Fighting wolves with a Hatchet

madreveronica

I have been a very coward voyager player of the Long Dark for weeks resorting to quitting at the slighest wolf bark until I read in this forum that to go for the kill ( and the wolf hides) you need to select the hatchet. And boy I have killed three wolves by selecting the hatchet in the past week!!! I am over half way getting a new coat! They wimper away leaving large blobs of blood. I find them next day. My question here is I must be doing something right by pressing my left mouse button but there must something else else I should be doing as there is a bar that appears but it seems it doesnt show any filling up to it. How one should fight the wolf attack after selecting the weapon using the mouse? Do I just press down the left mouse and that's it?

No, you are doing it right if you are killing them and you are not dying. I'm pretty sure on PC with a mouse after selecting the weapon you want to use, you click the LMB as fast as you are able. The bar doesn't necessarily fill up....

The reason I say pretty sure is because I am using my PS4 controller on the PC, and for me I mash X....but yeah you just tap whatever it says to tap as fast as you can...

Thank you! I am sure it will sort itself out.This game gives me so many chances and incredible beyond expectation experiences! We have to love the glitches! I went up to  the cave when walking up right ahead opposite Camp Office in ML and managed to capture 2 rabbits  by throwing the stone to the stuck rabbits that couldnt 't escape. Best place to practice stone trowing as they are stuck running in one spot up there!!! Loved it!

47 minutes ago, madreveronica said:

Thank you! I am sure it will sort itself out.This game gives me so many chances and incredible beyond expectation experiences! We have to love the glitches! I went up to  the cave when walking up right ahead opposite Camp Office in ML and managed to capture 2 rabbits  by throwing the stone to the stuck rabbits that couldnt 't escape. Best place to practice stone trowing as they are stuck running in one spot up there!!! Loved it!

I agree this is the best game that I never heard of...

Meaning I just stumbled upon a playthrough on YouTube. I never saw any advertisements....no one told me about it. I just saw it one day and was like "That game looks pretty interesting..."

Found it on Steam and now I can't stop playing it. It's my favorite game....

5 hours ago, Thrasador said:

I agree this is the best game that I never heard of...

Meaning I just stumbled upon a playthrough on YouTube. I never saw any advertisements....no one told me about it. I just saw it one day and was like "That game looks pretty interesting..."

Found it on Steam and now I can't stop playing it. It's my favorite game....

Same for me.. I was going through the latest lot of Scott Manley youtube vids for Kerbal Space Program when I saw another one of his in the sidebar for something called The Long Dark. I started watching and he was saying how he knew it was a little risky running along a ridge top in the dark, but he was freezing and needed to get to shelter, and the wolves tended to be mostly down on the valley floor.

I was hooked. Bought it an hour later.

Formerly, I used the knife for wolf struggle. Switched to hatchet only a few days ago after reading a forum post. Performance is much better now, as far as I can tell: the sustained damage to my ego is definitive lower. The risk for heavily damaged clothes seems to be degraded. And it does bleeding damage, so Fluffy's Friends turn into dog meat as well ->  Win-Win Situation.

And: Yes, it's an outstanding and beautiful game.

I have finally killed my 4th wolf needed for the coat with a 83% condition Hatchet without any afflictions afterwards watsoever! No sprains, no blood loss or ripped clothing! Unbelievable I walked away with my rabbitskin mittens down only 11% and still at 88% overall condition having starved for a while by selecting the hatchet and tapping the left mouse repeatedly this time.  Thank you Thrasador! I only wore 3 pieces of clothing as the rest of clothing I am saving to repair my bedroll eventuallly. I wore my rabbitskin mitttens, deer pants and deer boots. That's all. Severe damage to the wolf is seen by the trail of blood it left! Dead nearby soon afterwards!!!! So I am not afraid of wolves anymore! Except I think I've come accross a couple of wolves in the past  that are mega killers and they come back to finish you off so beware be prepared to light that fire!

Many months ago I told my son ( I am 57) a story Ive heard about Christopher McCandless and he went googling and somehow stumbled on videos on You Tube of players playing the Long Dark. He was hooked and soon afterwards so was I! I watched Stacey's (yes the Grape Soda girl), amazing all seasons Gamenater which made make me want to purchase the game knowing according to my son that my old 4 year old Dell laptop was ***well***below the minimum system requirements for the game and yet one mad night I decided I was going to buy it regardles even if it didnt work. I just wanted to! How mad!  But it did work!!! Boyyyy it worked!!!  I've only came accross 3 hitches but I think they are game bugs. So be brave out there! This game will give much more than you expect! More recently I am a fan of a  mute Hardcore Raccoon playing the V426 interloper! Apart from being disorganised with his uploads, he is sooo good!!

And if ever Hintherland wants to add a special touch to the game please feel free to create Madre Veronica's Hachet, the only one that can kill the bears!!!!

2 hours ago, madreveronica said:

I have finally killed my 4th wolf needed for the coat with a 83% condition Hatchet without any afflictions afterwards watsoever! No sprains, no blood loss or ripped clothing! Unbelievable I walked away with my rabbitskin mittens down only 11% and still at 88% overall condition having starved for a while by selecting the hatchet and tapping the left mouse repeatedly this time.  Thank you Thrasador! I only wore 3 pieces of clothing as the rest of clothing I am saving to repair my bedroll eventuallly. I wore my rabbitskin mitttens, deer pants and deer boots. That's all. Severe damage to the wolf is seen by the trail of blood it left! Dead nearby soon afterwards!!!! So I am not afraid of wolves anymore! Except I think I've come accross a couple of wolves in the past  that are mega killers and they come back to finish you off so beware be prepared to light that fire!

Many months ago I told my son ( I am 57) a story Ive heard about Christopher McCandless and he went googling and somehow stumbled on videos on You Tube of players playing the Long Dark. He was hooked and soon afterwards so was I! I watched Stacey's (yes the Grape Soda girl), amazing all seasons Gamenater which made make me want to purchase the game knowing according to my son that my old 4 year old Dell laptop was ***well***below the minimum system requirements for the game and yet one mad night I decided I was going to buy it regardles even if it didnt work. I just wanted to! How mad!  But it did work!!! Boyyyy it worked!!!  I've only came accross 3 hitches but I think they are game bugs. So be brave out there! This game will give much more than you expect! More recently I am a fan of a  mute Hardcore Raccoon playing the V426 interloper! Apart from being disorganised with his uploads, he is sooo good!!

And if ever Hintherland wants to add a special touch to the game please feel free to create Madre Veronica's Hachet, the only one that can kill the bears!!!!

Well I am glad things are working out for you in all respects! 

Yes, you are correct about some wolves being tougher and more difficult to kill. They added some variety to the toughness of wolves. They all look the same so as of now there is no way to tell beforehand if a wolf is tough or weak without fighting it, but some indeed are.

Wolves will become even easier once you find a bow and make some arrows, or a rifle and bullets (depending on difficulty level) and start dropping bait. If you drop bait and back up a bit, the wolf should ignore you aiming at it and let you get a decent head shot without getting attacked for aiming at it. That can be a game changer and greatly helped me get over my personal fear of in game wolves....

The game does appear to run at much lower minimum settings than they anticipated. Several people have reported success at getting the game to run relatively smoothly at lower graphics settings with integrated graphics below expectations, which is pretty cool too.

I too stumbled upon the game by accident by watching random YouTube videos! It is my favorite game now too, and I cannot stop playing. My favorite game streamers are Geltaz and GrayStillPlays.

Have fun out there!

On 2017-7-30 at 4:11 PM, madreveronica said:

Yeah, i don't remember what was i watching when i got a recommended video about the game, it was the gameplay of GrayStillPlays. I've havent' know about him until i watched his video, and after that the game conviced me to go buy it. :P One of the best game purchases of my life (because other games i bought they get low fps in my laptop and got me dissapointed for a little XD) 

On 7/30/2017 at 10:11 PM, madreveronica said:

Many months ago I told my son ( I am 57) a story Ive heard about Christopher McCandless and he went googling and somehow stumbled on videos on You Tube of players playing the Long Dark.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it lots, Madre Veronica! Keep showing those wolves who's boss! Alas, while I'm able to deal with them in a dual without too much damage, I'm still mortally afraid of them. They just make me jump every time when they go for me, and this is after 150 hours into the game! Anyway, I hope you continue to get Gimli on their furry asses. 

I fear Christopher McCandless passed into the Long Dark for real before the game was ever started, so I guess you might have been thinking of another outdoors adventurer and got the names mixed. It would be pretty interesting to watch a Long Dark - Lets Play by him though, it might settle a lot of arguments about his ability to make rational decisions one way or another.

Anyway, fun story and yes, I remember watching Stacy of Stacy's Grape Soda too! I can also recommend Fractured Muffin Cake, she's pretty funny, an inveterate stick collector and knows what she's doing. :)

I will need to use the hatchet more often, if I can ever find one. 

I got into playing this game a few months ago because I was really into playing The Forest and The Long Dark came up as a recommendation. I was intrigued by a survival game with no zambiez or other supernatural/mutant threats. Just you versus nature. And I fell in love with it as well. I have only played about halfway through the first episode but I am loving the campaign so far and I love the art style of the characters, even if Astrid's mouth kind of looks like she is talking behind a mask instead of moving her lips. :P 

Archived