Decay rate of Peanut Butter and Condensed Milk

Thrasador

I think my biggest wish so far is that Peanut Butter and Condensed Milk decayed slower indoors. Simply because I dilly-dallied on my play through, and due to that I haven't found a single edible Condensed Milk, lol.

I have found about 4 cans total of condensed milk so far after searching the entirety of Forlorn Muskeg, Mystery Lake and Coastal Highway. Only 1 of them wasn't already ruined....it was a 3 condition....so I didn't eat it obviously.

I found one jar of Peanut Butter so far at like 40 condition which I ate....

It just makes me sad to know that since I am almost at 100 days on my playthrough and those two items decay at a rate of 1 condition a day (allegedly), that the odds of me finding any edible ones indoors are pretty slim.

It would be nice if they had a .333 loss indoors like Pinnacle Peaches....I am not asking to treat them like beef jerky or an MRE....but maybe make it so they could survive 200 days. :P

Anyways no biggie....lots of other things to eat. I just hate wasting food....

Considering condensed milk is in a can, I think it should be that way - can rusts outside fast, but inside it should be significantly slowed down.

Would argue Peanut Butter should be the other way - since its plastic which is not that harmed by the colds, I think it should be stored outside to decrease its condition degradation.

Most of the processed food degradation times atm are a bit of a mystery to me, honestly - the things that I would expect to degrade the fastest (canned drinks) seem to be impervious to degradation, but the condensed milk (even though it says "keeps pretty much forever") is just gone right away. Finally the crackers, who would easily get spoiled by being stored in cartoon box which gets wet and moldy fast, and surprisingly those never seem to spoil.

I used to stock processed food up for bad times, now I've learned to just eat most of it on spot cause of the spoils. The inner hoarder in me is crying.

20170725_175214.thumb.jpg.aa6cd48e0c7a0353a546ebbad47e08ea.jpgOh no, I didn't mean I had an issue with the inside vs outside storage of it. I just wished they decayed slower indoors like Pinnacle Peaches. Pork n Beans decays even slower I believe. What I'm saying is all these things are in cans. Just because it is technically a milk product, it doesn't mean it goes bad faster in a can than anything else in a can. Evaporated and Condensed milk both can last for years. My girlfriend bought me a can of condensed milk on accident months ago (I wanted evaporated, I like drinking it sometimes because it has 40% less water and is creamy) and it says use by FEB 2018. Not to mention most stuff in cans is probably still safe up to a couple years pass the sell or use by date. It may not be as tasty as it would be if you ate it on time, but it doesn't necessarily have botulism in it....

:D

Well yea, the thing with the canned things is that it pretty much never spoils, regardless of what it is. Well, it depends on the quality of the packaging and sealing of the cans, but if the can is not compromised anywhere, the goods in there should be edible even a 50 years later. Some of the WW2 military rations packed in cans can be eaten today without being spoiled, though I imagine the taste is not very favorable. In Czech Republic, the canned goods don't have an expiration date, but "date of recommended consummation", because technically, the cans never expire.

I also agree that the canned milk and peanut butter shouldn't spoil so damn fast. It's frustrating to find all those "ruined cans" when you go out looting for the rest of the maps around day 120.

10 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

It's frustrating to find all those "ruined cans" when you go out looting for the rest of the maps around day 120.

Do not discard ruined food. Place it somewhere (not in container) until you get  Level 5 in cooking. Then you will be able to eat ruined cooked food without risk of poisoning.

3 hours ago, LeeHarveyOslik said:

Do not discard ruined food. Place it somewhere (not in container) until you get  Level 5 in cooking. Then you will be able to eat ruined cooked food without risk of poisoning.

Last time I checked, once an item got to a 0% durability, it was impossible to eat it. As in, the button to eat it disappeared entirely. The only way to eat ruined food at that point was if it was a ruined raw meat, which could be cooked first, brought up to 50% and eaten afterwards. I had a level 5 cooking skill last time, and I tried to eat a ruined can of milk, but there was no option to. Might have been a bug on my side, but I don't think so. I know I could eat it if it still had 4% left or so, but at 0% that option disappeared entirely.

But this was my experience before Cartographer update. Maybe it's changed now.

32 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Last time I checked, once an item got to a 0% durability, it was impossible to eat it. As in, the button to eat it disappeared entirely. The only way to eat ruined food at that point was if it was a ruined raw meat, which could be cooked first, brought up to 50% and eaten afterwards. I had a level 5 cooking skill last time, and I tried to eat a ruined can of milk, but there was no option to. Might have been a bug on my side, but I don't think so. I know I could eat it if it still had 4% left or so, but at 0% that option disappeared entirely.

But this was my experience before Cartographer update. Maybe it's changed now.

It hasn't changed. But there's a workaround: drop ruined food on the ground, pick it up, hit space bar. Voila  - you can eat completely ruined food.

Archived