No Bedroll in the first cave after Patch 1 !

Skywatcher

I don't think you need a bedroll in the first cave. The only issue is that in the initial tutorial section, the character seems to be sleeping on the ground without one, which is a bit of an odd thing to be teaching new players since they won't be able to do that later on.

But that first long walk to safety before you reach the blue hut with the bed in is the only bit of the first episode where it actually challenges you to survive the elements, and I enjoyed it for that. Once you reach Milton, you've got loot galore and plenty of places to rest. It's a shame to dilute that initial tension, but I guess even with the bedroll you'll still need to make sure you're warm enough, so it doesn't remove it completely.

19 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

You could try a power cycle to force a re-sync - this could trigger the update if a restart doesn't do the trick: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/power-cycle-console

Edit: Please keep in mind the first Xbox patch doesn't include the bedroll addition, however. We'll have that for the next one, but you'll want to install it as it has import stability improvements and other fixes. 

Unfortunately the power cycle still hasn't up dated the game. I'm now going to try and reinstall it.

I ended up "playing cards" all night, left the cave, did sleep in cars for an hour while my wood supply was used up, collected more sticks, found a few more cars, ran out of tinder, walked to the right, and barely made it to the wood lot trailor to sleep a bit as my heart was barely beating.  Foraged after that and made it to the church. I play on Xbox One.

11 hours ago, Pillock said:

I don't think you need a bedroll in the first cave. The only issue is that in the initial tutorial section, the character seems to be sleeping on the ground without one, which is a bit of an odd thing to be teaching new players since they won't be able to do that later on.

But that first long walk to safety before you reach the blue hut with the bed in is the only bit of the first episode where it actually challenges you to survive the elements, and I enjoyed it for that. Once you reach Milton, you've got loot galore and plenty of places to rest. It's a shame to dilute that initial tension, but I guess even with the bedroll you'll still need to make sure you're warm enough, so it doesn't remove it completely.

Like @Pillocksaid you CAN sleep in cars without a bedroll by using the radial menu. I highly recommend starting a fire next to the car first, so you don't freeze to death. Not in front of the door you plan to enter to sleep though. You don't want to wake up and step in it. I usually use the front tire so I can use at least one side of the car to block wind from blowing out the fire. I think @JAFOlikes lighting fires under the hood, lol....

15 minutes ago, MRBROWN33 said:

Good news is I made it to the town with the feed back you all gave me, thank you. Bad news is, I still haven't got a bedroll or the latest up date. Lol

Like the dude above said the first XBOX update didn't have the bedroll in it for XBOX anyway....so good job getting there like a pro.

The bad news is the Update is very necessary for XBOX so I would stop until sorting that.

Are you sure it didn't just automatically update itself when you downloaded it again? What version is it?

Did you verify your Internet connection through XBOX settings?

Do you have automatic updates turned on under system settings? Does anyone else in the house touch the XBOX? Is it possible someone else changed any of the system settings on accident or on purpose.....like a kid, parent, friend, or girlfriend? 

Like on PS4 you can set it not to just download stuff if you have a metered connection, or limited data or something. I would check every system and Internet setting relating to downloading stuff. Then I would reset my router...

4 hours ago, Dougie said:

I ended up "playing cards" all night, left the cave, did sleep in cars for an hour while my wood supply was used up, collected more sticks, found a few more cars, ran out of tinder, walked to the right, and barely made it to the wood lot trailor to sleep a bit as my heart was barely beating.  Foraged after that and made it to the church. I play on Xbox One.

You can click on sticks and "harvest" them and turn them into tinder. You can also use cattail heads as tinder, and you can turn stacks of papers and any newspaper product into multiple tinder. You can also harvest used up torches back into sticks. Sticks are worth 9 minutes in a fire. Used up torches seem to equal 0 minutes. It takes 2 minutes to harvest a torch back into a stick, so even if the fire is already going you only lose two minutes out of nine for then adding the stick for a net gain of 7 minutes of fire time. Also, that is 2 minutes of warming up by the fire, or defrosting an animal, or drying off...

43 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Like the dude above said the first XBOX update didn't have the bedroll in it for XBOX anyway....so good job getting there like a pro.

The bad news is the Update is very necessary for XBOX so I would stop until sorting that.

Are you sure it didn't just automatically update itself when you downloaded it again? What version is it?

Did you verify your Internet connection through XBOX settings?

Do you have automatic updates turned on under system settings? Does anyone else in the house touch the XBOX? Is it possible someone else changed any of the system settings on accident or on purpose.....like a kid, parent, friend, or girlfriend? 

Like on PS4 you can set it not to just download stuff if you have a metered connection, or limited data or something. I would check every system and Internet setting relating to downloading stuff. Then I would reset my router...

No all setting are as they should be. Auto up dates are on. The only thing I haven't tried is resetting my router. I will try again lol

34 minutes ago, MRBROWN33 said:

No all setting are as they should be. Auto up dates are on. The only thing I haven't tried is resetting my router. I will try again lol

I'm just trying to help you troubleshoot man, this would drive me frigging bananas. Like I would be googling "xbox game won't update." I'd be writing to Microsoft support, Hinterland support, I wouldn't be able to rest or play till I got this update to go. It's just how I am. Also I'd know in the back of my head the biggest bug currently is that I can't carry my gear over from episode 1 to episodes 2 on XBOX until I got this fixed, so whatever I did in the game I would have to do all over again at a later time to make me happy with the run....

I hate doing stuff over....and I already have had to anyway because the PC patches weren't retroactive either....so to benefit from them I had to start over too, so....yeah...

12 hours ago, Thrasador said:

I'm just trying to help you troubleshoot man, this would drive me frigging bananas. Like I would be googling "xbox game won't update." I'd be writing to Microsoft support, Hinterland support, I wouldn't be able to rest or play till I got this update to go. It's just how I am. Also I'd know in the back of my head the biggest bug currently is that I can't carry my gear over from episode 1 to episodes 2 on XBOX until I got this fixed, so whatever I did in the game I would have to do all over again at a later time to make me happy with the run....

I hate doing stuff over....and I already have had to anyway because the PC patches weren't retroactive either....so to benefit from them I had to start over too, so....yeah...

I didn't realise without the up date it would effect the game in such away :( I was hoping I would resolve the problem by coming on here. I will put a post in the bug section and hope someone has an answer for me. If not, I may need to contact Xbox support and get my money back, shame as I was really injoying this game, but a bit point less if it's not going to work for me :( 

Well the first thing I would do is look for the version number somewhere. I'm not positive where it is myself, as I have never looked for it yet myself, but maybe it downloaded the latest version already when you deleted and reinstalled it. That was one of the things to do to troubleshoot the issue of it not updating....delete it and reinstall it....you said you did that already.

I would Google, "Xbox One game won't update" I did that for you yesterday to see if I could find any info, and I did....so I would try the things it listed. One of the things was delete and reinstall the game....which you did. So I would go do the other suggestions too if necessary.

Like I said this all could be moot....find the version number, maybe you already fixed it. If you can't find it, contact Hinterland support via email and ask where the version number is listed, and tell them this issue and ask what to do. Then write to Microsoft if this issue persists.

The only reason I would be so persistent in fixing it, is to avoid having to start over. You will want the patch. It added a lot of stability fixes for Xbox, and I would say the Xbox release is the platform in most dire need of patching. It is the least stable release in my opinion with the most gamebreaking bugs....

9 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Well the first thing I would do is look for the version number somewhere. I'm not positive where it is myself, as I have never looked for it yet myself, but maybe it downloaded the latest version already when you deleted and reinstalled it. That was one of the things to do to troubleshoot the issue of it not updating....delete it and reinstall it....you said you did that already.

I would Google, "Xbox One game won't update" I did that for you yesterday to see if I could find any info, and I did....so I would try the things it listed. One of the things was delete and reinstall the game....which you did. So I would go do the other suggestions too if necessary.

Like I said this all could be moot....find the version number, maybe you already fixed it. If you can't find it, contact Hinterland support via email and ask where the version number is listed, and tell them this issue and ask what to do. Then write to Microsoft if this issue persists.

The only reason I would be so persistent in fixing it, is to avoid having to start over. You will want the patch. It added a lot of stability fixes for Xbox, and I would say the Xbox release is the platform in most dire need of patching. It is the least stable release in my opinion with the most gamebreaking bugs....

The build number is at the main menu in the top left hand corner. Mine is  v.0.1 31946 what's the old build :( I have asked the question to Hinterland, but had no response, so I'll give MS ago. I've also found out from the forums that I'm not the only one who is having this problem. Thanks for your help anyway 

1 minute ago, MRBROWN33 said:

The build number is at the main menu in the top left hand corner. Mine is  v.0.1 31946 what's the old build :( I have asked the question to Hinterland, but had no response, so I'll give MS ago. I've also found out from the forums that I'm not the only one who is having this problem. Thanks for your help anyway 

They typically answer emails within the day. They may be a little backed up with all the bugs people are probably writing about. Hang in there. Under News and Updates in the forum it says the new Xbox patch is version 1.0 (32178)

3 hours ago, Thrasador said:

They typically answer emails within the day. They may be a little backed up with all the bugs people are probably writing about. Hang in there. Under News and Updates in the forum it says the new Xbox patch is version 1.0 (32178)

Yeah I have read it, unfortunately mine isn't that build

On 8/3/2017 at 6:37 AM, Skywatcher said:
The Changeslist for Patch 1 listed:

* Added a Bedroll to the Cave in Chapter One. This can be used to Save your Game

But I can not find a bedroll in the first cave. I searched the entire cave system but found no bedroll. I think this is because I had already cleared out the first cave and exited on the other side. I think I have to start a new Story Mode Play through now to find this bedroll right ?

Edit:
To test this I started a new Story Mode and went all the way through day 1-5 and indeed I did find the bedroll in the first cave this time. I had only progressed to this cave anyway so I could fix this in under 30 minutes (skipping the cut scenes). But for people who are further into Story Mode this could be problematic. Maybe Hinterland could add another sleeping bag or two further into Story Mode ?

The patches on PC were not applied retroactively to people who started a game before the patches on the first day of the Wintermute release. They never stated this, but it was implied if you read the patch notes from the fourth patch. I also verified this fact because there was no hunting knife in Milton in my game that I started on the first day.

They fully expected anyone dumb enough to play before patches came out to just lose any progress they made, and start over again after the patches were added.

which cave are you calling the first cave? i have encountered 2 caves so far, the one you spend the first 4 days in and one that you travel through to get from the crash site to a road. no bedroll in either and i die from exhaustion before i get anywhere near "safety". that is, of course, if i dont end up feeding a wolf first. 

i have loved TLD ever since i first bought it more than 2 years ago. but with the last alpha update and the Wintermute release, i find that i dont love it so much anymore. to many changes that made the game harder to play, and i am not talking about gameplay difficulty, but rather mechanics changes that make the game unnecessarily difficult to understand and play. i am really disappointed in this wonderful game that had so much potential.

9 minutes ago, Thelek said:

which cave are you calling the first cave? i have encountered 2 caves so far, the one you spend the first 4 days in and one that you travel through to get from the crash site to a road. no bedroll in either and i die from exhaustion before i get anywhere near "safety". that is, of course, if i dont end up feeding a wolf first. 

i have loved TLD ever since i first bought it more than 2 years ago. but with the last alpha update and the Wintermute release, i find that i dont love it so much anymore. to many changes that made the game harder to play, and i am not talking about gameplay difficulty, but rather mechanics changes that make the game unnecessarily difficult to understand and play. i am really disappointed in this wonderful game that had so much potential.

We are referring to the one you travel through. There's a dead end on the right with some loot, on the PC version in a patch they added a bedroll either there or next to the corpse with a torch.

On the other platforms there may still not be a bedroll.

On PC to find a bedroll in that cave, you have to start a run after having patched it. It didn't add it if you had a save game from before the patches....

Also, if you hunt around the map on the way to Milton, there are other caves. I found a shallow cave off the road, and a deeper cave waaaaay off the road. There is at least one more I found after reaching Milton. There could be others, I haven't checked everywhere....

Don't forget you can sleep in any car without a bedroll using the radial menu, I recommend lighting a fire outside the car first and add enough wood to keep it burning while you sleep. That's what I did on my first run before they added a bedroll....

After three years in development and countless updates you would think that when the story mode came out it would all be done, but dudes really ? No bedroll on Xbox one , wolf AI that appears impervious to flame  no sound during cutscenes - so glad I bought this when it came out on sandbox as a game in development coz if I had bought this last week I woulda been pissed!!!!!!!

On 08/08/2017 at 10:12 PM, Citizenfour said:

They've stated in previous topics/threads that they were aware of the issue and were working on a fix. Then the patch was released and it fixed it (for most people anyway). 

You never said, are you finished Episode 1? No sense in getting too worried if you aren't finished yet. Your progress will only disappear if you hit "New" and then go to episode 2. If you hit resume, it should just automatically load up Episode 2 if you have finished 1. 

On 09/08/2017 at 7:37 PM, Jacknoodles said:

After three years in development and countless updates you would think that when the story mode came out it would all be done, but dudes really ? No bedroll on Xbox one , wolf AI that appears impervious to flame  no sound during cutscenes - so glad I bought this when it came out on sandbox as a game in development coz if I had bought this last week I woulda been pissed!!!!!!!

This now seems to be a common practice when games get released. Not one game in probably 2 years has worked on day release.  I believe things are going to get worse as well. A game was released last week called Fortnight, and only after buying it, you find out that the game is still in beta stage. Not only that, a source told me that after area 3 the games story line stops because its still in development. The game sold over 5  million copys on day one. So you can expect company's to be changing their business models now lol

Hey @MRBROWN33 - we totally understand your frustration around the issues you've seen in your game. We're doing everything we possible can to get them fixed, as fast as we can. 

One thing to mention - it's no secret that we have always been an Episodic title, and that we would launch with the first 2 episodes. If that is disappointing to you or a surprise, I am sorry it wasn't made more clear somehow. And we will keep that in mind going forward. You do get all the remaining episodes of Season 1 WINTERMUTE included, however, as they release. 

54 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Hey @MRBROWN33 - we totally understand your frustration around the issues you've seen in your game. We're doing everything we possible can to get them fixed, as fast as we can. 

One thing to mention - it's no secret that we have always been an Episodic title, and that we would launch with the first 2 episodes. If that is disappointing to you or a surprise, I am sorry it wasn't made more clear somehow. And we will keep that in mind going forward. You do get all the remaining episodes of Season 1 WINTERMUTE included, however, as they release. 

To be honest I wasn't awear of this. But I'm not disappointed as it's becoming the norm. I'm  really injoying the game and I'm not really having many issues, other then what people have already posted about. The only thing that's frustrating me, is the issue with the patch not coming through, as I've been worrying it's something to do with my Xbox account, as no one on here has really answered the question, well not what I could find.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Devinous said:

So I just started a new game on xbox one and no bedroll at start.  I have all the patches including the last one (just the other day).  Does Xbox not get a bedroll at start?

TBH, they SHOULD have added it by now, but I just re-read all three of the XBOX patch notes for you again....and I didn't see that specifically listed. I kind of read it fast though, so I might have missed it.

They did say....added more tools to Milton, but I believe in other patch notes they listed adding the bedroll to the cave as a separate patch note.....

So like I said I didn't notice it listed, and I don't know why that is...maybe they forgot....

You can always go re-read the patch notes too and look for yourself....

Archived