Original Misconceptions

NardoLoopa

I really enjoy a game that doesn't give you a tutorial, but has mechanics you can figure out with a bit of trial and error.  TLD is really good at that -- and it's thematic.  Looking back it's funny to think of some of my original misconceptions about how things worked:

• I thought that having red-status fatigue would eventually make you just drop-dead from exhaustion without warning [I didn't know its relation to Hit Points aka Condition]
  • Thought I'd find pieces of the map.  Didn't notice charcoal for a while
  • Didn't know how to make water; so my runs always ended when I eventually ran out of soda to drink
  • Since the bandage looks like how you'd stabilize a sprain, I kept trying to heal my sprains with all my bandages
  • Figured dropped stuff would vanish [like in just about every other game] so I'd try to stuff everything in drawers

What misconceptions did you eventually get past?

The water one threw me for a bit, when I started playing. It took me quite a while to realize that I could harvest tinder from sticks, or even from newspapers. So I had to rely on what tinder I could find, from newspapers in houses (just burning them as is), and tinder plugs from cutting limbs. Which was dangerous, without the clothes or experience to survive outdoors. Birch bark wasn't yet a thing, and I didn't yet know that you could get both food and tinder from cattails. Not being able to use Old Man's Beard was a big surprise, as it was always our go to fire-starter in scouts! 

I've been playing for over two years, but I do remember the one thing that stands out to me about how I messed up all the time. I didn't know about boiling water back then, and I would find enough water purification tablets to last a little while along with soda found, but eventually I would die from thirst. I then googled how to make potable water in TLD and found out about boiling it. I also remember thinking that I could use my bedroll somewhere like in the rail car at derailed and sleep through the night. The first time I tried it I froze to death (astonishing, right?) I also didn't know about harvesting newspaper rolls or newsprint and would just us them as tinder straight up without harvesting. After watching a few let's plays, I got the hang of everything, though. That was back in the days of everyone hibernating, and I hated that people did that. I did not, but thankfully Hinterland fixed that problem. :)

16 hours ago, Starving_Deluxe said:

I remember when I shot my first deer, I thought: "Put all the raw meat in that fridge so it will keep fresh."

That gave me a chuckle.. some habits are hard to break!

I surprisingly can't really recall any problems I would have in my earliest plays. But back then the game was fresh out of the oven so there was not much to do in the first place. I loved it tho, my first run was a disaster, but on my second run I made it pretty far, like 13 days or so. I found the game through an LP so I thankfully knew how to make water, I would figure it would be through a fire but I think I would be searching for a metal pot first or something :D

Oh, I do recall something - I believe I bled out to death because I didn't realize the wolf bit me triggered a bleeding effect and that I was supposed to bandage it. Tbat was my first ever death I think.

Archived