Forlorn Muskeg

Ahatch

Really enjoying the new update still playing Voyageur my favorite but trying to stay on the Forlorn Muskeg map for as long as possible. So far I'm at 10 days and down to just 8 matches. Just want to know what is everyone's longest run staying just on the Forlorn Map.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the map but yeah it doesn't seem very survivable. I might fire up another sandbox to have a go at surviving there, I don't think it would be so bad if you go in geared, spawning there and just using the resources in that region however would be another matter.

Well I just hit the 15 day mark on Forlorn and it has been nip and tuck the whole way. I made my way around from the Homestead to the cave by the waterfall. I found the climbing rope and plan to eventually make my way down to the low blind to check for loot. I have deer skin and gut at all the caves as I have harvested all the dead deer along the route. I found a bow and a single arrow at the high blind in the middle of the map so managed to kill 2 deer so far. I got food poisoning twice eating sardines and my condition dropped below 30% a few times. Fell through the ice once but made it back to safety of a cave. I found 12 matches in the cave I'm at so now have 17 so good for a while. I would like to stay here for a while but with only one snare and I'm not so got at rock hunting rabbits I will have to make my way back around and pick up the stuff I left in caves including maple and birch saplings and go back to the homestead and craft better bow and more arrows etc. My improvised axe is at 19% so I also need to forge a new one soon but I left 8 scrap metal in a box at the Poachers Camp which means I will have to figure out my route back to the homestead which is not easy. There's wolves blocking the way along the edge of the marsh so likely dangerous passages through the marsh are likely on the agenda. 

TLDFMU.png

At the 18 day mark I have made my way just about all the way around the entire map. I'm sitting in the cave just by the homestead. I made my way down to the low blind then travelled along the outside to make it here. There is a wolf blocking my path to the homestead so I may have to try my luck with the bow. I need to pass by the homestead and make my way to the caves on the other side to collect my guts / hides and saplings and metal in the poachers camp. I did not find a gun on the map but I have plenty of bullets so my long term prospects on this map are not looking up. Down to 15 matches/ fire striker so my goal of making it 50 days on Forlorn are going to be tough.  

I usually go to Forlorn Muskeg as an endgame...usually after I've crafted a load of arrows and have some of the better clothes.

This current run seems like it will be pretty good...two weeks in, and I've already found the expedition parka, snow pants, the Cowichan sweater, balacava, and so on. I also found the rifle, and am working my way towards the riken to forge some arrows. After that, it's to Mystery Lake for some final prep before going to commit suicide challenge myself in the muskeg.

Well I managed to make it to now 21 days :D and just coming back to the homestead with a couple maple saplings and some cured gut. Need to make a new bow as mine is at 19%. Still only have 1 arrow as I found some birch saplings but they are not all cured yet. Again battling starvation so need to go get some deer to fill my belly. Back here at the ranch/prison to use the work bench and if one of those wolves get within range I might have to settle for wolf meat. 

TLDFMU2.png

I find FM one of the easier maps to survive, especially on Interloper because there are tons of Cat Tails to gather and a plateau with bunnies without any wolf. Hunt some rabbits, then live off CT until they respawn, rinse & repeat. There's also some good loot to be found, a forge and a loading-screen cave. Only difficult thing is to navigate across weak ice without running into wolves.

Plus it's very close to ML full of deer and fish and a guaranteed (?) spawnpoint for the MagGlass ;)

32 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

Plus it's very close to ML full of deer and fish and a guaranteed (?) spawnpoint for the MagGlass ;)

I found 2 magnifying lenses on FM. I lived there for two weeks. There was only one day i could use the lens to start a fire. If it's not for the firestriker i could have died.

Yes using the Mag requires more planing ahead to get out the maximum of it. But on early game there should be more oppertunities to use the Mag in two weeks, even on Interloper past day 50 I could usually find a sunny hour very early just after sunrise every 3-4 days.

Also, best use of a Mag is inside a fishing hut for three reasons: the fire is wind- and weather-proof, you can get food by fishing and you spend time outside, diminishing the risk for Cabin Fever.

I'm closing in on 24 days I was able to make it back to the homestead and make a new arrow as my only arrow was broke. But seen I needed 8.5 hours to craft a new bow and with an empty stomach and 3 wolves patroling nearby I figured I needed to get the heck out of that prison. So I managed to hang out at the nearby cave and go out and gather some cat tails to keep me going. I finally went on a long walk across the marsh and found my way back to the Poachers Camp. So I'm going to gather up metal and head all the way back to the homestead to craft a new axe and knife as both are running out of life. I have a bunch of Birch saplings curing in the cave near the old ranch so the goal is to craft a bunch of arrows and a new bow and start hunting some deer / wolves :)

Kinda stuck at 26 days things are really crappy I must say for starters I made a couple major blunders. I left the Hammer plus all my birch saplings in the cave to the west of the homestead. Not the safer cave by the bunkhouses but the one down what I call wolf trail. Anyway there is two wolves patroling that road and of course I have one meezly arrow and no gun. So the debate is go deal with the wolves and roll the dice to survive a wolf attack or two and get my stuff or double back the long way around the whole map and get to the cave the safer route. This of course is not without pitfalls though as again with one arrow there is the chance that I will starve before I make it all the way back around as I've cleaned up the cat tails pretty good LOL. What to do ..what to do 

22 hours ago, Ahatch said:

the one down what I call wolf trail. Anyway there is two wolves patroling that road and of course I have one meezly arrow and no gun. So the debate is go deal with the wolves and roll the dice to survive a wolf attack or two and get my stuff or double back the long way around the whole map and get to the cave the safer route.

Go watch the referenced part of this video, then get yourself some stones, and use them to get the wolves out of your way.

So I tested out this rock mechanism a bit threw some rocks from the loft in Spencers farmstead and those wolves came just into range and I let one have it :D Now I need to be able to harvest it without getting jumped.

TLDFMU3.png

Creeping along at 28 days since I can't get as much time to play during the summer. After harvesting everything but the guts and 0.3 kg of meat from that wolf I shot ,  I finally got the courage to skirt the outside of the hills and made it to the cave where my hammer and saplings were . I had a sprained ankle but no wolf attack. The wolf hide and gut there are cured so now I must make my way back to the Homestead. Feeling much braver and the rock throwing mechanism is gonna help me clear my path and maybe land me some more food. When I get back to Spencers the plan is to make some more arrows and a new axe and knife as my axe is ruined and my knife is at 40%. That should leave me a very doable 20 more days to hit 50 straight on Forlorn. I have found no rifle yet and I'm not sure if a rifle spawn is a guartantee on this map so I may have to circle the whole thing again and see if I come across one. Nothing is easy about this map but it's challenging :) and I have not reached that confortable stage where you start to get bored. 

Congratulations on making it back to the resources in the cave!

On 7/7/2017 at 10:11 AM, Ahatch said:

I have not reached that confortable stage where you start to get bored.

I think FM is one of those places that will never be boring.

Hit day 29 still starving just 3 cat tails left , I have 2 arrows now and I need one more crow feather so I can make a third. Food is scarce so going to try my luck bagging another wolf. That will give me my fourth wolf pelt enough to make a coat . But food seems to be the biggest problem I need to get back to bunny grove eventually and that nice warm cave and stay a while. 

TLDFMU4.png

TLDFMU5.png

TLDFMU6.png

I'm at day 32, I am living off wolf meat as I killed 2 wolves by the cave behind the bunk houses. After killing the second wolf one of my two arrows broke. I managed to make my way to the cave just up the hill where I had 2 deer hides cured and a nice supply of fire wood stored. I found enough crow feathers to craft 2 arrows (found 2 near corpse). There is a couple deer just down the hill from here so going to try to get at least one of them and make my way back to the Spencers to craft. Again I'm in the same boat just 3 cat tails and a couple mushrooms so living hand to mouth. Once I get to three arrows I will have the luxery to harvest them when their condition drops bellow 30  as I have lots of arrow shafts in my inventory. Firestriker condition is dropping so going to have to be conservative with the fires. Repaired my cloths today as I see crafting here is a lot tougher. Not sure how I will manage to make the wolf coat in the 50 day window as crafting at the homestead is basically outdoors. I can craft but have to do bits at a time then warm up etc. 

Well things going pretty good on day 34. I came out of my cave to shoot the deer only to discover they were gone so I gathered up the mushrooms and made it back to Spencers Homestead and wouldn't you know there were the deer there! So I crafted 2 more arrows and shot 2 deer. To avoid attracting the nearby wolf I used the hacksaw to remove 1 kg of meat at a time and carried it back to barn where I stuffed it in the steel box under the loft. Anyway I hauled all but 0.8 kg of meat back totally exhausting me as well as burning all the callories I had gained from the first meal :D Fire striker is at 24% and 8 matches left  going to have to be smart if I can make it to Day 50 without running out completely.

TLDFMU7.png

Day 38 now , Shot 1 more deer so food is not an issue at the moment . With my dwindling matches and degrading fire striker I have been on perma fire mode for a couple days. Pretty dull really gather enough wood to keep the fire going cook some deer have a sleep. Really tough as you get 3 hours sleep get up and exhaust yourself to get enough firewood to keep the fire going and repeat the cycle.  Now my goal is to get my wolf pelts from the cave and gather enough wood and make my wolf coat. Hoping I can stay around here a bit,  craft some snares and make my way back to the warm cave where I can sleep without a fire going. 

Archived