Added Creature: Fox

Josh M

Last night around midnight I heard a loud screeching/screaming sound outside. At the time I couldn't begin to imagine what it was. I was thinking, like, cougar, or raccoon or something. But turns out it was a female fox (vixen), which I discovered the next day. For those of you who haven't heard a fox scream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NuhlibHsM Give it a listen at about 0:31.

Anyway, it occurred to me that a fox might be an interesting little addition to The Long Dark. They would be more of a small aesthetic to the game rather than a gameplay mechanic (As wolves are hostile, as well as bears. And other animals are good for hunting). I'm thinking maybe it would be interesting if the foxes were sort of an elusive part of the game that you can only find occasionally in certain parts of certain maps. Maybe you can hear them at night, or they can wake you up or something. I don't know. I just think it would be a cool little experience to hear or see a group of foxes in the distance. Plus that scream would add to the atmosphere at certain points, maybe catch some players off guard.

I would have done some quick Long Dark concept art for the fun of it, but I don't have my Cintiq with me. :( (Some of my work, btw:)

Again, just a thought more than anything else. It would be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts. I hope this isn't too far fetched, or miscellaneous. At least listen to the screams in the video if nothing else. :) 

Thanks.

On 6/1/2017 at 0:11 PM, Josh M said:

Last night around midnight I heard a loud screeching/screaming sound outside. At the time I couldn't begin to imagine what it was. I was thinking, like, cougar, or raccoon or something. But turns out it was a female fox (vixen), which I discovered the next day. For those of you who haven't heard a fox scream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NuhlibHsM Give it a listen at about 0:31.

Anyway, it occurred to me that a fox might be an interesting little addition to The Long Dark. They would be more of a small aesthetic to the game rather than a gameplay mechanic (As wolves are hostile, as well as bears. And other animals are good for hunting). I'm thinking maybe it would be interesting if the foxes were sort of an elusive part of the game that you can only find occasionally in certain parts of certain maps. Maybe you can hear them at night, or they can wake you up or something. I don't know. I just think it would be a cool little experience to hear or see a group of foxes in the distance. Plus that scream would add to the atmosphere at certain points, maybe catch some players off guard.

I would have done some quick Long Dark concept art for the fun of it, but I don't have my Cintiq with me. :( (Some of my work, btw:)

Again, just a thought more than anything else. It would be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts. I hope this isn't too far fetched, or miscellaneous. At least listen to the screams in the video if nothing else. :) 

Thanks.

I love see that to and I would hunt them fun be for run to hole in ground

I'd love to have foxes in the game! 2 years ago, I posted some thoughts about them in another thread that you can find here: Rabbit wishes.

On 10/4/2015 at 6:01 PM, Muk_Pile said:

I'd like it if they added a new predator to the mix. Something that doesn't directly threatens you but can make your life miserable just the same.

I'm talking about foxes and lynx, both of which prey exclusively upon small mammals (e.g. rabbits), so they would be perfect for cleaning up your left-over rabbit carcasses. However, they would also be very good at cleaning up the carcasses you haven't had the chance to harvest at all yet, denying you a precious calorie resource and making you life much more challenging. Of course, they themselves might get stuck in a snare along with the rabbits, allowing you to catch them red-handed.

They'd make oh so comfortable hats. ;)

15 hours ago, Muk_Pile said:

I'd love to have foxes in the game! 2 years ago, I posted some thoughts about them in another thread that you can find here: Rabbit wishes.

I really like that idea! It doesn't seem right that the corpses just stay there and are always perfectly harvestable (with a hatchet).

• 3 months later...
On 05/06/2017 at 7:26 PM, NStats said:

I like this idea a lot. The foxes could eat rabbits for the player to scavenge, and maybe the pelts could be used for some clothes. 

i was a thing that i whould never have imagined but it could be pretty awesome 

Archived