Patch 2 for The Long Dark is Live!

Admin

5983e590cfe7b_TheLongDark-KeyArt-Horizontal.thumb.png.1384e36c96b56c9ebbac42f3ed8cadcf.png

PATCH 2 For The Long Dark -- Updates the game to Version 1.02 (32286)

This patch is live now on Steam for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

WARNING: There may be Story spoilers in these notes.

* Fixed save/restore issue that could result in missing loot in scenes when reloading from a checkpoint. This bug was preventing some quests from being completable after reload. 
* Fixed the Bear struggle.
* Fixed issue that could cause player to spawn on top of a campfire in "Survival of the Fittest". It should now be impossible to place a fire and then spawn on it the following day.
* Memory optimizations to reduce chance lower memory systems will exhaust memory and crash
* Added some more tools in Milton.
* Fixed issue with Wolf AI not fleeing correctly when the player throws a lit Flare, Torch, or Stone at it.
* Fixed issues that preventing the WINTERMUTE soundtrack from playing correctly; you should now hear more music as you explore the world.
* Modified Fire objective on Day 3 of "Survival of the Fittest" to track how long fire has been burning, vs how long it will burn.
* Fixed issue where unlocked Crafting Blueprints could carry over to a New game.
* Fixed issue with Condition tutorial triggering after every death. It will now only trigger once.
* Add some missing subtitles.
* Fixed issue with Map Marker not clearing after retrieving Distress Pistol in "Light Up the Night"
* Fixed issue with “Echoes of Astrid” objective marker appearing during Grey Mother mission set
* Fixed floating campfire in Milton
* Fixed issue where looping Wolf "feeding" sounds remained even when the Wolf AI was absent.
* Fixed issue where feeding Wolves could face the player while still playing feeding animation.
* Fixed issue where Wolves would sometimes not go into their Hold Ground AI state when approached with a Flare or Torch.
* Fixed issue with map icon showing up for some Stone spawn regions.
* Fixed issue where player could get stuck on geometry in Milton.

### END OF PATCH NOTES ###

Awesome job! All of the bugs I reported were squashed with this patch. It's only been two days and you guys are still doing an amazing job. I love the long dark! Favorite game on steam right now, and for a long time now. 

Looking at some of the things in this list, you guys didn't really do much playtesting before release, did you? Some of those wolf problems have been known issues for months.

All the same, thanks for the new fixes! I look forward to the rest of them.

5 hours ago, admin said:

* Fixed issue with Wolf AI not fleeing correctly when the player throws a lit Flare, Torch, or Stone at it.

Glad to see this one! I watched my mate as he was outside St Christophers and approached the feeding wolf with a flare. The wolf stood its ground and I shouted "throw the flare at it!" which he did and the wolf ignored it and ripped my friends throught out :D. I said "that was weird!".

Thank you for all the patches Hinterland. As always, keep up the good work :)

Yeah the very first wolf after the cave was pretty tough to scare by throwing torches...

Think you could maybe increase the torch scare radius a tad?

Like fire pretty much has to touch wolves....and aiming while throwing torches isn't particularly easy to predict, as there is no aiming dot or anything like that with torches...

I mean I landed the torch on the deer carcass in front of the wolf several times and the wolf doesn't budge unless you get close enough to provoke a fight...

3 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Yeah the very first wolf after the cave was pretty tough to scare by throwing torches...

I just held a torch and walked around him along the walls, every time I played episode one (six times, working around bugs).   Not once did he look up from eating.   I think the "set piece" eating wolves you encounter on the road in story mode are far less likely to notice you than sandbox wolves.  The roaming wolves seem normal, however.

4 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

I just held a torch and walked around him along the walls, every time I played episode one (six times, working around bugs).   Not once did he look up from eating.   I think the "set piece" eating wolves you encounter on the road in story mode are far less likely to notice you than sandbox wolves.  The roaming wolves seem normal, however.

I was focused on scaring that wolf, because I wanted that deer...

Since I was at the cave, I just went in the cave again to save the game and after about 6 tosses and reloads, I got rid of him and then lit a fire at the deer with the torch to keep him running....

Lol, that's just like me. I'm greedy and want to steal the food, but the wolves along the road, all the way to Milton, are scripted to stay by the carcass unless you bother them. Which I did. 

There is so much bandage and medicine in the first part of the game, I had no worries in fighting every wolf I saw, though getting the axe and distress pistol later made this much easier. 

@Thrasador :D

3 minutes ago, Teonis said:

I had no worries in fighting every wolf I saw, though getting the axe and distress pistol later made this much easier. 

I axe-wrestled quite a few of them myself.  So nice actually being able to win with a few intact clothes at the end... unlike Interloper. O.o

Yaaay!   Thanks for fixing the time for the fire at the ctash site. I died again last night with a fire I had going for well over 9 hours. I was going to report it today but, it's fixed!  Love ya, love the game and thanks!

Archived