Easter Eggs - yes or no?

Hotzn

Who wants Easter Eggs in TLD?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In case someone does NOT know what the term "Easter Eggs" means here: In a video game, Easter Eggs are little hidden things the player can discover that make reference to things, events or people outside of the actual game. Secret messages from the developers, in other words.

Personally, I am all for Easter Eggs. In every game. We are all human, which is a thing that occasionally deeply moves me just out of itself. Developers make a game, and they want that game to be perfect, or at least as good as possible, so the game somehow should be at the center of attention of, well, the game. This is especially true for a game that intends to tell a meaningful story and is meant to immerse the player. But... I just love to occasionally find Easter Eggs. In any game. Immersive games should not overdo it, as Easter Eggs can also distract. But a well-made Easter Egg... there is nothing better. It allows me to connect with the game and the people behind it on a deeper level. Some games I remember mainly because of a well-made Easter Egg. Also, finding that rare and really well-made Easter Egg is extremely rewarding.

Thinking carefully, TLD already has a little Easter Egg - the "KG" on one of the wooden crosses outside of the Trapper's Homestead. A personal message from the developers, to whoever. It's moving. We are all human, in the end.

So what do you folks think about Easter Eggs in general and about the possibility of having Easter Eggs in TLD? I would also be interested which Easter Eggs in past games you liked above all, and why.

There are already a bunch of easter eggs both internally and externally. I think the some of the names of the authors on the researchable books are some of the real names of the devs. There's the grave marker with the initials, "KG", inscribed into it (which, to the best of my predictions: it is something to do with story mode or connects directly with the Hinterland staff). The descriptions of most of the craft-able fur clothing can be found mentioning how they make you look like a Mad Max character. We know from the Hinterland team descriptions that the staff are all serious fans for the Mad Max movies. Along with all that, there is an abundance of Canadian references across the board.

I would like to see a reference to Chris McCandless. Alaska is not Canada, i know, but an abandoned (school) bus with some Pictures in it and some personal items from him that are/was in the real bus, that would be cool.

And also some quotes from him when starting a new Sandbox, that would be great.

Archived