Has Anyone Come up With an August 1st Changelog?

CosmicFlamingo

I know that everyone is in love with and pumped for Wintermute, but quite a few are more interested in the sandbox changes, such as myself. Can anyone compile a list of all the changes made to survival mode  from the August 1st launch, or link an official changelog from Hinterland? I'm not talking about every single detail of the maps, but more about the mechanics and items. It would be greatly appreciated.

On 8/3/2017 at 8:42 AM, CosmicFlamingo said:

Can anyone compile a list of all the changes made to survival mode  from the August 1st launch, or link an official changelog from Hinterland? I'm not talking about every single detail of the maps, but more about the mechanics and items. It would be greatly appreciated.

Hinterland haven't said anything about changed mechanics and items at all, and people are currently trying to assess things and gather information.

Here's a summary of what little we do know. WARNING: Possible major spoilers ahead!

• There are now flashlights in the world. They only work during aurora. They are useful for scaring wolves.
  • Wolves get scarier, more dangerous, and tend to travel in pairs when aurora are present.
  • Other electrical items (besides radios) may become operational when aurora are present. (still being investigated)
  • Aurora do not have a fixed, regular schedule. They are random events, and sometimes you might be waiting a long time to see one.
  • If you see a wolf glowing green in the daytime, there should be an aurora that night.
  • Reishi mushrooms and rosehips now have another preparation step before brewing tea. Basically, you need to chop them up first.
  • Lit flares, torches and stones now correctly scare wolves. (it was a bug that broke this, for the last 3 months or so)
  • The Camp Office, Lake Cabins and Carter Dam interiors (& environs) have been updated. Updated interiors have been seen on other maps also. Certain types of loot are more plentiful as a result.
  • There is one new map in Survival mode. It's called Broken Railroad. It's reached via Forlorn Muskeg.
  • Fluffy is no longer in the dam. But apparently, she's only been "moved", suggesting she's still out there somewhere.
  • Wolf behavior regarding eating prey has changed. Wolves will no longer simply abandon the carcass to chase the player. Instead, the wolf will growl as the player gets closer, but if the player backs away the wolf will resume eating.
  • Bears and wolves can now attack players inside fishing huts if there is no door (possibly also if there is a door but it's open), and can also climb the steps of Hunting Blinds to attack a player in the blind.
  • More as it comes to hand.

47 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Hinterland haven't said anything about changed mechanics and items at all, and people are currently trying to assess things and gather information.

Here's a summary of what little we do know. WARNING: Possible major spoilers ahead!

Hide contents
  • There are now flashlights in the world. They only work during aurora. They are useful for scaring wolves.
  • Wolves get scarier, more dangerous, and tend to travel in pairs when aurora are present.
  • Other electrical items (besides radios) may become operational when aurora are present. (still being investigated)
  • Reishi mushrooms and rosehips now have another preparation step before brewing tea. Basically, you need to chop them up first.
  • Lit flares, torches and stones now correctly scare wolves. (it was a bug that broke this, for the last 3 months or so)
  • The Camp Office, Lake Cabins and Carter Dam interiors (& environs) have been updated. Certain types of loot are more plentiful as a result.
  • There is one new map in Survival mode. It's called Broken Railroad. It's reached via Forlorn Muskeg.
  • Fluffy is no longer in the dam. But apparently, she's only been "moved", suggesting she's still out there somewhere.
  • More as it comes to hand.

Really no spoilers if you ask me just great info to the long dark update. this one needs no spoiler.

5 minutes ago, nicko said:

Really no spoilers if you ask me just great info

Agreed.. but some folks may consider some of it spoilers.. and Hinterland tend to be rather touchy about such things. Better to err on the side of caution.

(BTW, I've now added a couple more details in the aurora section)

When did the weather in Interloper get so bad at the start of the game? I just got back to DP and made my bow on day 15 and noticed I've already had 15 blizzards. I've had a break from the game for about a year but before that the most blizzards I ever saw was 162 (I think) over 200 days - mostly spent in Pleasant Valley. If I survive it looks like I'll smash that record.

40 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

I've had a break from the game for about a year

You've missed a lot of changes in that time. Weather has had a few tweaks.. the biggest of which came in v.364 "Vigilant Trespass", (which also introduced Interloper Mode) on Sept 23 2016. From the release notes:

• The world becomes more hostile to you as you play. Global temperature drops, wildlife and fuel resources become more scarce, and Blizzards become more frequent.

Further to which, testing has shown that beginning on day 20, average daily temperatures begin to steadily drop, finally stabilising at a considerably colder level by day 50. The total amount of temperature drop varies according to difficulty level, IIRC. This applies even if you play on Pilgrim mode, btw.

Speaking from a purely observational viewpoint, I think the weather took a further (un-notified) turn for the worse with the Faithful Cartographer patch. In the handful of voyageur/stalker games I've begun since then, I've never seen such crappy early-days weather in ML, as I have in the last 3 months. Lots of fog & blizzards, and nice days are rarer than they used to be.

Ok, so maybe it hasn't been a year - I have about 1200 hours playing just Interloper including four or five 200 day (Interloper) games.

Anyway it's taken about ten attempts over several days to get back to the Riken with all the gear. I tend to loot PV, ML and CH no matter where I start and used to be able to make it to the forge by around day 10-12 partly because the weather used to be so benign in the latter part of the trip. To get one blizzard a day I used to have to go to PV after about day 50.

The worst thing I am finding at the moment is the almost constant overcast sky which makes it hard to ever use the mag glass and puts a real premium on matches. It also makes you feel that a blizzard is just around the corner whenever you step outside. And it hasn't disappointed in that department.

8 hours ago, mystifeid said:

I ever saw was 162 (I think) over 200 days - mostly spent in Pleasant Valley. If I survive it looks like I'll smash that record.

lol, there is nothing pleasant about Pleasant Valley's weather

6 hours ago, dmbjt said:

lol, there is nothing pleasant about Pleasant Valley's weather

I'm dead on day 27 after surviving 27 blizzards. In Interloper it looks like Pleasant Valley's weather is now also in Mystery Lake, Coastal Highway and Desolation Point. Good luck with that.

6 hours ago, Hawk said:

Might have missed it but can't see anything about changes to the weather.

On the plus side, most of the blizzards seem to be of relatively short duration.

From memory, more frequent and shorter blizzards may actually have been something I had wished for in the past.

Another thing I've noticed recently is how hard it is to cross the dam wall sometimes so that you can enter the lower dam from Winding River. On my last playthrough, in windy conditions, I fell off the dam three times - no matter how carefully I tried to cross. It was only on the fourth attempt when the wind had died down that I managed to get across.

24 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

On my last playthrough, in windy conditions, I fell off the dam three times - no matter how carefully I tried to cross. It was only on the fourth attempt when the wind had died down that I managed to get across.

Hmm.. that seems new.. I've never had that problem before. But I don't particularly recall attempting to cross the trestle bridge or dam in strong wind conditions. Is this actually new or just something I've never encountered?

I've lost count of how many times I've fallen off the dam in the last couple of days. Before that I'd fallen off maybe twice. Seems strange that I can walk across a single rail line in the Ravine in any conditions and never fall off but then have such trouble with the dam.

7 hours ago, mystifeid said:

I've lost count of how many times I've fallen off the dam in the last couple of days. Before that I'd fallen off maybe twice. Seems strange that I can walk across a single rail line in the Ravine in any conditions and never fall off but then have such trouble with the dam.

That does sound like they've made the wind more realistic.. I always thought it a little odd that even a blizzard can't push you sideways as you walk. I think I'll add your discovery to the changelog above.

Edit: Have you tried crossing the bridge in the Ravine in windy conditions, since the release?

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

Edit: Have you tried crossing the bridge in the Ravine in windy conditions, since the release?

Yes, in a blizzard.

At the same point (27 days) in the next run, I've had 6 fewer blizzards and in almost all ways the game has been easier. Much more like what I remember. Bit disappointed really. Didn't fall off the dam this time either despite a blizzard starting when I was half way across. Maybe I've just been clumsy. I don't know. It might be an idea to wait for some confirmation on that one.

This is also the first time I've experienced the black growling meat-seeking missiles. Before the bow is crafted they change my strategy marginally but afterwards, with a bow, this behaviour just makes it a lot quicker to kill them.

On 8/8/2017 at 6:56 AM, henroe32 said:

The railway in the game has always been one of my favourite bits. So excited to see it as the main point of a map.

I don 't know how to make a blotch out so here is my makeshift spoiler tag 

broken railroad despite its name the railroad is quite a small part of the map.  However the hunting lodge (the trappers of the map) is quite rich in resources

I wish that they had made the railroad have more to it since the map is named after it I my self was hoping that I'd be holding out In train cars in blizzards crossing bridges like the one in ravine on a daily bases instead of just having it be the waypoint for the maps exit 

Day 40 and 32 blizzards survived. Even at this slower rate, if I survive 200 days I may well have seen 160 blizzards. To achieve my previous record of 162 blizzards, I had to spend 170 out of the 200 days in Pleasant Valley. Outside of PV in 200 days it was more common to see 110 - 130. However many of these were 8 or 9 hours in duration (which was pretty boring). I think that all of the blizzards I've seen in these recent attempts have been more like 3, 4 or 5 hours in duration.

Archived