Analog Watches

Barretts Privateer

So, telling time has turned into a bit of a random thing as opposed to the whole 'x hours of daylight/nighttime left' we used to have. This idea has always been on my mind, but never really thought of mentioning it as it wasn't quite needed until now, but though it isn't as necessary as I would like it, it still could be a useful tool.

Anyhow, so analog watches; I'm thinking of those older wind-up ones that require no electricity to work...you simply wind them and the springs' tension keeps the hands moving. I doubt that such a system would be affected at all by the electromagnetic storm that has caused the frying of all electronics and sent you crashing into the wilderness, and having a watch would be useful for planning out travels, looting expeditions, etc.

I don't know how common/rare if should be as a spawn, but I think it should, if implemented, slowly lose condition over time as foodstuffs do, as opposed as to per use as typical tools do due to the nature...as for repairs, it should take quality tools (I mean, watches are some pretty delicate pieces of equipment) and possibly 1 or 2 scrap metal.

Other than that, I haven't thought much of it, but I wanted to get it out there while it was on my mind.

Edited by Barretts Privateer

Yes to watches, no to durability. They should have same parameters as magnifying glass(rare and indestructible). On the downside, if player forgets to wind it up, then hes in trouble.

Could be even several types of watches. Simple ones, advanced ones(with various other stuff, like barometer included) and expensive variations of those two, making their spring lasting longer before it needs winding up.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I would add: Damn he is a pilot an he goes without watch?

I dont think winding is good idea. Pilot should have good watches so one of these selfwinding could be great.

About the barometer: Do they make mechanical watch with mechanical barometer?

I'm with Frozen Corpse on this despite it being a bit illogical that a pilot wouldn't have a good watch with him (but perhaps it got broken during the crash).  I like the organic feel of the game which stems from having to read the environment and keeping tabs on the position of the sun.

Dang, necroed after 2 years.  And yet, here I am, replying anyway lol

This reminds me of something I thought of a while back.  Take away the ability to choose exactly how long you want to sleep.  If you go to sleep, instead you have two options, "Short Rest" and "Long Rest".  So you do have a measure of control, but you don't know exactly when you'll wake up as it's partially randomized.  Like 1-6 hours for a short rest, and 7-12 hours for a long rest.  Then, introduce a wind-up alarm clock to the game.  When carried in inventory, this clock allows you to tell time down to the minute, as well as allow you to select exactly how many hours you want to sleep.

• Upvote 1

The game used to have a "clock" albeit as part of the game log. I made a lot of use of it. Then it got changed (was removed) and I adjusted to the change.  So rancid0 you're doing exactly what I do since we don't have a watch or clock in the game. 

A watch might be more trouble for Hinterland to implement than it might be worth. There is hasty time that can occur in any number of ways which would make coordinating the passage of game-time and that of the watch or clock maybe a bit of a puzzle. 

If it becomes important in game-play of story mode, I am sure we'll get something but otherwise not. 

As a mechanical watch owner, this would be cool to see in-game, but I see problems.

Aside from development and implementation hurdles, the realism (and I know this game isn't aiming to be totally realistic) might be a bit screwy.  For one, moisture and shock are not friendly to those watches, and snow everywhere and a plane crash would definitely mess things up in a delicate system.  Gaskets to replace, broken glass could allow water and debris in, and the constant need to rewind it unless it has a pendulum like mine that auto-winds as you move your wrist.  On top of that, with the game's aurora phenomenon and electricity acting up, I'd imagine magnetism from many sources would affect the accuracy (not exactly into all the sciency bits here, but I'm making a guess, and assuming the aurora has anything whatsoever to do with magnetism).  

As much as I'd love the convenience of a mechanical watch like I do IRL, I doubt it would ever make an appearance in-game, sadly.

• Like 1