Co-op with a friend

snowmeow

It would be great if I could play The Long Dark with a friend! Working together to find resources and complete certain objectives. Picking your mate up after he's got attacked by a wolf and bandage him/her up. Working together as a 'pack' to hunt prey.

I play a lot of Dead Island with a friend which we enjoy very much. If this got added to TLD it would double the enjoyment! :D

This is a very popular and regularly recurring idea. The main problem with it is that the game engine would require a huge adjustment to it to make the game even run that way at a minimum quality.

Another large problem is the idea of time. One of the most common activities required in the game is to go to sleep or cook or craft or any timed activity which skips time. This would not be possible in multiplayer and would mean you'd have to sit and wait for activities which can take several hours to pass. In game's such as Minecraft having all players perform the same task but in this game the diversity of possibilities is far too great.

Another more ethical problem with it is that the game is supposed to be a "thoughtful" and "explorative" game. Introducing multiplayer would take the quiet out of our very special apocalypse when you end up arguing with your friends about who's fault it is you're now dead.

Can you imagine the game's social background if the majority of it's gamer feed content was people doing comedical lets plays of the game.

Can see the reason people want it but I think it is definitely a bad idea.

If you take a look at Portal 2 (a brilliant game) that has a serious yet comedic single player but then a seperate friendly co op mode but something like that simply wouldn't work in this very meaningful and philosophical game

If TLD had a small spin-off like named: The Long Dark: 2 Trails, and that stuff that'd be nice. but... *Pelo activated* BUUUUUUuuuUUUUUUuuuTTTTTT!!! there is another game I heard of called "The Wild Eight". it has a winterish setting with wolves and stuff. similar. I never played it so I can't give an opinion.

Co-op and multiplayer are impossible considering how the game works, mostly the mentioned "time" issue.

I may suggest an alternative -  a survival competition. Play with your friends the TLD, with fresh starts and same game modes and challenges - and compete in who can get further into the game, while constantly playing side-by-side. This, I think, can substitute the fun of a Multiplayer for this game quite well.

Archived