No Bedroll in the first cave after Patch 1 !

Skywatcher

The Changeslist for Patch 1 listed:

* Added a Bedroll to the Cave in Chapter One. This can be used to Save your Game

But I can not find a bedroll in the first cave. I searched the entire cave system but found no bedroll. I think this is because I had already cleared out the first cave and exited on the other side. I think I have to start a new Story Mode Play through now to find this bedroll right ?

Edit:
To test this I started a new Story Mode and went all the way through day 1-5 and indeed I did find the bedroll in the first cave this time. I had only progressed to this cave anyway so I could fix this in under 30 minutes (skipping the cut scenes). But for people who are further into Story Mode this could be problematic. Maybe Hinterland could add another sleeping bag or two further into Story Mode ?

Thank god! I have been pulling my hair out about this. I'm at the road now where the bridge is and I'm unable to progress as I can't sleep in the cars as I freeze to death. I looked at a couple of vids and noticed the bedroll was in the first cave you go into next to the dead body. I went back to the cave but nothing there, I've started a new game and again, still isn't there????? Help . I've only just brought and started playing this game and already it's not working ☹️

On 03/08/2017 at 11:37 AM, Skywatcher said:
The Changeslist for Patch 1 listed:

* Added a Bedroll to the Cave in Chapter One. This can be used to Save your Game

But I can not find a bedroll in the first cave. I searched the entire cave system but found no bedroll. I think this is because I had already cleared out the first cave and exited on the other side. I think I have to start a new Story Mode Play through now to find this bedroll right ?

Edit:
To test this I started a new Story Mode and went all the way through day 1-5 and indeed I did find the bedroll in the first cave this time. I had only progressed to this cave anyway so I could fix this in under 30 minutes (skipping the cut scenes). But for people who are further into Story Mode this could be problematic. Maybe Hinterland could add another sleeping bag or two further into Story Mode ?

How do you skip the cutscenes on the Xbox please?

I have TLD on PC as well as my XB1 and remember seeing the bedroll on my first attempt of the story mode, this is how I noticed it not being there when I played it on my XB1 today. I gave up on TLD before because of the number of lost saves i experienced,i hope the same thing doesn't happen again.

28 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Hey @MRBROWN33 - what platform are you playing on? Which version number do you see in the upper left-hand corner of the main menu screen?

(And welcome to our forums!:coffee:)

I've just noticed to patch is 32178. I wonder if I delete and reinstall the patch would come through.

6 minutes ago, MRBROWN33 said:

I've just noticed to patch is 32178. I wonder if I delete and reinstall the patch would come through.

You could try a power cycle to force a re-sync - this could trigger the update if a restart doesn't do the trick: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/power-cycle-console

Edit: Please keep in mind the first Xbox patch doesn't include the bedroll addition, however. We'll have that for the next one, but you'll want to install it as it has import stability improvements and other fixes. 

Just now, MRBROWN33 said:

Hopefully! Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if it works. ??

Just a tip - you *can* make it to safety even without a bedroll. There are "safe places" after the first cars you see on the road. When getting very cold, find a quiet corner out of the wind and start a fire for an hour or so. Boil some water or mend your clothes and you'll warm up so you can move on. You can make it!

1 minute ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Just a tip - you *can* make it to safety even without a bedroll. There are "safe places" after the first cars you see on the road. When getting very cold, find a quiet corner out of the wind and start a fire for an hour or so. Boil some water or mend your clothes and you'll warm up so you can move on. You can make it!

I've found that the problem was I needed rest.  

It's fine to travel while exhausted. I was surprised at the length of the journey the game puts between your start location and a safe bed, but it's doable. 

Don't waste time mending clothes, hunting rabbits or harvesting carcasses. Gather cat tails and sticks if you like, and loot the cars. Otherwise, stick to the road. Don't stress about hypothermia or exhaustion. They drain your condition but you can make it back without difficulty. 

Just so long as you can avoid getting into a wolf struggle (and daylight is your friend here, which is another reason you want to hurry before night falls) then you should be able to make it to shelter with a bed in good time. 

I think the thing that screws over a lot of players is getting distracted/spending time on things other than getting to safety. Basically you want to follow the road and not stop until you've found shelter. You're in no position to survive in the wilderness yet,even though the game has been trying to teach you how to. 

18 minutes ago, LucidFugue said:

It's fine to travel while exhausted. I was surprised at the length of the journey the game puts between your start location and a safe bed, but it's doable. 

Don't waste time mending clothes, hunting rabbits or harvesting carcasses. Gather cat tails and sticks if you like, and loot the cars. Otherwise, stick to the road. Don't stress about hypothermia or exhaustion. They drain your condition but you can make it back without difficulty. 

Just so long as you can avoid getting into a wolf struggle (and daylight is your friend here, which is another reason you want to hurry before night falls) then you should be able to make it to shelter with a bed in good time. 

I think the thing that screws over a lot of players is getting distracted/spending time on things other than getting to safety. Basically you want to follow the road and not stop until you've found shelter. You're in no position to survive in the wilderness yet,even though the game has been trying to teach you how to. 

I will definaly take that on board for my next run through lol. 

I'm lighting 30 minute fires all through the cave with quick burning torches to find THE DAMNED BEDROLL!  Couldn't they have put it next to the corpse?!!!!!  I found the backpack ....NO BED ROLL!  ...damned I'm frustrated!  I'm going back to the sandbox!

The point was that the patch said there was a bedroll in the cave!   I'm low health, burned just about ALL my wood and it's still the middle of the night!  Do I wash dishes while the night times out?!!!!  NO I PLAY THE SANDBOX where it's less linear and more interesting.  I thought the two would compliment each other, but the linearness of this, and the quick hypothermia and less fatique, is, is BACKWARD to the sandbox.  This is the second time at this, the first being before the patch.  I had wandered out at night for the same reason, found the bridge with cars, slept a bit, but the night was lasting forever, and hypothermia was setting in...setting fires, using quick burning torches to ward off wolves...ran out of wood...pitch black, I jumped off a cliff...restarted game all over after patch notes, and here I am, deja-vu all over again.  

3 hours ago, MRBROWN33 said:

Will that keep you warm when your sleeping?

The fire outside still can warm you while youre in the car if youre near enough to it, however, windy days will cause the fire to go out so its no use in a blizzard but can extend your stay by quite a long time on quiet days/nights. 

Just make sure that when you exit the car it doesnt spawn you onto the fire... I usually place it by a wheel to help block wind.

Archived