The Long Dark Icebreaker

Mel Guille

Let's break the ice! Tell us a little about yourself and your experience in the Quiet Apocalypse.
New and veteran survivors welcome!

1. What's your preferred experience mode right now?
  2. What's the longest you've survived?
  3. What's your favorite region?
  4. Bow or Rifle?
  5. Have you tried any Challenges? Which was the hardest?
  6. What's scarier, wolves or bears?
  7. What's the one item you'd never leave your base without?
  8. Do you have any Badges?
  9. Favorite item of clothing
  10. Luckiest moment

I'll kick this off with some vague and not so vague answers. 

1. Right now? Voyageur

2. More than 100 days, but how many more?

3. I find myself always gravitating towards Coastal Highway. 

4. Rifle

5. Hopeless Rescue will always be a tough run, but Nomad tests you in other, maybe more difficult ways.

6. Fear is the mind killer.

7. Coffee

8. Yes, I am partial to Free Runner

9. Trail boots, a classic

10. Luck? Never met the man...

1. So far Voyager, but I want to get good at Interloper soon. Due to my fear of wolves I am not sure I will ever be ready for Stalker. Hopefully the next difficulty implemented will be Interloper Lite from the Wish List forum.

2. I am almost at 100 on my main Voyager run. Barring a sudden horrible accident, I am sure I'll get to 200, as I have tons of supplies to do so....

3. My favorite so far is Coastal Highway as well. I haven't spent much time at DP or TWM, but even if I had I think CH is still the best zone for food and shelter.

4. Bow....it's 0.5 kilos and the ammunition is reusable and craftable.

5. Not yet but I have watched several Hunted part 1 and 2 videos.

6. Unseen wolves. Bears are obviously terrible to get mauled by, but they are rarer and easier to see and avoid. Is @Patrick Carlson's answer from Dune?

7. Bandages...blood loss will kill you the quickest.

8. Almost. I wish there was a badge to increase carrying weight by 5kilos for time spent across all playthroughs encumbered...as I often am.

9. Expedition Parka...and I still haven't found one after looting all of ML, FM, and CH.

10. Surviving harvesting the entirety of two bears. i.e. Didn't freeze to death or get eaten by wolves while doing so...I feel that was pretty lucky.

1.      When I play a normal run these days in which I try to survive for as long as possible: Stalker. But I like Interloper as well, always a great challenge.

2.      379 days. Poor Jenny died due to a big meteor hitting Bear Island (aka the big save wipe;))

3.      TWM. Just an awesome and immersive region. I will never forget the first time I read „New location discovered: The summit“. But favorite place to live: ML

4.      Bow. Love shooting with it and it´s lighter than the rifle.

5.      Have done them all and I think for me „Hopeless rescue“ was the most difficult one, especially since I was fairly new to TWM back then.

6.      Wolves, because it´s easier to avoid bears.

7.      Bandages, OMB and a cup of rose hip tea. And usually at least a little bit of water.

8.      All but Fire master. This one just takes a long time and I don´t wanna „farm“ it by doing nothing else but igniting fires with a mag lens on a sunny day.

9.      Everything I can craft myself. I know it doesn´t necessarily always make sense, but I like these items.

10.  Getting into a nasty blizzard, freeze, get attacked by a wolf and only survive because of a snow shelter. Had to leave that at some point because I was dehydrated and stumbled into my base with 2% condition. That was truly a „F*%k yes!“ moment. ;)

1. Voyageur (I'd like parasites, cabin fever and the fire system temperature from Stalker, calories consomption and clothing decay rate from Pilgrim, and rare and strong wildlife from Interloper = dream experience)

2. Around 120 days in Voyageur.

3. Timberwolf Moutain (very wild)

4. Bow

5. Tried the hunted part one and two. Cannot tell more.

6. Bears (I wish more predators like cougar or white bear)

7. Bedroll (I wish I could leave it and sleep on the floor)

8. No badges

9. Favourite cloth : the white pull-over of the fisherman. favourite aliment : coffee. Other favourite : knife.

10. Cannot tell.

1. What's your preferred experience mode right now? I'm playing Stalker now but sometimes trying interloper. stalker too easy interloper too hard for me :D 
  2. What's the longest you've survived? 39 days in stalker.I've died beside the carcass because I was greedy. When wolf attacked to me my condition was 10-15  
  3. What's your favorite region? It's hard to choose for me.Briefly Im hating desolation point :D 
  4. Bow or Rifle? Absolutely Rifle but mostly using stone :D I don't remember when I use bow
  5. Have you tried any Challenges? Which was the hardest? I finished Hunted 1 & 2.I enjoyed.I've tried others but I didn't finish anyone yet
  6. What's scarier, wolves or bears? Wolves in Timberwolf mountain and coastal highway.I can handle both In other regions
  7. What's the one item you'd never leave your base without? hmmmmm I can't prefer .that's why I'm carrying 28 kg backpack
  8. Do you have any Badges? Free Runner 
  9. Favorite item of clothing Balaclava.It's covering my face for protecting to frostbite
  10. Luckiest moment I found a hammer in interloper 

1. What's your preferred experience mode right now? Id like a mode with stalker loot and weather, but interloper wolves. But for now I do voyageur because the lower number of wolves make them less of an annoyance and more exciting to encounter because of their rarity.
  2. What's the longest you've survived? 220+ days, the eminent great save wipe made me make my character do their own little hopeless rescue and die of heartbreak when nobody saw the flare.
  3. What's your favorite region? Definitely Timberwolf Mountain. High risk, high reward, with a slightly linear feel to it that makes it feel story-like.
  4. Bow or Rifle? Rifle is cooler, the bow is better in the long run though.
  5. Have you tried any Challenges? Which was the hardest? Ive completed them all, the hardest was Nomad. It was a little boring at times but it made a nice little tour around the maps.
  6. What's scarier, wolves or bears? 1.Fluffy 2.Old Bear 3. Wolves 4. The Cold 5. Bear
  7. What's the one item you'd never leave your base without? You wouldnt catch me dead without bandages... If i can apply them in time. And a bedroll.
  8. Do you have any Badges? All except the Firestarter one (1000 is a little high, 750 would be better)
  9. Favorite item of clothing Snowpants! And the wool toque
  10. Luckiest moment Killing a wolf with a flaregun by accident....

On 7/19/2017 at 11:48 PM, Mel Guille said:

Let's break the ice! Tell us a little about yourself and your experience in the Quiet Apocalypse.

1. What's your preferred experience mode right now? Stalker, but i never tried interloper
  2. What's the longest you've survived? 300+ days on voyager
  3. What's your favorite region? Forlorn Muskeg (no kidding), Timberwolf Mountain. And after these two Pleasant Valley
  4. Bow or Rifle? Bow. Much more Amunition, better Skill boni, lighter, ...
  5. Have you tried any Challenges? Which was the hardest? tried only Nomad and Whiteout. Nomad was way harder due to boredom
  6. What's scarier, wolves or bears? Hard to say, a bear frightens just with his attendance, but you can hear his crows long time before. A wolf can attack you surprisingly when coming to the wrong neighbourhood. And you have to "klickspam" your mouse. So wolfs
  7. What's the one item you'd never leave your base without? Bedroll. I once forgot it. Never again. Never!
  8. Do you have any Badges? The question is nearly the same to 5, but tends to the success. I succeeded both, but these aren't difficult
  9. Favorite item of clothing Deerskinboots
  10. Luckiest moment

Voyager and snowstorm in PV. I was out, trying to find the way back to the house. At this point i was at 198 days, i was on the best way to the 200 days achievement. I came from the bunker and thought the way is easy, but it turned out it wasn't. Before, i had to choose how many Ammunition for the distress pistol i want to take with me. I thought 2 would be enough but the german on my left shoulder whispered "3 is safer than 2". So i took 3.

Then i was on the river that leeds AROUND the house (not the little arm next to it), trying to access from the riverside and wasn't sure which turning i had to take. Firstly, i took the correct one, but thougt it's wrong and walked back to the main river. Then i came to the shore (when you leave the house car-side and turn right for a long time) and i guessed the location right. After a few meters i was sure that i was wrong (lol), because i didn't knew the landscape there good enough. And remember: I was in the middle of a heavy snowstorm. How i felt you asked? middle-tensed. I walked back again. A wolf surprised me and i lost condition. Was maybe at 70% then. Back on the river i took another wrong way that i can't reconstruct anymore. During that, the game saved due to my hypothermia. I found a save place for a fire and warmed up a bit. Condition around 50 or 60%. After that, i ate something from my emergency supply and came to the need to make more water oO. My feelings: very tensed.

So on the River i took the right turning this time (why the hell looks everything so different when coming from the other side?) and passed the bridge below, that leeds to the barn, but hey, i absolutley wasn't sure about it. At this point i found a way up. I couldn't see anything, and a wolf appeared. I scared him with the distress pistol, which i had luckily. Then i recognised the farm trees and just now i was sure about my location (!) Condition was on 20% and now i was extremly tensed with evidences of panic. Just a few meters more and another wolf came to me. I was like "stop it game!" and handled it with the distress pistol.

My condition was on 15% when a third(!!!) wolf attacked. My last shot saved my life! But after that i recognised that i wouldn't make it to the farmhouse. The condition loss would kill me before i could reach the save homestead. My 200 Day Achievement! NO! I was stressed as hell. But there came something to my mind that saved my life: I got an emergency pen (or whatever you call it in the english version of the game)! I took it, but couldn't sprint because i had overweight (and meanwhile totaly worn!). I made it to the entrance and entered with i believe 3%. The emergency pen saved my live. I got the 200 days and was lucky as neuer before.

I wouldn't have made it without a) the third round and b) without the emergency pen which i said about, it is unnecessary when it came into the game.

11 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

Do you have any Badges? The question is nearly the same to 5, but tends to the success. I succeeded both, but these aren't difficult

Not really. ;) Badges are not tied to a single run in the game and they are:

Name of Badge Prerequisite to Obtain Gameplay Perk
Book Smarts Spend 250 hours with Research books 10% more Skill Level when completing a research book
Cold Fusion Spend 2400 hours (100 days) outside Permanent boost of +2°C/4°F to core body temperature
Efficient Machine Survive for 500 days All actions take 10% FEWER calories
Fire Master Start 1000 fires Skill levels for Fire Starting start at Level 3
Free Runner Sprint for 50 kilometers/31.1 miles Sprinting takes 25% FEWER calories
Snow Walker Travel 1000 kilometers/621.4 miles Stamina recharges 20% faster

After you get one of these badges you can start a new game with its perk (in case you want to).

Edit: Apologies @Karl Grylls, since this might just be easy to misunderstand, but I think @Mel Guille meant Feats, not the badges you get for succeeding in a challenge. But I just remembered that the badges you get for succeeding in a challenge are badges as well (d´uh), so you are not wrong, but I think she meant Feats afterall. ;)

Someone correct me if I´m wrong. :)

1.  Interloper.  But what @Vinceofpyrenees describes is my dream mode, too!   (I play for the immersion, and this would feel much more real to me.)

22 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

1. Voyageur (I'd like parasites, cabin fever and the fire system temperature from Stalker, calories consomption and clothing decay rate from Pilgrim, and rare and strong wildlife from Interloper = dream experience)

2.  135~ days (Interloper), 300~ days (Voyageur).  Both were lost to the save wipe.

3.  For me it's a tie between TWM and DP.

4.  Can I have a rifle in Interloper? :D

5.  Hunted 1

6.  I have to agree with @MarrowStone here -- Fluffy!  

7.  Bandage!  I'd go naked before I'd travel without a bandage.

8.  All of them.

9.  Wool Toque.  I collect them and keep them repaired as a priority over other clothing since the fun in an Interloper game ends when the hats run out.

10.  Hmm, have I ever been lucky?  After a blizzard- and wolf-filled run to the summit in TWM, my current 'loper visited the Barn, Farmhouse and Radio Tower then made it to ML without a single blizzard or windstorm.  PV was actually sunny and mild!  That felt quite lucky.

1: What's your preferred experience mode right now?

Voyageur, I'm still scared of wolves after over a year of playing and miss them with the rifle half the time, so I fear higher difficulties. Plus I like the quietness.

2: What's the longest you've survived?

Around 115 days. I left Sophe Harlow on Jackrabbit Island as the save-wipe rolled in. She's living there happily still, I like to think.

3: What's your favorite region?

Pleasant Valley. The farmstead feels like home to me and the valley a real place. It's a masterpiece of map design. 

4: Bow or Rifle?

Bow. It's just cooler and I used to do archery. 

5: Have you tried any Challenges? Which was the hardest?

I haven't tried a challenge yet - which surprises me! Maybe I should, though I think I'd be reduced to pitiful mewling by constant lumbering threat in The Hunted.

6: What's scarier, wolves or bears?

Wolves. It's that sudden savage bark out of nowhere. Gets my heart pounding every damn time. EVERY DAMN TIME.

7: What's the one item you'd never leave your base without?

My wits. Also bandages, in case my wits are past their sell-by-date.

8: Do you have any Badges?

No. I'm sure I'll stumble across one of them before long. 

9: Favorite item of clothing

Fisherman's sweater, just makes me feel cosier just thinking about it.

10: Luckiest moment

After two immediately consecutive wolf attacks in Pleasant Valley using a stim to race across the fields pursued by a third wolf, managing to make it to the shop at Rural Crossroads with only 4% of health left, before bandaging and collapsing into the confines of a bedroll. Tomorrow saw me back at the farmhouse for a few days of recuperation, and grimly determined never to explore for the sake of exploring in low light again. 

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Mel Guille said:

4. Bow or Rifle?
  10. Luckiest moment

hi,

I started playing at the beginning but I kept dying so I put it away for a long time. I decided to check back a couple weeks ago, and actually try to do this game.

so I'm just playing on the second difficulty level,  and living in pleasant valley at the house with the nice front porch.  so far I've made it for 41 days.

I've been to so far mystery lake and coastal highway and decided pleasant valley is my favorite area so far because I know my way around.

I prefer the rifle to the bow because it can be fired from crouch, making hunting easier for me.  

so far I have killed 6 deer, and 4 wolves all with only 1 shot each, and 2 bears but I fired several shots for the bears but I don't like killing bears because 1) I like bears and 2) they take too many precious cartridges. I don't like killing wolves either mainly because they are kinda easy to avoid.  but if it charges me I will kill it.  

I do have a bow, but so far only killed rabbits with it.

I haven't tried any Challenges so can't comment.

wolves are scarier because sometimes theres many.

my 1 thing I have to have is probably a pry bar because I've had to go back and get it before.  

no badges..we don't need no stinking badges! (haha)

my favorite clothing is my military baclava cause my face stays warm.

my Luckiest moment was probably killing the wolf inside the dam.

I was encumbered and had entered from the broken window and the lower floors.

it attacked me in the room with the 2 catwalks and I got a round off and hit it but not killed it.

it ran off yelping and I walked (I couldn't run) to the nearest stairs but I couldn't see where it was because of the big things on the floor.

so I kept walking all the while  looking for it.  it saw me and I heard I growling and I shoulderd  the rifle but i didn't have a shot.

it  started another run at me so I had to wait for it to come to the top of the stairs.  it seemed like slow motion and my aim was shaky for some reason I just couldn't line up, so I just fired and basicly hoped and yeah it dropped maybe 20 feet or so away,  pretty satisfying, and yes words were said.  

I ate it for dinner too. 

I like this game alot and I hope it gets lots of updates.  

On 2017-07-19 at 5:48 PM, Mel Guille said:
  4. Bow or Rifle?
  10. Luckiest moment
  1. Like me some Voyager. I don't want the punishing experience. I want the balance of surviving to be fairly correct, and by that I mean that I don't believe that the wildlife would be that dangerous. Idk? I would also like certain things to be more difficult in voyager though, like finding food etc. I've been playing since almost day one and Voyager feels like the difficulty mode in which Hinterland had started us with.
  2. About a 160 days but became too bold and careless and got pretty messed up by a bear and luck was not with me. I was set up pretty well and could have gone on and on, but I think I had a death wish anyway.
  3. Coastal Highway is where I always hang my hat, but all of Great Bear Island is my home and belongs only to me and it's wildlife, and also to those who walk beside me in spirit.
  4. Rifle
  5. All of them. For me Hopeless Rescue was the hardest because I always had non stop blizzards and kept losing time.
  6. I guess I would say the wolves since it's fairly easy to skirt the bears. Unless I need food, or have to defend myself, I leave the animals to their selves. I would never hunt for thrills in real life and so I refuse to do it on Great Bear Island as well. I got 'wrapped in furs' once for the cheevo but after that, I've never felt I needed the fur clothing. I've always been warm enough. I would though if I needed the clothes in the harder modes, but I don't enjoy that whole, grueling experience anyway.
  7. Bedroll....I have been stuck without my bedroll which is not fun, but if bedroll is a given, then flares. Bandages? No. I've made so many bandages on the fly that I don't worry too much about them anymore.
  8. All of them except 'Fire Master', which I feel I should have after all these years but well, almost there. I've got all achievements as well except for 200 days. 200 days is too tedious to me. I always want to start anew after awhile.
  9. Balaclava, hands down :)
  10. I have been lucky so many times. You should have asked about our unluckiest time. I have a good one for that, but for lucky I loved this one...I crouched behind a bale of hay once when a wolf came at me. I had no defense, not even a flare, just my fists. He was very close and coming straight at me. I crouched and he lost me :D and then I made it to the barn unscathed.

Hi everyone ! 

1. Stalker !
  2. 167 days on voyager !
  3. Mystery Lake !
  4. Rifle !
  5. Yes! Hunted part 1 !
  6. Wolves !! Cause bears have something like " Alert" sound (somethings like birds sound that are around them.) but wolves not. They also can detect you from further than bears. (I guess !)
  7. Knife !!!
  8. Yes !! Book smart and free runner. 
  9. A 100% quality expedition parka !!
  10. When i met one bear and one wolf together And i survived !

1. preferred experience? I like Interloper but it doesn't have rifles and mostly now I just shoot things to see how they die so I end up playing Stalker.
  2. longest survived? 500 days (stalker) just to do it.  Once.  I've make a point of falling to my death on every 200 day anniversary otherwise just in case they can somehow track death statistics so someone might sit and wonder how come there are so many falling deaths at that point.
  3. favorite region? Desolation Point 'cuz critters can't get away (you are all trapped in here with me).
  4. Bow or Rifle? Aiming the bow is too easy now not to like.
  5. Challenges? hardest? I will never do the Nomad challenge again because it takes too long.  Thankfully I got the achievement before they made it even longer...
  6. What's scarier, wolves or bears?  Bears are my bitch, so wolves I guess.  They aren't always 100% predictable.  Especially Fluffy.
  7. one item? a Bandage.  Second item is a chunk of bait.  For the wolves...
  8. Badges? I've logged 100's of hours since badges became a thing and I doubt I will ever earn the fire badge.  I think I've got it 40% done but I finished all the others months ago without hardly trying.  Not that I use them...
  9. Favorite item of clothing? Trail boots.  They are light and waterproof.  Because sometimes you need to maintain illusions of belief.  I know I can move even faster in the game barefoot but I don't want to be able to.
  10. Luckiest moment? I make my own luck.

Archived