Unable to Update through Steam for Wintermute

Darkestnight

Yeah, I've done that twice, deleted every folder in my steam except the steam program and my steam apps(so i didn't have to redownload my games) and I've reinstalled and still no dice, I talked to 4 different steam team member customer support people, and it was decided that I'm having an issue where when my steam bootstrapper is launching, it's being closed by one of my programs on my computer, but they said it could be any of them, and I can't just uninstall and reinstall all my programs just to see if it's causing trouble with me accessing steam. I thought it might be my webroot, since they list that as a problem program on their website, but after trying to uninstall that, I noticed no difference, so I don't know what else it could be. :(

15 hours ago, Darkestnight said:

it was decided that I'm having an issue where when my steam bootstrapper is launching, it's being closed by one of my programs on my computer, but they said it could be any of them, and I can't just uninstall and reinstall all my programs just to see if it's causing trouble with me accessing steam. I thought it might be my webroot, since they list that as a problem program on their website, but after trying to uninstall that, I noticed no difference, so I don't know what else it could be.

If it's being shut down by another program, the most likely candidates would be anti-virus, or anti-malware. Try whitelisting the Steam programs in the settings for said programs, and see if that helps.

13 minutes ago, Darkestnight said:

I did it! I uninstalled all my anti-virus software and now steam works! Time to try Wintermute! :D Thank you @JAFO

You're very welcome.. but please, don't leave your AV software uninstalled. That stuff is important to have. Try a different brand, perhaps, or reinstall it and find the place in its settings controls where you can tell it to ignore certain files or folders, and mark Steam as off-limits for it.

You might also want to let Steam support know, so they can help others in future.

Archived