Peek outside from behind a door

Etilord

It was on day 24 of Interloper with a freshly crafted bow that I was passing through the Gas Station. I stayed there a few hours. I step outside and insta-kill!!! The wolf was only a few feet away, in less then a second he was on top of me.

Who in their right mind would just waltz out of the Gas Station anyways? I understand that a game engine overhaul would be needed to see out of windows. You can be damn sure though that in a real life situation any sane person would open the door just a crack and look out. If there is a wolf there he can slam the door shut and be safe inside.

I wish for the following game feature:

Upon leaving any area with a door, the player goes into a peek mode where he is still behind the door but can peek out. He can look left and look right but still be able to instantly retreat. Pressing W would make him leave this mode and close the door behind him. To make things even more fun, I think we should be able to shoot in this mode as well.

Similar past experience has thought me that leaving the gas station through the front door is generally a bad idea. There are like three different wolf paths that cross through there. 
Instead, I leave through the back door because there is only one wolf that comes through there, so if I get charged I would have a chance to shut myself indoors in time, I think.

I like your suggestion, and here is how I think it could work:

When you "leave" the house, you would enter the "outside" region but you would be STILL behind the doors, and you would be in that "peek mode" you speak of. There you would have the option to open the door, peek through, or return back "inside". 

What I mean is that you would still be technically "inside" but your character would be already loaded up in the "outside" location, and so you would see what is happening on the outside, for example the wolf waiting behind the doors.

However, I imagine a lot of people would be annoyed if they had to go through the "peek mode" every time they leave indoors. So here is my suggestion again: If you left the house normally, there would be no "peeking". But if you were to leave the door while "crouching", you would enter the peek mode.

I think this would be problematic - unity may not handle scene loading in such a way to make this happen easily.

It should be possible to at least force (move) relocate any nearby wolves closer than say 15 meters of the entrance to give the player a fighting chance (before the scene is finished loading).

Besides arn't Wolves scared or wary of human buildings ? (If not they should be!)

1 hour ago, Melchior said:

Besides arn't Wolves scared or wary of human buildings ? (If not they should be!)

No.. don't forget, these particular wolves have had their brains slightly warped by the Geomagnetic Event.. effectively removing their fear of humans, so they're not entirely 'sane'..;)

Besides, that conclusion is faulty to begin with, wolves and bears don't give a damn about human structures. Unless those structures are inhabited - the wildlife will keep their distance from people, but not if those buildings are abandoned, in fact, they could even make a lair inside. It is well known that wolves sometimes wander into outskirts of smaller Canadian towns with lesser population in search of garbage to eat. Bears are well known for intruding close to human buildings in search of something to eat, can even break into the house at times.

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

No.. don't forget, these particular wolves have had their brains slightly warped by the Geomagnetic Event.. effectively removing their fear of humans, so they're not entirely 'sane'..;)

Would not describe it that day, EMP has no effect on living beings (or close to no effect). I would rather say that with the increasing temperatures, the living things need to consume more calories to maintain their core body temperature, so The Long Dark wolves are simply always starving and will attack anything they see. (afterall the player in Long Dark eats approx 2 kg of meat per day? That's a bit ridiculous calorie intake, but makes sense in such extreme conditions)

3 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Would not describe it that day, EMP has no effect on living beings (or close to no effect).

Don't blame me.. that's Hinterland's explanation for the overly aggressive wolves, not mine.

If you don't like wolves killing it when leaving the gas station then simply don't live in the gas station. I know it's useful for it's central location and workbench but you can just as easily stay in a waterside house (where I always stay) and then use the workbench when you need it. 

+You get a nice fire place, a home rather than a shed and a lovely view of the bay.

Archived