reindeer?

ivan.akapulko

Hi gang! Hi devs!

Sandbox are pure beauty! But. We have winter, deers and some bushmaster skills. Why not to include it game ability to make reindeer for fast movement between locations with all your stuff? And you need to feed, cure and protect them. At least, but not last, they can carry much more, than PC and maked from yummy meat ;-)

What do you think, folks/devs?

Um. Apparently, there will be a horse (word is around, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere yet) and that will be a "vehicle" of sorts.

How does one "make" a reindeer? Do you mean "tame" a wild one? Pretty sure taming was suggested before, but probably not on a reindeer. 

Also, Reindeer are not an animal that can "carry" someone. You couldn't ride them, that's just fantasy games. And generally reindeer don't even pull sleights, that's just Santa (cool winter event maybe? Doubtful because it would be lots of work) (and it's a fictional character)

Also, reindeer are native to arctic plains, rather than "forests" which is what long dark is for the most part. The only region that looks sort of "reindeerish" is the Forlorn Muskeg. 
Mooses, now, on the other hand... and those were even planned to be in the game, too. But I would be heavily against the ability to "tame" some.

If there should be a "tameable" animal it should be dogs, sleigh dogs. Can totally imagine a "vehicle" which would consist of skis and a sleight dog pulling the player on skis.

Well, i mean something like these:

7629.JPG 

All you need is a luck, wood, leather and couple mooses.

Just now, Mroz4k said:

Um. Apparently, there will be a horse (word is around, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere yet) and that will be a "vehicle" of sorts.

How does one "make" a reindeer? Do you mean "tame" a wild one? Pretty sure taming was suggested before, but probably not on a reindeer. 

Also, Reindeer are not an animal that can "carry" someone. You couldn't ride them, that's just fantasy games. And generally reindeer don't even pull sleights, that's just Santa (cool winter event maybe? Doubtful because it would be lots of work) (and it's a fictional character)

Also, reindeer are native to arctic plains, rather than "forests" which is what long dark is for the most part. The only region that looks sort of "reindeerish" is the Forlorn Muskeg. 
Mooses, now, on the other hand... and those were even planned to be in the game, too. But I would be heavily against the ability to "tame" some.

If there should be a "tameable" animal it should be dogs, sleigh dogs. Can totally imagine a "vehicle" which would consist of skis and a sleight dog pulling the player on skis.

That´s reindeer, not a moose, in the picture. Mooses are wild and rather dangerous animals and would not be tamed. I guess reindeer could be, but I doubt it would be a realistic encounter in a survival situation. 

The plus side of a reindeer would be that they would be able to feed themselves for the most part. 
You would not be able to create such a sophisticated sleigh. I would expect something lot more primitive. And yet still, you would be missing "tamed" reindeer, which is something a general person wouldn't know how to do.
I guess I would rather see a reindeer sleigh in game than a horse but still it looks meh to me. 

Just now, Mroz4k said:

Sleigh dogs? Great! Sound good to me. And they can alert player, and maybe help to attack/hunt.

1 minute ago, ivan.akapulko said:

And yep, skills for taming deers it is quite in the spirit of the game, isn't it?

No, it's not, not in the slightest.

Seems to me people are really hard trying to suggest that the game turns from "rather realistic survival game" into more of a "fantastical Far Cry/Minecraft" thing.
Taming animals is extremely hard and very tedious process that general people would not have the slightest idea how to do. 

Even Bear phony Grylls "tamed" wild horses in his show when in reality, those horses were well tamed to begin with, and were rented by the show from a nearby ranch. Taming is nigh impossible feat, especially for some average Joe which the player is.

Just now, Mroz4k said:

No, it's not, not in the slightest.

Seems to me people are really hard trying to suggest that the game turns from "rather realistic survival game" into more of a "fantastical Far Cry/Minecraft" thing.
Taming animals is extremely hard and very tedious process that general people would not have the slightest idea how to do. 

Even Bear phony Grylls "tamed" wild horses in his show when in reality, those horses were well tamed to begin with, and were rented by the show from a nearby ranch. Taming is nigh impossible feat, especially for some average Joe which the player is.

The game at high levels is complicated by itself, and if we are talking about the dangers and all of that similar, the domestication of large herbivores is not the most terrible thing in principle. Feeders, salt (which, alas, is not in the game. But it would be possible to salt whitefish.) and the time at which the animal should get used to you. Another thing is that the animals themselves is likely procedurally generated objects which in addition to reactions on the character and predators, as well as the logic of the movement of the robot cleaner. Granting their needs could give a new possibilities in the game. The deaths of animals from starvation/infections, for example. Rabies from the bites of wolves are very frequent thing.

About our average Joe: he can learn, how to make bow, shoot arrows and (sic!) kill even volwes with that primitive weapon. Why he cannot learn anything else? Dont understand your mention about minecraft-like coming of TLD. Almost any idea here is about only two things: survival or fun. Or both at the same time. Sure, becose of diffirent laws around the globe some features (like eating corpses) can be done only by fan mods, when mod engine will be ready. But if we say "rather realistic sirvival game", well, it means a little more, than running thru the wood in wet sox from awaken bear, you know. 

Offtop: Do you know any plans for mod engine? 

Archived