Shimmering Mountains Video Bug

Krazy

Snowy rocks and distant snowy mountains constantly shimmer/fluctuate when I move or rotate the camera. Video above should give an indication of what I mean. Attached are game settings. Biggest problem areas are coastal highway by the waterfront and the valley in Timberwolf Mountain. 

Computer video specs:

Radeon Software Version - 17.1.1
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series
Memory Size - 4096 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 980 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 8 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

screen_66548931-f4e1-4e20-9b38-1f069965ba29_hi.png

Play with your draw distance settings and the terrain LOD; it seems that the 'shimmering' things are on the edge of being/not being rendered. I think this represents texture pop-in (and out) more than a shimmer.

Your drivers aren't the latest either, so maybe update them as well.

I've tried adjusting the LOD from max to min for each different option in the Quality, and nothing makes a difference for the issue, which is generally snowy rocks, snowy mountains, snowy cliffs, etc. No matter whether min or max, it goes nuts whenever I move the camera. Not a big problem in isolation, but there's a lot of snowy rocks in this game!

Maybe try a clean driver install? Uninstall the old ones, use driver sweeper to get rid of leftovers and install the latest. One more thing; I found the game looks better when you force ansiotropic filtering through the control panel; it draws distant objects more clearly with more definition. Maybe try that...? It has a small performance penalty, but give it a go.

Archived