits while you're sleeping you will die. Don't take the risk. Get some wood and build a 13 hour fire. You can even bring wood with you to timberwolf and drop it off there.

• 17. It's not worth it to carry around peroxide (the black medicine bottle) unless it's early game.

1. Or you can just use Celsius degrees instead, which means 0°C to keep your temperature stagnant.

2. This is hardly a tip, more like a general way-to-play. It would be a tip if you told people how to quickly swap to it to check the percentage fast. Basically, press "space" on the keyboard for radial menu and click the middle, this brings up your "status" where you can see the percentage. Ideally, don't let it pass 60% mark.

3. You suggest not to bring your crowbar but in here, you need it. Also, you are technically wrong.
There is a CHANCE of having few locked boxes and a SMALL CHANCE of it spawning a hacksaw. You have much better chance to find hacksaw in the Mountaineers hut further up the TWM. But there are likely to be from 1-3 locked lockers in the Abandoned prepper´s cache.

4. Most of this tip is wrong. First of all, you can kill a bear with a single shot, with ANY weapon. It is just unlikely to happen for a flare gun, and for the gun. First of all, you should not bring the rifle to TWM in the first place. It's very heavy, bring a bow instead. Additionally, if you wish to scale the mountain, you shouldn't kill "anything" - harvesting it just takes time and energy, you should try to avoid hunting altogether. And finally, the reason you shoot at bears so much is because you are clearly trying to shoot it from too far away. Rifle in the game has no bullet-drop, but very unrealistically limited "range" - TLD intends the rifle to be used for mid-range hunting. You probably take the first shot at bear without hitting it because it is too far away, and then it charges you. If you use your rifle the way it is meant, you can hardly pull off a second shot before the animal reaches you. It is more useful to use a Lure to lure the bear closer, then try to shoot it in the right eye for a solid chance at critical hit.
EVERY SINGLE SHOT IS A KILL IF YOU LAND A HIT. The bear will just take time to bleed out, and if he can reach you and you used rifle, he will charge you. Better to try and take him out from a far with a silent bow shot, but arching of bow makes it pretty difficult. But if the bear doesn't know where you are and gets hit by the arrow, it will start running away as if shot by the flare gun. The comment it takes 4 shots to bring a bear down is a lie. All it takes is one, and a lot of time. Putting more and more bullets in him is pointless waste of ammo because it will not make bleeding faster (as far as I know at least) but you are only rolling a chance that the bear will get critically hit and instantly killed instead of bleeding out. Don't waste more than 1 shot when hunting.

5. This is an unnecessary risk altogether. If they spot you, throw down a piece of bait, back away, the wolf will make a bee line slowly approaching the bait, take a shot when it comes into your sights and is rather close to you. But ultimately, if you want to be a ranger, you should not waste bullets on wolves, using arrows is better since they can be reclaimed. Shoot for head to get an instakill.

6. It takes ages to thaw a carcass. This is only really useful if we are talking about the processing of a bear. Or if you don't have tools. But be ready to use lots of fuel for that campfire.
Harvesting carcasses with more animals around are just a bad idea - clear the area first then harvest the spoils.
Fire is mostly useful for keeping a fresh carcass unthawed.

7. Research performed by other forumers shows that the most efficient tool to use is axe. You probably thought the knife is the fastest in comparison of different attacks in your experience, but the most deciding factor here is how tired your character is. But axe is the best - it makes the wolf bleed the most and is powerful in deterring him from attacking you. Also, if you managed to wound to wolf during his charge (like with an arrow for example) he will let you go almost instantly regardless of the tool selected. Knife could be faster as a tool, I suppose, but it will not quarantee the wolf to die, when axe is a sureway solution.

8. Fluffy is just as tough as any other regular wolf. Again, your experience was probably influenced by how tired you were. Fluffy simply looks different, but it is a regular wolf. As for the "clothes" - this is an individual choice. Some clothes provide protection from animal attack, and maybe you will fend the wolf off before it damages your clothes - meaning might be better to leave clothes on. But if you are stripping to begin with, strip everything and don't put on more clothes just because of temperature, if you know you will be attacked. That is just illogical.

9. This is hardly a tip at all. Equal chance you will run over a pin when you go counter clockwise or clockwise. More important point is that "going through a zero" resets a failed attempt. If the pin pops out, go through zero then try again, that's what you should have focused on. The easiest way to open is to just circle around to find pins, remember number close to them, then try again till you know the combination. But this is also hardly a tip, it is just the way safes work in the game.

10. And in hundred other places along the route you described. There can be on below the Train bridge next to the dam. Next one can be inside Signal hill under the bed. Another one by the corpse in a shack on the road from signal hill to Timberwolf if you go down the mountain to the left and follow the road parallel with a river. Or one can be in Farmstead - either upstairs under the King sized bed, or in the office leaning next to a cabinet. Another one can be found next to a corpse close to the Cave from the Timberwolf mountain entrance. The cave even has a bow sometimes, so does the hunting blind close by as well. Another corpse with gun can be found in a Cave close to Skeeter´s ridge. Timberwolf mountain also has a number of rifle spawn points, not to mention that you are likely to get a box with rifle, ammo and cleaning kits when looting the containers.

11. This is wrong. The calorie intake you need hugely depends on what mode you play. Pilgrim, Voyager, Stalker and Interloper all have different speed in which the player uses calories, the foods offer less calories and sleeping & actions consume more calories. This is not a tip at all. A tip would be "you can starve, take some starvation damage, and eat before you sleep to regain your condition to save your calories."

12. No shit, Sherlock. How long did that take you to figure that out? This is just common sense - you can move faster if you don't carry a convenience store on your back. And you use up less energy. What you forgot to mention is that you get tired less if you carry fewer items. A tip would be: Bring a bedroll and minimum of items with you, take fewer clothes as well for a trip up the summit. You will move faster, climb faster and get tired less. Bring coffee to help with the climbs. Sleep in the caves on the bedroll. Collect a lot of sticks along the way, and coal in the caves. This is the easiest way up the mountain and allows you to carry the most of the equipment down.

13. On the contrary, take sufficient food and water reserves. You can always drop water if you like, but it is better for exploring if you don't have to stop by all the time to replenish your drink reserves. Food is a matter of individual preference - I prefer to play by not eating processed food if I can eat meats so I carry a lot of meat and plenty of baits on me when exploring. I tackle most of the wolves I come across and then I loot the dangerous locations, and I replenish my food and bait stores from the wolves I take down. This is really just an individual approach. Don't take food with you if you plan to feed on the cans and energy bars you find while exploring. But always take plenty of water with you.

14. That is mostly your preference as well. It's a decent tip, I guess - but if you hunt for deer, it is easier to just spook them towards cliffs, eventually they will start running back and towards you, the best time to take a shot is when it faces you forward. This is probably a better technique for a bow hunt, however. The easiest rifle deer hunting method is 1sneaking up close to them and taking a shot at their head. You can sneak up pretty close if you go against the wind and you dont smell at all.

15. Ugh. American flozes and pounds. I worked in US for a time so I am familiar with them but it is still such an archaic headache for me. Easier to use IS measures. 1 liter of water = 1 kg of burden. So, 0,40 floz is in TLD 1 liter of water.
I object - better to bring up to 2,5 l to 3 l, because you can always drop water and at least you don't need to replenish it so much by making campfires and wasting matches.

16. OR just trudge along a little bit further into the Mountaineer hut, which is technicaly "indoors", and if you have solid clothes, you don't need a fire going even if a blizzard hits, unless you are playing on Interloper because once again, big difference what game mode you play.

17. Unless you have lot Old man´s beard, it may be worth carrying peroxide around. Also, if you play for long enough, you are likely to use up most of the beards you find, which means it may be worth to consider carrying a peroxide bottle. The difference is not that great - peroxide bottle has 5 uses, and weights 0,7 kg, which relates to 5 beard dressings, which is 0,5 kg together. That is a minimal difference.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

1. Or you can just use Celsius degrees instead, which means 0°C to keep your temperature stagnant.

I'm not quoting everything you said. But most of what you say is just bs. And the other half is opinions.

I'm an American so I play with F not C. I'm used to it.

The pry bar is only WORTH carrying for the dam and up to signal radio tower. You can find other in the barn or elsewhere. There's pry bars in the caves to coastal highway so no need to carry one that distance.

This tip was for new players. Your very first playthrough i'm sure you knew everything.

How the heck do you NEED a crow bar for 1 or 3 lockers. It's not worth the weight. And I said you can find a hacksaw there, not there is a hacksaw. It's just good to check there. If there's not one there's always one in the hut. This isn't something new to for me.

And my hunting advice is sound. Wait for the bear to charge you and shoot it with a flare, he will run away and bleed to death. A gun only gets you hurt. How can you say it only takes one bullet? You shoot him in the face 3 times and they still live. You also miss the point where you get hurt using a rifle

Also you need to hunt wolves for their hide. I have a room with 8 wolf hide, 4 deer, 2 bear, and over 20 rabbit hide. And I've only gotten attacked by an animal twice, once because I forgot to load a flare for the bear and the second because I didn't aim fast enough for the wolf. Using my method if you're good enough you can get unlimited meat.

Also bow is kind of later game unless you go looking for all its spawns and get lucky. Not to mention you have to be kind of good with it. Sure you can shoot a deer and chase it a mile. But one bullet out of the 30 or so I have won't matter. Using decoy is only good in life or death for me, might as well get some food out of it.

Also I said it depends on how you play you need 10-12 cat tails a day. But I mistyped I meant per 'day' as in 12 hours and 'night' you need around 20-24 per day. One an hour. This is on medium difficulty, and this is going off of a scatter plot I made using journals and calories used that day.

Again you miss the point of my tips, they're for newer players. playing for the first time. Of course a grand master champion elite sniper warrior like you doesn't need to be told that weight is bad. When you first start out playing tho you carry around LOT of food and water, days worth. And stay over 70+ pounds for no reason, carrying around every tool and 500 matches.

A few of the things you siad I missed and just don't feel like re-reading everything we wrote.

You have a different playstyle. It seems you like to avoid wolves and bears and just use lighter things.

Edited by pigbull320
  • Upvote 1

Okay, did not mean to pick a fight. My point was, if you want to give out tips, you would do better using the IS system as 80% of the population will understand it better than the American measures. Ideally, you should use both.

Prybar is definitely worth carrying around. The lockers are one of the richest containers you can find, with some high-end loot in them. That is worth the extra kg... not to mention pry bars have other uses, for example fishing (can be used to break the ice) or as an emergency weapon during a wolf struggle. When you are moving around looking for loot, you should carry it, and be careful about its durability, because breaking it while forcing something open will break the lock as well and make it impossible to open with anything else.

My very first playthrough was waaay back when Mystery Lake was the only location in the game and there wasn't much to do in the game in general and the game only had a single difficulty setting. And I guess you could say I knew everything because I used basic logic and my survival experience when approaching the game. My first ever game lasted almost 12 days, which back then was quite a feat in itself, most people did not survive through the first night. 50 days was only reached by the best players during that time, and it was borderline impossible to reach more than a hundred which was only reached through a very careful rationing and boring camping indoors, since cloth, metal (for repairing) and medicine were all resources quickly depleted.

Your hunting tip was ok. It is not that amazing to think about, everyone who ever tried to play the Hunted part 1 would have known about this. It was nothing amazing. And I guess I just prefer killing bears without them even knowing about me, for starters I don't really use rifle to hunt anything, in general (sometimes I use it on deer but I generally just go with a Bow, all the time). But other than that, you know very little about hunting if you think that shooting the game over and over make any sort of meaningful difference. The moment you hit the animal and get a skill point, that animal is dead. It WILL bleed out, eventually. The only difference is when you hit it from a very side with a bow or a bullet and simply "graze" it. That is a bug, the animal will react as if hit, you get a skill point, and there will be blood, but the animal will not be bleeding and will not die eventually. Before giving out tips, you really ought to consider making sure that the tips you give are correct, I would reccomend reading up the wiki about hunting first (even if it's a bit outdated at this point)

You don't need to hunt wolves for hides. You don't need wolf hides. Wolf hides can only help you make wolfskin coat which is pointless to craft - better to go for bearskin coat right away. Wolfskin coat is very heavy and not that good, and its ability to make wolves go running is pretty weak to rely on. Not to mention you need a knife to make it which is quite pointless damage done to your knife. Hides are the one thing I never take from wolves.

I spent over 80 days on Voyager just living in TMW, hunting with a bow. I got attacked by a couple of animals and I got mauled at least twice, once because I tried to take the bear down with a rifle. I had 6 bearskins tanning, two wolfskin coats and at least 4 pieces of every craftable clothing item one can get on top of a mountain of meat, I was at the point where I ruined a few knives and two hatchets. I mainly used the bow to hunt, and this was back when bow hunting had ridiculous sway and no croshairs. Since you so much insist on playing this pissing contest.

If I can find hatchet on day 1, by day 3 I have all the "raw" materials curing for a bow and I can usually make one around day 8 - 10 which is pretty early on, and by that point, I tend to have 2-3 arrows and 2-3 broken arrows in my possesion. I often also find a mediocre bow around Day 3, but the soonest I can craft one is around day 10. They are not that rare to find on Voyager in hunting blinds.

Using Interloper mode for reference, you need one cat tail stalk per two hours of sleep, so the bare minimum you can safely live with is 5,5 stalks a day on the hardest difficulty in-game. Because you will be starving the entire day, and will only eat before sleeping, where cattail stalks give you 150 cal and you use up 75 cal by sleeping an hour, and on Interloper, you want to try and sleep in 10 - 11 hour intervals. That is not taking into account Feat bonuses. Your estimate is wrong because it greatly depends on what you do for the whole day, if you starve at all or you chose to be well fed all the time. For example, pulling chair apart with your hands will take an hour but will cost you much more calories than if you did nothing but lollygaging in the farmhouse.

• Upvote 1

Again. the cattails were an average thing. I took the mean and range of the days some days 4400 others 2400 some 3300 I found 3000 is a good amount and just divided 3000 by 150 and got 20. 

Again all this stuff is just raw information I've gotten from playing. I haven't looked at any guides or anything. (I did when I first got the game but none of the tips were helpful all we're just controls and basic things like making tinder).

And I wasn't trying to have a hairy ass off with you about hides. I've had more than I do now (minus rabbits). I was just stating that my hunting tips work and I rarely get in trouble from them.

I've recently started using the bow so don't have much experience or tips to give on it. Once I get good with it I might, but as is all I got is don't aim in long and chase the blood trails. 

The BEST hunting tactic in the game i've been able to come up with (I don't really use it because it's boring) is scaring deer off in the direction of wolves then making a fire, aggroing the wolves, running back to the fire, let them scare off. Then free deer. No ammo used. Or you can shoot the wolf and get two birds one stone. I can't think of a better way to hunt besides 500 snares in a huge circle around rabbit holes. Even then 72ish rabbits is 1 bear. So rabbits are a bit redundant.

Fishing is really only good if you're starving or blizzard hits and you have nothing else to do. Waste of time for one fish.

Heres my day-to-day life in the farmhouse:

Go hunt, bring the meat back, repeat. Once out of water get 40 bottles (around 6 gallons or  22 liters) and sort the water on a shelf. Then after I get bored of hunting I pick a map to explore and or something to do. Right now I'm getting all the flares then I'll be cleaning out timberwolf again then I think I'll head over to the forge and make a bunch of arrowheads and the improvised tools. Then go around kill all the bears maybe. I like to leave the minimum amount of stuff in the meat bags so they don't despawn then horde them in the basement. Got like 30 right now that have .2lb or 0.09kg in them.

Then I think i'll go around collecting all the rifles and continue hoarding all the stuff in neat piles in my house. Then the bows. After that think I'll go around turning on all the radios in the game or scavenge everything scavengable. I suppose I could look for all the prepper caches.

Not much else to do. Guess I could try hoarding a bunch of coal. The only thing stopping me at that point would be fuel, other than that you could live indefinitely off of hunting with a bow or using the other tactic I said.

screen_(-6, 5, -1)_47357d93-2cb3-4ef0-9746-999b8f904ec5.png

screen_dbfc4ddd-ca0c-470a-9122-0adee560bd12_hi.png

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, pigbull320 said:
  • In a struggle use the knife above all else to defend against the wolf, it works the fastest.

•  

5 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

7. Research performed by other forumers shows that the most efficient tool to use is axe. You probably thought the knife is the fastest in comparison of different attacks in your experience, but the most deciding factor here is how tired your character is. But axe is the best - it makes the wolf bleed the most and is powerful in deterring him from attacking you. Also, if you managed to wound to wolf during his charge (like with an arrow for example) he will let you go almost instantly regardless of the tool selected. Knife could be faster as a tool, I suppose, but it will not quarantee the wolf to die, when axe is a sureway solution.

Yep.

Very detailed information from both of you, though. New players will love you <3

A Little tip from a fellow hoarder: When you loot locations that are high-yield high-risk, clear out all the animals in it, and then just take everything worth anything and stuff it in a location that is close to this high-risk location but outside of the danger zone.
For example, when looting Coastal town and the gas station, kill off all the wolves first, then loot the houses entirely and do a series of quick, short rounds up to the Lonely coastal house, assuming there are no wolves spawning up there. And I mean strip that whole thing bare - not leaving a single curtain behind. This will help out later on when you start carrying it all back to your home base since you won't have to deal with them wolves again. This can be used to move things as well - clearing the way to, let's say, the Coal mine from the lonely coastal cabin, you can then move all your equipment bit by bit to the mine, and continue on this way. It is better than trying to make long trips at once because that way, the animals in that sections are more likely to respawn.

The easiest way to hunt with a bow, huh... for deer, it will be like I said - just spook the deer in direction of a hill or a thicket of trees, it will try running around it for a bit, but occasionally they will bounce back and start charging you head-on. Then you just draw your bow and aim a little bit ahead of the deer in the direction where the deer is heading. If it is coming straight at you, it is really easy, but most of the time they will be running a bit to the side, so you need to anticipate the fact that the deer is moving fast and the arrows travel somewhat slow. But once you master it, taking a shot in the head or neck is usually an instakill on a deer.
As for predators, wolves are easy - you just pop down a bait with the button 3 shortcut, back down and let the wolf go for the bait. You are a bit away from it, and you can just draw the bow and let it walk right into your line of fire. Again, headshot is probably going to be an instakill. 

I don't recommend using that tactic on bears, though. I hunt bears by finding an elevated position some distance away, and I try to arc lob the arrows on him, hoping for a hit. If it does, I just evacuate that area and give it time to bleed out.

Edited by Mroz4k

15 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I hunt bears by finding an elevated position some distance away

Whenever possible, I like to find a fallen/leaning tree trunk to climb. I can take my time getting the shot, and if he doesn't die instantly, he can't reach me.

19 hours ago, pigbull320 said:

Waste of time for one fish.

Only if you stop fishing after your first fish.. 4 or 5 fish (or more) are easy to get.

16 hours ago, Hawk said:

Plus you get a little lamp oil out of fish. Not much, mind you, but some.

There's an old Tanzanian proverb that says:

"Little by little, a little becomes a lot"

Not to mention the fact you can use the fishoil as an accelerant. That can be a lifesaver.

This was a pretty amusing read for me.  @pigbull320's heart was in the right place, but it's clear some of your tips are not tips, and others are just wrong and really bad advice, like the advice on shooting bears for instance. All animals in the game are supposed to bleed to death over time if you land a single bullet or arrow. Currently there are bugs which may interfere with this fact, but it is how it is supposed to work. Also you CAN one shot bears... @GELtaz does it a LOT, on video. Also, in the event you were somehow magically lucky enough to spawn inside any lootable building at the beginning of a run, why in God's name would you advise someone to NOT loot it. In the beginning you can use ALL the clothes and tools you can find as soon as humanly possible. Risking freezing to death to travel directly from a better base of operations like the Camp Office, because it is practically in the middle of Mystery Lake, to the Trapper's Cabin without searching it is almost insane to advise. Using the Camping Office as your base makes going on a trip to loot the rest of Mystery Lake one location at a time INFINITELY easier than having to trek from the Trapper's Cabin to the other end of the map and back over, and over, and over...

As someone who HAS read all the guides available numerous times, studied every map available, and watched a sickening number of videos by game veterans playing on Interloper, on top of playing several hundred hours longer myself than you have, you should take @Mroz4k's corrections as he is correct in pretty much everything he stated. He could have perhaps tried harder to correct you without being rude and insulting (like saying no explative Sherlock)....but much of what you said was pretty silly for a game veteran to read, so he probably got very frustrated by some of the "advice" you gave.

No one, brought up searching for bunkers I don't think. I would recommend doing that in both ML and PV. The only bunker I believe I saw mentioned was the Abandoned one in PV which has far less loot in it than the not abandoned ones....

Lastly the MOST amazing aspect of this thread for me personally, is if I had written the OP or the detailed reply at least three forum members including @Carbon would have instructed me to add spoiler tags to black out almost everything and all maps, and at least one forum moderator would have scolded me in the thread and/or by PM and then deleted everything, like they have done with several of my other posts including one that was a letter from the PEGI game rating organization which only mentioned the details of exactly ONE cut scene in Wintermute.

I guess some people have all the luck...

1 hour ago, Mpat120 said:

Hmm....I kill bears with the rifle all the time......rarely with more than 2 shots.

Good job then, that's how it's done....Even if you don't crit your shot in the head and down the bear in one shot, if you hit it once solidly and take shelter in a place you cannot be reached by a bear (some clifs can be unreachable to a bear, or trees, or a car, or a shelter) it will eventually bleed to death in a matter of in game hours. Then you can track it and harvest it.

There is a bug, where if you shoot a bear and run into a shelter with a loading screen, it may reset the bear and it will behave like it was never shot, and then never bleed to death. This is a bug though, and that is not supposed to happen, but it has happened....

said not to loot the  building because you'll have to loot it later and spend the night there anyway. (sure number of way you can do it but this is the fastest way to loot those 2 buildings and get to the dam).

My guide was meant for speed to getting to the farmhouse. Also all my tips were for newer players. Most of my 'not tips lol i'm a vet' are simple things I learned either the hard way or thru pain and suffering. Didn't figure out repairing clothes until my seventh game.

And in my experience shooting bears with the rifle only pisses them off. My advice for hunting them was incase they're charging your ass in the middle of a field and you can't 'lol use car scrub'. My advice and tips aren't bad or wrong. They're useful. They help me survive so I thought I would share. :\

My last bear hunt was in DP a couple days before Wintermute. I actually had a really good DP run. I was going to loot all the locations and while there make a ton of arrowheads, because sometimes you lose arrowheads, even though you are not really supposed to. I brought my heavy hammer with me that I had repaired with tools and fir wood to 100%, but it ended up being unnecessary(I figured it would be unnecessary, because there is normally a hammer in Hibernia....and there was so I left that one in a locker there). The weird thing was the one I looted at the end of the mine that connects the Crumbling Highway to DP. I didn't even know it was possible to get a hammer from a red tool chest (it was my first one ever in a tool chest). I usually find them out lying around on things.

20170725194652_1.jpg

I hunted the bear that wanders around in front of broken bridge on the road. I shot him in the head with an arrow from a cliff that you can walk to by hugging the wall after leaving the coal mine in DP. The East exit across the street from Hibernia. You can see the blood on the snow right above the middle of my bow. He saw me and smelled me and then walked right up to me and stood there because he couldn't reach me...

20170729235403_1.jpg

I didn't insta-kill him unfortunately, but I did only shoot him once right in the middle of his forehead. He ran around for a couple hours until he died on the ice just to the right of where I was facing on the cliff. If you look closely you can see a piece of the shaft sticking right out of the middle of his brain pan....pretty good shot.  My archery was just under level 3 at the time. Now it is level 3 after making about four more arrows....

20170730000113_1.jpg

This is a shot of the cliff I was on from the road. You need to walk along untill you fall down about a half foot from one cliff part to the next, where there is a gap between a higher part of the cliff and a lower cliff. I think that's what made it inaccessible to the bear. Animals won't jump off edges of things or cliffs. If they hit the edge they turn around and go back...

20170730000156_1.jpg

Edited by Thrasador

I know bears can be taken down with one arrow. I've done it from the porch on PV. It was a lucky  shot that stunned me to say the least. I aimed for the head and let it go. I also know it takes about five arrows if you shoot it in the side. There was one that would get stuck on the ice on DP that was an easy takedown. There was a bug once that cancelled any damage you did to bears if you shot it and immediately jumped into a cabin. Haven't kept up with changes to know if this has been corrected.

Edited by Winnsford

1 hour ago, Winnsford said:

I know bears can be taken down with one arrow. I've done it from the porch on PV. It was a lucky  shot that stunned me to say the least. I aimed for the head and let it go. I also know it takes about five arrows if you shoot it in the side. There was one that would get stuck on the ice on DP that was an easy takedown. There was a bug once that cancelled any damage you did to bears if you shot it and immediately jumped into a cabin. Haven't kept up with changes to know if this has been corrected.

It's still there, I just saw it in a Rick video.....and I mentioned the bug in my posts above....

On 8/11/2017 at 3:02 AM, Winnsford said:

I also know it takes about five arrows if you shoot it in the side.

Sorry, but it doesn't. It takes just one arrow, and some patience. Except for when playing certain challenges, you never NEED to hit any animal more than once. But you might be waiting a few in-game hours for it to bleed out and die.

Edited by JAFO

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Sorry, but it doesn't. It takes just one arrow, and some patience. You never NEED to hit any animal more than once. But you might be waiting a few in-game hours for it to bleed out and die.

I'm hoping he's got that down at this point. Myself, @Mroz4k, and now you have all tried to steer the OP straight on one shot, one kill and bleeding wounds. Only time will tell if he believes people who have been playing longer than him....some of you much, much longer than him...

3 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I'm hoping he's got that down at this point.

It doesn't hurt to keep rubbing it in. When I make posts like those, it's not so much for the person I'm responding to, as for every other newcomer who might read what they've said, and take it as gospel.

• Upvote 1