Tips for new survivors

Mel Guille

This is just a question. I'm trying to go from the trappers homestead to the forestry lookout. Then to the lonely lighthouse? What's the best route to take? Also, how do you use the map? I go in that menu and it's just the cross hair and darkness. I haven't used it in awhile so I'll check. But I'll still appreciate the help.

Edited by JackIeboy

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

By focusing not on mashing as fast as you can, but in a steady rhythm. Many people find every half second is the sweet spot. For me, it currently seems to be about twice that fast. YMMV.

And use the best weapon you have available for fighting. The hatchet is the best melee weapon in the game. But there's always a chance of being wounded. So always have 2-3 bandages and antiseptic on you. Stop the bleeding before applying antiseptic, otherwise the smell of blood might attract more wolves to you.

Thanks. I just got the hatchet from the Grey Mother. I've been trying to avoid any confrontation because my metal shard just broke. But now I can be free again! *dies 2 minutes later by running off a cliff*

2 hours ago, JackIeboy said:

I'm trying to go from the trappers homestead to the forestry lookout. Then to the lonely lighthouse? What's the best route to take?

Get to the Camp Office. From the tracks by the Camp Office, look towards the Derailment. You'll see the Forestry Lookout on a hilltop to the left of the Derailment. I won't spoil the fun of finding the route up for you.. just mention that it starts on the side closest to the Camp Office. Best route to Desolation Point Lighthouse is via the Ravine near Carter Dam, thence to Coastal Highway. When you get to the other end of Coastal Highway, follow the Crumbling Highway to Desolation Point. It won't take long to spot the Lighthouse.

2 hours ago, JackIeboy said:

Also, how do you use the map? I go in that menu and it's just the cross hair and darkness. I haven't used it in awhile so I'll check.

The map is black until you start sketching it yourself with charcoal obtained from fires. You need to be outdoors with good visibility to sketch. Sketching is done via the Radial Menu.

Edited by JAFO

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 7:20 AM, JAFO said:

Get to the Camp Office. From the tracks by the Camp Office, look towards the Derailment. You'll see the Forestry Lookout on a hilltop to the left of the Derailment. I won't spoil the fun of finding the route up for you.. just mention that it starts on the side closest to the Camp Office. Best route to Desolation Point Lighthouse is via the Ravine near Carter Dam, thence to Coastal Highway. When you get to the other end of Coastal Highway, follow the Crumbling Highway to Desolation Point. It won't take long to spot the Lighthouse.

The map is black until you start sketching it yourself with charcoal obtained from fires. You need to be outdoors with good visibility to sketch. Sketching is done via the Radial Menu.

Thanks. That is cool that hinterland did it so you need charcoal. Also my guy s dying of hypothermia (I was low on resources) and I wonder up a path and think that I made it. BUT I MADE IT TO THE DESTROYED LOOKOUT!!! I grabbed everything and then I saw the forestry lookout and thought, "I could run that". So I run but there was no slope down. My character plummeted to his death. And in the end. He died of massive internal injuries. Let's have a moment of silence for Jackieboy. I called him that. I'm still a new player so I'm not very good. 

12 minutes ago, JackIeboy said:

My character plummeted to his death. And in the end. He died of massive internal injuries. Let's have a moment of silence for Jackieboy. I called him that. I'm still a new player so I'm not very good.

We all of us here have died many, many times.. usually due to our own stupidity, or getting greedy, or overconfident.. It takes time to learn this game, and there's a lot to learn. But every death teaches you something..

Just now, JAFO said:

We all of us here have died many, many times.. usually due to our own stupidity, or getting greedy, or overconfident.. It takes time to learn this game, and there's a lot to learn. But every death teaches you something..

I know what I learned...Look before you run. 

• Upvote 1

First off i just want to say. Todays my first day actually playing tdg. Love it and couldnt be more happier with it. I just have one question on my mind. As i have looked everywhere for this answer (google, wikis, this forum, ect), and needless to say, havent been lucky. But how do you swing/wave the torch at wolves? I am playing this on ps4. And have tried looking everywhere.  But no one mentions this. And i have tried pressing every button. All i can do is throw a torch with L2. Or extinguish with R2. But yet the wikis state you can swing them on pc with rmb. So can you swing torches to try and ward off wolves ? Ive been lucky so far and have been luring wolves into rabbits to get away, but thats real risky. I read a quick reddit post from the beginning of this month mentioning a bug of some sort maybe pertaining to this? Anyone know for sure. Or can perhaps help me. Any info's appreciated

3 minutes ago, BZant said:

First off i just want to say. Todays my first day actually playing tdg. Love it and couldnt be more happier with it. I just have one question on my mind. As i have looked everywhere for this answer (google, wikis, this forum, ect), and needless to say, havent been lucky. But how do you swing/wave the torch at wolves? I am playing this on ps4. And have tried looking everywhere.  But no one mentions this. And i have tried pressing every button. All i can do is throw a torch with L2. Or extinguish with R2. But yet the wikis state you can swing them on pc with rmb. So can you swing torches to try and ward off wolves ? Ive been lucky so far and have been luring wolves into rabbits to get away, but thats real risky. I read a quick reddit post from the beginning of this month mentioning a bug of some sort maybe pertaining to this? Anyone know for sure. Or can perhaps help me. Any info's appreciated

You cannot brandish anymore they removed it. The wikis need to be updated. The best you can hope for is throwing a torch at a wolf and trying to get it to walk over it if you miss....

21 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

You cannot brandish anymore they removed it. The wikis need to be updated. The best you can hope for is throwing a torch at a wolf and trying to get it to walk over it if you miss....

Ok, thanks. Really appreciate it. I was wondering if it was just me. And if i  was having a stupid moment or something lol.  Is that the same with flares as well? I used to watch a few survival playthroughs on yt. One of which being right before the full release and i did see you could swing the flare. Was that removed as well? 

6 hours ago, BZant said:

Is that the same with flares as well? I used to watch a few survival playthroughs on yt. One of which being right before the full release and i did see you could swing the flare. Was that removed as well? 

Yes, it's the same with flares as well.. brandishing was removed completely.. (which made quite a few of us unhappy!)

1. Wildlife can be helpful in determining weather, terrain or potential dangers. For example, if you see birds flying overhead it might mean the weather is about to take a turn for the worse, if you hear waterfowl you might be near a body of water, or if it is eerily quiet, there might be a danger nearby.

2. This tip is fairly basic, but you should generally consume food that will go bad first. If you've got fresh meat at 100% versus a box of crackers at 50%, the meat is still going to go off first, and should be consumed first because it is heavier. Depending on your stock of medical supplies and situation, you might want to abandon food that is at a low percentage, as food poisoning can be more detrimental than foregoing a few hundred calories.

Edited by Simulacra

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

Yes, it's the same with flares as well.. brandishing was removed completely.. (which made quite a few of us unhappy!)

Thats quite disappointing to think about. So does throwing torches or flares work the same then? Albeit smaller chances?  Ive seen the most recent patch notes for ps4 that said torches wernt working in scaring off wolves. So Ive just started making bait. If i cant trust torches then i figured bait might work. So far ive just been getting around kiting rabbits into wolves. Which is pretty dang tricky. 

5 hours ago, BZant said:

Thats quite disappointing to think about. So does throwing torches or flares work the same then? Albeit smaller chances?  Ive seen the most recent patch notes for ps4 that said torches wernt working in scaring off wolves. So Ive just started making bait. If i cant trust torches then i figured bait might work. So far ive just been getting around kiting rabbits into wolves. Which is pretty dang tricky. 

Though I have not used this effectively or consistently the idea is to throw the flare in front of the wolf, sometimes this alone causes the wolf to flee. If not then put it between the wolf and you by edging to either side. The wolf then stands on the flare...and runs off.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RossBondReturns said:

Though I have not used this effectively or consistently the idea is to throw the flare in front of the wolf, sometimes this alone causes the wolf to flee. If not then put it between the wolf and you by edging to either side. The wolf then stands on the flare...and runs off.

Yes that's the plan exactly....

8 hours ago, Simulacra said:

For example, if you see birds flying overhead it might mean the weather is about to take a turn for the worse

More to the point, birds flying across the sky means the weather is going to change soon.. could be worse, could be better..

Another super important tip, eat first, drink last. Some foods add to thrist and hunger icons. Soda, sardines, condensed milk, soup also now and some others. Some are neutral to thrist, cat tails and energy bars. Others subtract from thrist to different degrees. Biggest thrist hit is from crackers. 

You will lose small amounts of condition from your hunger icon being empty, you will lose lots from thrist being empty. 

Your energy drops from any activity, but also your carrying capacity drops as you get tired and the day moves on. You might start the day fine with weight but then be encumbered. I now always try to leave scouting as light as I can be. I set up bases in sandbox mode. When I'm just going to the lake area I leave my bedroll because I can always use a bed in one of the cabins. I carry minimum survival food, cat tails usually and bring one days worth of water. Hatchet, very few matches (store the rest) a sewing kit, rifle, leave extra bullets at the base. I only need a few, it's not that I'm that good a shot, I play on Voyager and avoid wolves if at all possible. 

BIG NEED TO KNOW, without a bed or bedroll you CAN NOT SLEEP!!! Not entirely sure if you can sleep in a car without bedroll, help with this info please. 

Expect to die, and die a lot!!!! I'm on sandbox #70 now. Been playing for 8 months? I long darked several, probably 50 of those on purpose.

Longest survived days for me was 65. And I love this game, probably one of the best I've played!!! From Pong/Atari, that's a lot of games! Cheers and enjoy!!!

38 minutes ago, Mike in GA said:

BIG NEED TO KNOW, without a bed or bedroll you CAN NOT SLEEP!!! Not entirely sure if you can sleep in a car without bedroll, help with this info please. 

Yes...radial menu....under camp craft.....campfire symbol I believe....

41 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Yes...radial menu....under camp craft.....campfire symbol I believe....

Further to which, when you do the above, you'll see a bedroll symbol. Even though you don't have one.. It's just the game's way of saying "you can sleep here". Be aware that a car won't give you much protection from the cold.. you can light a fire near the car door, or under/on the hood, and that will keep you warm inside the car, but don't sleep too long at a stretch, because if the wind blows out the fire, you can freeze to death.

Edited by JAFO
  • Upvote 2

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎18 at 9:59 AM, Mike in GA said:

Note that in addition to cars you can also sleep in a snow shelter without a bedroll (i.e. inside a snow shelter you will have the option to sleep on the radial menu). A bedroll is still best of course. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:50 AM, cekivi said:

Curing Hides, Guts, and Saplings

To cure hides, guts, and saplings simply drop them in an indoor location or cave. If the location is one where curing can occur you will see "0% cured" when you look at the dropped hide, gut, or sapling. All indoor locations will cure hides/guts/saplings. Only some caves will. If the cave has a transition map to get inside it will cure hides/guts/saplings. For caves that are on the main map, placing the item to be cured at the very back should be fine. If you're ever unsure, again, remember to look at the item to verify that it says "x% cured". 

Also, be patient! Many items take 4+ days to cure. 

Thank you! LOL I had the original "Sandbox" version only, and I was beginning to fear that I would perish simply from trying to learn the newer features and aspects. I've been looking on how, exactly, one goes about the curing process. Appreciate that. I keep having to hit the Esc key to learn the key assignments in the midst of so many new things. I am excited, however. I just got to see the lights at dawn, and I am thus far making it! I did choose the easiest level to get acquainted with this all. Couldn't be happier. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2017 at 1:37 AM, Carbon said:

Interesting that you know this. :P

If you have never accidentally consumed your own urine, then you have never been drunk in the basement and too lazy to go upstairs to use the bathroom.

You would think the beer bottle being warm and not cold would have alerted me to my mistake before putting the bottle to my lips and taking a swig....

Drunkenness causes delayed reaction time....

At least it was MY urine....

Now the time my DAD accidentally drank MY urine....that's a story for another day....