Ruined the game

Faber

How is it that I start out standing in between 5 blazing fires and remain freezing, yet i can start a tiny campfire and get warm right away? Game went from great to utter crap. been waiting over a year for this and it is a cell phone quality game now. great work devs. wish I could have my money back.

Lol this must be a troll. I'm enjoying story mode more than I expected. I even stopped one hour to late because I couldn't stop. It will be a short night I'm afraid haha.

This only thing which bothers me is that wolves jump you out of nowhere now without making any noise at all. But eventually I can laugh about it, after letting my heart beat calm down for a few minutes. xD xD

I don't know, what do you think gives off more heat, OP? A bonfire made of thick logs blazing in a glory, or 5 burning books. Instead of burning your textbooks, learn from them, you will need it in life!

I am disappointed with how little effort you put into this weak attempt to troll. Try to sound a little bit more genuine next time, I guess.
Would rate less but I will give it a 3/10 cause I am actually a nice guy.

I´m guessing he´s referring to the starting sequence when Will stands in between the burning parts of his crashed plane. I wondered myself why they wouldn´t emmit heat, but then again it´s story mode and it´s the tutorial in the beginning. Calling it crap right away because of this is just ridiculous. It´s the tutorial, bro. But yeah, overall players seem to complain about some many little things when the main thing that happened (full game TLD after years) is nothing short of amazing.

There is no such thing as a perfect game. I'm sure we all have games we love as though they were, but that's what makes a game great - when the things you love about it are so great that you don't notice or don't care about its flaws.

Everyone likes and can't stand different things, too. Controversial opinion: I love the UI the way it is. I think it significantly improved my play experience. 

So I can understand when people are angry about things I don't care about, but this kind of baffles me. This is a game. No matter how much it tries to simulate reality, it cannot. And this is not the only issue of realism. For example, antibiotics absolutely do not cure food poisoning, or get rid of parasites. But we accept it because it is a game mechanic. 

The plane debris fires are there for story purposes during the absolute beginning of the tutorial. Judging all of story mode on such a small detail seems like a near comical over reaction to me. I can see why people think you're trolling. 

It seems unduly vengeful to recommend against buying the game when you haven't actually played it. Like I said, the plane fires are so early they're insignificant. 

If it helps, though, they're probably chemical fires that aren't safe to be near. 

6 hours ago, Blinkin said:

Lol this must be a troll. I'm enjoying story mode more than I expected. I even stopped one hour to late because I couldn't stop. It will be a short night I'm afraid haha.

This only thing which bothers me is that wolves jump you out of nowhere now without making any noise at all. But eventually I can laugh about it, after letting my heart beat calm down for a few minutes. xD xD

Well said! Same wolf problem I also learned to laugh at myself! ^_^

Yeah, I was unfair in my posts. I was having a really rough day and was not in a good place and probably should have just given it some time rather than rant on the boards. I played this game in sandbox for literally hundreds of hours, loved it, and bought a bunch of copies for friends and family.  I guess I just expected more from the story mode. I was trying to get warm since I was freezing, and got close to the plane fires. They won't warm you up, but they will burn you, which just doesn't make any sense. I was just having a really bad day. I am not a troll though, but I guess I looked like one yesterday.

Hey Faber, I have to admit that I did the same: go to the fire to warm-up which didn't work. It's probably something they decided story wise although it doesn't really make any sense. I didn't noticed the burning because I didn't came that close. That is really odd, I won't deny that.

Cheers! ^_^

Hullo Faber, that's okay. The trouble with hype is that it's a double-edged sword, we all get a vision in our heads as to what something will be like and when it arrives, there can only be a tint of disappointment. In some ways in the pre-internet days it was kind of delightful when something awesome just landed in your lap, with no warning.

While I do agree that there are clunky elements in the tutorial mode, rose-hips being one of them, oddly I never thought to warm myself up by the wreckage. 

I think the best way to approach story mode is to treat it more like survival, and just try to drift into the atmosphere of the world. Try to stumble across story developments rather than grinding through it. So far I'm only in Milton and I'm umming and ahhing between thoughts of Astrid over whether I should stay with the local survivor or move on, as that's how my character kind of feels in my head. I'm kind of employing the same personal narrative building as I did in the survival mode.

I hope you find yourself enjoying story mode more. I began to dig it as soon as I let go of my hopes for 'greatest game ever' and enjoyed it for what it was. It helps that Milton feels as real a place to me as the survival maps, it really is beautifully designed. The jury's still out as far as story mode goes, I've only played six hours so far, but even if story mode messes up we've still got Survival Mode, and an intriguing future as to new maps, elements and so on. So chin up, m'laddy, and I hope the rest of the days coming treat you kinder!

Archived