Why do you have a passion for Hardcore survival games?

I have been with the long dark since 2014 but not a regular poster and I like to ask if each of us can give reasons why we love a realistic survival game like The Long Dark?

Why did you want to play the long dark and not an arcade game like Ark survival evolved?

Was it because of its realism? Would you have played the game if there was an option to make it even more realistic like a simulation? It works with racing cars like project car 2 with its ultra sim like racing? Would you have like it if the graphics looked like thehunter call to the wild plus additional realistic simulation features? 

I like to hear your thoughts about this please?! There isn't any game like the long dark even today! No first person game like the long Dark! Is the community small? But TLD seem to be a great success! 

Thank you for your responses! Perhaps this will further development of the game! :) 

I've clocked near to 600h into TLD but I honestly can't tell why it hooked me. I was never much interested in survival or outdoors for that matter but thanks to TLD I am now, very much so ;)

What has drawn me the most to TLD is probably that I see a resemblence to Dark Souls in spirit as in no handholding, being unforgivable and learning by dying. What keeps me returning to TLD over and over again though is mainly because of the book "Deep Survival", which is about the psychology of survival situations. While reading the book I recognized some equal thoughpatterns and decision making "real" survivors had as I do when playing TLD, the game manages to induce a similar stress in your mind and body as those survivors described and that made me realize what a great piece of art this game is. It does not simulate survival because it wouldn't be very enjoyable to play but it uses the tools it has as a game to put you in the same hell mentally a real survivor might feel. Awesome :D

I don't know why I like it. I don't play survival games. I think it's a mixture of things from the art style to the atmosphere.

I like getting loot in games. Like raiding in WoW to get more, or better raid gear. Somehow looting is more fun in this game. Not because you are finding a magic sword that is better than your current magic sword. The stuff you find in this game means your character may live another day....or another hour. I think that makes any loot in the game much more valuable in general. You need it simply to survive another day...

On 7/12/2017 at 2:20 AM, ChillPlayer said:

I've clocked near to 600h into TLD but I honestly can't tell why it hooked me. I was never much interested in survival or outdoors for that matter but thanks to TLD I am now, very much so ;)

What has drawn me the most to TLD is probably that I see a resemblence to Dark Souls in spirit as in no handholding, being unforgivable and learning by dying. What keeps me returning to TLD over and over again though is mainly because of the book "Deep Survival", which is about the psychology of survival situations. While reading the book I recognized some equal thoughpatterns and decision making "real" survivors had as I do when playing TLD, the game manages to induce a similar stress in your mind and body as those survivors described and that made me realize what a great piece of art this game is. It does not simulate survival because it wouldn't be very enjoyable to play but it uses the tools it has as a game to put you in the same hell mentally a real survivor might feel. Awesome :D

So you like deep survival but you would not like if it was a semi simulation on survival like castaway? The Long dark for me seem to give this basic experience of living on an island and trying to find food and stay alive. Most MMO do not have this type of feeling because of the arcade style of play. 

And why would simulating something on survival won't be enjoyable as I thought TLD has been closed to doing that? You don't need to spend hours roasting food it could be that when your roasting it has a timer like crafting in games? TLD has manage to pull of hardcore survival and players love it so why not something close to a sim and fun and challenging at the same time? TLD has brought that desire to players so why not take it to the next step?  

How about Ark survival they have these type of gameplay but do you like TLD challenges far better then Ark survival? Or are they the same? 

And Thrasador if you like loot alot how about Ark survival? :) 

There is a space hardcore survival game where you have to repair ships and parts and its slightly challenging so a semi sim can actually work and  be fun and challenging at the same time! If arcade game can be a hit for casual followers I am sure hardcore semi sim can also attract lots! 

Do you or anyone know of any similar first person survival games like TLD? I don't know of any and that is why it makes TLD very special cause even the massive MMO don't induce the survival feeling like the TLD does! As the game is more then just eating, drinking and sleeping like you see in Ark survival. There is this realistic survival management that is very important in the game and realistic games tend to head toward these features of why it would attract those who want that survival experience in the bush but can't! 

Do you or anyone here watch documentaries on survival and just wish something like that could be in a game? Like again the castaway? Has the TLD  given you this desire to watch and experience these things in real life? 

1 hour ago, Ciliate Organism said:

So you like deep survival but you would not like if it was a semi simulation on survival like castaway? The Long dark for me seem to give this basic experience of living on an island and trying to find food and stay alive. Most MMO do not have this type of feeling because of the arcade style of play. 

And why would simulating something on survival won't be enjoyable as I thought TLD has been closed to doing that? You don't need to spend hours roasting food it could be that when your roasting it has a timer like crafting in games? TLD has manage to pull of hardcore survival and players love it so why not something close to a sim and fun and challenging at the same time? TLD has brought that desire to players so why not take it to the next step?  

How about Ark survival they have these type of gameplay but do you like TLD challenges far better then Ark survival? Or are they the same? 

And Thrasador if you like loot alot how about Ark survival? :) 

There is a space hardcore survival game where you have to repair ships and parts and its slightly challenging so a semi sim can actually work and  be fun and challenging at the same time! If arcade game can be a hit for casual followers I am sure hardcore semi sim can also attract lots! 

Do you or anyone know of any similar first person survival games like TLD? I don't know of any and that is why it makes TLD very special cause even the massive MMO don't induce the survival feeling like the TLD does! As the game is more then just eating, drinking and sleeping like you see in Ark survival. There is this realistic survival management that is very important in the game and realistic games tend to head toward these features of why it would attract those who want that survival experience in the bush but can't! 

Do you or anyone here watch documentaries on survival and just wish something like that could be in a game? Like again the castaway? Has the TLD  given you this desire to watch and experience these things in real life? 

I have some FB friends that play ARK and told me to check it out.

I watched some vids...

I don't do multiplayer anymore because I don't like punks ganking me and then tea bagging my corpse.

I only single player now, I don't need the headache or drama from others in my game world. I like to have fun when I play games...

1 hour ago, Ciliate Organism said:

And why would simulating something on survival won't be enjoyable as I thought TLD has been closed to doing that?

just from the top of my head, if it'd be a real simulation you would have to gather some snow first before you can melt it, you won't be able to produce scrap metal out of prybars and axes which you could then use to craft hooks without any tools, wildlife would behave completely different, it's doubtfull you would catch as many fish without a lure as we do right now and so on. Also in real survival situation, finding a place like the Farmstead in PV or Camping Office in ML would be a jackpot, I'd stay there until someone rescues me. Maybe I'd start exploring my surroundings a bit after a few weeks but I certainly wouldn't go further than a couple of kilometers away from my camp for months - in TLD Interloper I've usually have cleared 3-4 maps within the first two weeks. Meat I've hunted somehow I would try to preserve for as long as possible by smoking or salting it, a sprained ankle wouldn't be fixed simply by taking two painkillers and freaking Cabin Fever would not be something I should be wary of after a week in one place.

Bottom line: in a real survival situation you'd try to minimum the amount of calories you burn, doing only small tasks on a day and spend the most time basically waiting for being rescued. Just watch the survival show "Alone" to get an idea what I mean, a game that encourages this behaviour would be utterly boring to play because all you'd do is: fish, eat, sleep, rinse & repeat.

2 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

just from the top of my head, if it'd be a real simulation you would have to gather some snow first before you can melt it, you won't be able to produce scrap metal out of prybars and axes which you could then use to craft hooks without any tools, wildlife would behave completely different, it's doubtfull you would catch as many fish without a lure as we do right now and so on. Also in real survival situation, finding a place like the Farmstead in PV or Camping Office in ML would be a jackpot, I'd stay there until someone rescues me. Maybe I'd start exploring my surroundings a bit after a few weeks but I certainly wouldn't go further than a couple of kilometers away from my camp for months - in TLD Interloper I've usually have cleared 3-4 maps within the first two weeks. Meat I've hunted somehow I would try to preserve for as long as possible by smoking or salting it, a sprained ankle wouldn't be fixed simply by taking two painkillers and freaking Cabin Fever would not be something I should be wary of after a week in one place.

Bottom line: in a real survival situation you'd try to minimum the amount of calories you burn, doing only small tasks on a day and spend the most time basically waiting for being rescued. Just watch the survival show "Alone" to get an idea what I mean, a game that encourages this behaviour would be utterly boring to play because all you'd do is: fish, eat, sleep, rinse & repeat.

it does not need to be that way! Just look at realistic hardcore sport sim and see how exciting it is! Look at Projects car 1 and now look at 2 the major improvement do you see it as boring? Just driving around and around in circles? Its a crazy hit with these fans! 

It does not need to be a 100% sim and some areas can be adjusted so its not boring but fun and challenging! Saurian is dino hardcore simulation that aim bring realism to the game and its from a small indie developer too and in very early access. How about the farming sim and see how crazy that has gone? Doing many of the same things over and over again! 

How about the hunter classic where they hunt animals? 

So I am not itching for it to be true to life so everything is by the sec just that it becomes close and you can do many things with the environment that you can't normally in most casual survival games. Even what you said where its fish, eat, sleep, rinse & repeat is far more exciting then you imagine! Cause you don't need to be restricted to an area where your lost and have nothing! But even that in real life can be very interesting if it was in a game and certain things change to keep it fun! :) 

Who ever thought trucking will be fun but it was! And how about TLD? If you went over to a zombie survival game and talk about having a game like TLD they will go away and say it so boring no wants to play it. 

So perhaps my mistake of saying it be 100% like real life just the features of it like imagine if the environment was simulated? There are games now doing this like cities skyline where things are simulated instead of spawning. A breathing living environment with so much variety and things you can do! All the wish list in the forum can finally happen and more! its already happening in building games where its now about survival and Saurian is a good indie developer making it happen with limitation but almost realistic! 

This is why I have got TLD cause it gave me the dream that its heading towards that! :) Its a step closer to adding more realism and balance to make it fun! You can go hunting like in this game but with better realism! Seen Ghost sniper 3 a bit like that where they focus on realism! You got to learn how to aim or could it be a little easier. So it matters where the bullet hits! And then when you go up to the animal and it still alive like that rabbit in the TLD? And you look at its eye, how its in pain? Can you make that shot? 

And how about not killing it? But capturing it? And how about it having a life of its own? Many things you can do in the game! It does not need to be isolated, well it could but you got more resources like you would in real life to explore! Have not hiked before or camp? And going on a long exploration through the wild of Canada? Many opportunities this type of game can give you! Could be in a forest in a cabin with lots of resources around you to live! So it does not need to be ALONE like what you said. But of course that is open too for players to do if they want more of a challenge! You see the variety the amount of challenges given to players? Players could start out with a few resources and head of from there to explore! 

TLD can be an open world just like Ghost Recon where there is much to explore and do but keeping it realistic and fun and challenging as its not an arcade game. We already know how fun it is in building games when AI do their own thing and you get to seem them moving up and about. :) So there is so much fun to explore so many things can be done! So it starts with passion and seeing more potential for TLD as its steady improves in feature! 

This game below looks visually nice but feature limited and its not about survival anyway! But expand that and wow you or anyone interested in Open world will want to play it! And this game below is rather large map but even a map as big and complex still will be very challenging. 

063131.jpg

Fishing? 

Perhaps even this can be in the game like fishing planet and euro fishing but done better and more realistic so if you don't want to hunt animals you can have the pleasure to fish for joy and it will be far better too! Cause the focus on realism and fun and in a big map or open world! It wouldn't have to be about trying to survival just a casual mode so they are lots of things that can happen if TLD does become a success after wintermute! :) 

So think big and think possibilities! :) 

Cause after TLD then what? If no dream for more improvements then TLD will be the last! But as i said they are developer doing it just in different styles. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived