Dropping Backpack

hunglasx

Hi,

I just found that, I can't drop my backpack. While I was cooking, it says "Encumbered" and it's hard to drop every heavy items. I think dropping backpack would be awesome. It would be look like other backpacks that we can find near corpses.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One problem I foresee is that the backpacks we find lying around have a capacity of 20 kg. On a good day, you can carry 30 kg without issue or 15 kg when exhausted or otherwise not at 100%. However, you can load up a LOT more than just that and walk around encumbered. Where does the extra storage come from and go? Do you have a better than normal backpack? Extradimensional pockets? Bag of Holding?

We could say the protagonist has a 30 kg backpack (upgraded backpack) and can stuff it full until it is literally in the red. However, what would "dropping" your backpack do? Obviously, leave a physical backpack laying on the ground with all your swag in it (everything not currently held or worn). The question is, though, what would your carrying capacity be after that? Would you generate a "new backpack" you could drop later? Would you have your carrying capacity limited to 5 or 10 kg? Would you be unable to "take" items and have to choose whether to use it or drop it on the spot? Would you be able to pick up backpacks you find laying around, making them more of a utility item? Would there be better backpacks or different types of backpacks or upgraded backpacks?

Lots of things to consider.

yes i think that maybe your player doesn't have just a standard backpack, something more for camping of sorts so can carry more. and i do like the idea of finding better backpacks throughout the game (or startout with a smaller pack like you would find on the ground, and upgrade later). and maybe you could own additional backpacks. leave your original at home and take the one near the forestry outlook for additional storage. and i would assume that you would only be able to carry a small amount of items without a backpack, like using your coat or pants pockets.

yes i think that maybe your player doesn't have just a standard backpack, something more for camping of sorts so can carry more. and i do like the idea of finding better backpacks throughout the game (or startout with a smaller pack like you would find on the ground, and upgrade later). and maybe you could own additional backpacks. leave your original at home and take the one near the forestry outlook for additional storage. and i would assume that you would only be able to carry a small amount of items without a backpack, like using your coat or pants pockets.

The drop backpack function could work like setting up your bedroll, finding a spot to place it. Although, I think a "quick release" option would be good too, for when you need to drop and run on the fly. Perhaps in that case, the backpack drops in the closest available space around you. If a space doesn't exist you get a cancelled noise and know you don't have room. At least it would be quicker than opening the menu and then manually finding a spot.

One way I could see this abused (or used creatively, however you want to see it) is collecting a bunch of backpacks from around the map for tons of storage at your primary base of operation. Since each backpack can hold 20 kg of stuff, it would allow you to more easily stow and organize items you find.

i dont necessarily think it would be abusing, i would do that in real life if it benefited me. but you have to also think about the fact your going out without a backpack and much supplies. making the decision on what i should take with me if things were to go south.

In that regard, it would make sense to be able to "equip" items to be held. The hunting rifle, for example could be carried in hand or have a strap to throw over the shoulder. Either way, it doesn't make sense to have it in the backpack (it is too long to fit). That way you could have your rifle equipped (hotkeyed) and go out into the wild to find yourself a backpack.

Of course, if we are talking about optional containers, perhaps including an inherent 5 kg (pocket/belt) carrying capacity so you can carry a hunting knife and a flare or two with you while you head out unencumbered. Maybe if they allowed for clothing that could be upgraded, you could have cargo pants or a utility vest that increases this amount.

I like the idea, but there are some concerns that need to be addressed if this is to be implemented. I know some of these have already been mentioned, just summing things up here.

1. You need to be able to drop the pack quickly in case of an emergency (being chased by wolf?). So there needs to be a hotkey that is easily found when needed, but not prone to accidentally pressing when you don't want it.

2. What is dropped when you drop your pack? I wouldn't be carrying everything in my pack. Important stuff like fire making equipment (firestriker, matches) and a hunting knife would always be on my body. So how do we determine what gets dropped? You also need to make this decision ahead of time. When that wolf is stalking you, you don't have the time to just stand there and decide what to drop and what to keep. So we need separate inventories, the backpack and pockets. That would make inventory management more of a struggle not to mention annoying.

3. How would the dropped pack be displayed in the game?

4. Can you take items from your dropped pack, or do you need to pick the entire pack back up?

5. What would your carry capacity be after you drop your pack? Do you need to pick up your pack/ another pack to increase your carry capacity?

So, to implement this correctly would need some serious designing and take a good deal to implement. This would be a great option to have in the game, also the ability to find and carry different sizes of packs, but I don't have my hopes up for the chances of this being implemented.

Maybe you could have separate inventories/belts:

- Straps for rifle (on the back)

- Straps for up to 10 bullets and 2 or 3 flares

- Belt for knife/hatchet and bottle for up to 10 antibiotic/painkiller pills

- Chest pocket for some matches

- Flask for 0.5 - 1 l of water

Etc.

The idea is that you would start without any straps (why would pilot need them in-flight?), however you would find them or craft from leather.You could have a third drop-down list in inventory (category, sort by and inventory type). In the beginning of the game dropping backpack would mean leaving everything accept what you're holding at the moment. It's imagine that you cannot have pockets/belts for everything (like wood), but also would have to make decisions like if you want to keep a knife or a hatchet, but you can't have both. Maybe also having something like a flare or bandage on your belt would shorten time of drawing it as there is no need to open backpack. As for the key could be '0' or 'Backspace' as there are almost no other keys binded and you are very unlikely to hit them.

Well first thing that comes to mind about dropping a backpack would be to exchange backpacks, since when you drop "your" backpack, you should be able to pick up backpacks that are not yours. So you would have to be able to carry any backpack, or at least some backpacks. But seeing as 30kg of backpack is quite a lot to carry around, I don't think implementing even bigger ones is needed.

On the other hand, the amount of calories per hour used is tied to how much weight you are carrying with you. Maybe this should be altered, so that only when you're outside, this weight applies to how much you're carrying, since you are probably going to set your backpack down when indoors. I think this would be the easiest way to implement this. I don't think being encumbered has any effect on success when you're fighting a wolf. So I don't think dropping your backpack outside is needed.

I think droping the backpack is supposed to let you run faster, or run at all, to lose wolf instead of fighting. Also maybe if you have holsters, straps, etc; backpack itself should be reduced to "game standard" of 20 kg. Rifle itself is 4 kg, but you're not carrying it in your backpack. Maybe thats why your inventory is 30 kg, because Devs already thought of carrying gear outside of your backpack and gave us additional 10 kg to simulate all the straps pockets, etc - which would mean being naked or next to naked should reduce your weight capacity to 20 kg.

Well if you're going down that road, then you have to subtract the clothing you are wearing too. :)

During my service in the army we had to do a run of about 5 km with all our gear. So it's easily possible to run with 20kg worth of gear + 5kg rifle. Also: You can run faster than the wolf now, as long as you are not encumbered. I don't think we need to run even faster. And running very fast in high snow is almost impossible anyways :D

Etc.

Yes, but this would make inventory management very inconvenient to say the least. It means you'll be spending lots of time putting everything in their correct locations, looking for a specific item in the wrong inventory etc... And in this game time is important!

Well if you're going down that road, then you have to subtract the clothing you are wearing too. :)

During my service in the army we had to do a run of about 5 km with all our gear. So it's easily possible to run with 20kg worth of gear + 5kg rifle. Also: You can run faster than the wolf now, as long as you are not encumbered. I don't think we need to run even faster. And running very fast in high snow is almost impossible anyways :D

I'd only drop my pack if I would be encumbered and had a wolf on my tail. Then dropping the backpack could reduce my weight with the push of a button, enabling me to run again and keep my distance to the wolf.

Also, I do think the player is carrying the standard 20kg pack and the other 10kg are clothing and such. The bedroll would probably be strapped underneath the pack, the rifle carried on it's sling etc.

I also think the 30kg limit is not something they just thought of and said, hey let's use that. Like everything in this game it is well thought out. Without training, 30kg is a lot to be carrying around, especially in the mountains in the winter. Yes, soldiers do it, sometimes carrying a lot more too, but they do train for that stuff first.

I've been hiking in Scotland a few years back and I had a backpack weighing 22kg. Without much training, that was murder! After a few days I was completely beat at the end of each day. A couple was walking the same route we were walking, we saw them almost every day on the trail. Then on the 4th day or so, we happened to stay at the same B&B and got talking. They were experienced hikers (it was our first real hike) and it turned out their packs were around 12kg. They had made the same mistake the first time and had learned that it's better to pack light if you're going to walk long distances. We learned that lesson all to well by the end of the first week, I can tell you.

What I'm trying to say is 30kg is already a large amount of weight to be carrying around. Don't forget, sitting in a plane all day is not good practice for lugging around the snowy mountains. I think the 30kg is already higher than it should be and that it is so for gameplay reasons.

Oh, I did not see this topic and created a new one. Below is a copy.

---

When I come home, first I love my wife, and then take off my skis and backpack.

Theses:

1. Backpack is clothing.

2. Clothing is backpack.

3. Clothing constrains movement.

Mindroam:

a. Without a backpack I can carry only few items in the hands and pockets, but I move a lot faster.

b. Even an empty backpack has a weight.

c. Naked player has only two hands (two slots inventory) and hidden slots for clothing.

d. How naked player can ignite furnace? Adding materials to the furnace, sequentially? or increase the amount of inventory slots naked player? or restrict inventory by weight?

e. Wearing clothes (jeans, jacket) was added a few more inventory slots, for small items (matches, tinder, etc.)

f. Backpack removes the restriction on the number of inventory slots (or increases the weight limit?)

P.S.

sorry for my google english (

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that quickly getting rid of large amounts of equipment could save your life in many situations, and dropping a heavy container while running from imminent danger definitely makes sense.

Issue #1:

Etc.

Yes, but this would make inventory management very inconvenient to say the least. It means you'll be spending lots of time putting everything in their correct locations, looking for a specific item in the wrong inventory etc... And in this game time is important!

Inventory management could be made more complex, but time could switch to real time when you are managing the inventory in (only in safe situations, to prevent cheating and slow-motion wolves). Carefully managing your inventory should be of capital importance in survival situations, and it is somewhat unfair that it would take three precious game hours to do something that in real life would take 30 minutes.

Issue #2:

I also think the 30kg limit is not something they just thought of and said, hey let's use that. Like everything in this game it is well thought out. Without training, 30kg is a lot to be carrying around, especially in the mountains in the winter. Yes, soldiers do it, sometimes carrying a lot more too, but they do train for that stuff first.

Maybe your carrying capacity could slightly rise in time, like your firestarting ability slightly raises every time you successfully perform that task. After all, surviving the wilderness taking a lot of stuff with you would somehow be a form of training.

Just my two cents.

Archived