Where do you call home in the long dark?

Tbone555

@Mortan1234, it could all be sheer coincidence of course.  But like @SnowWalker mentioned earlier in the thread about starting new game over and over until a certain house materializes, In my attempts to spawn the elusive weapons cache or hunter's cache I had to launch dozens of new sandbox games over and over until it materialized.  Upwards of  35 starts the first time I found it and well over 50 starts the second time around.   Both times though, no dead guy.  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Upwards of  35 starts the first time I found it and well over 50 starts the second time around.   Both times though, no dead guy.  

perhaps it is more accurate to say that every time the weapons cache appears the guy is gone. i just tried out a few runs and found no dead guy but the cache was also not there. in mathematic proofs that is called the converse and if the original sentence is correct then the converse is not necessarily also true.

3 hours ago, Mortan1234 said:

perhaps it is more accurate to say that every time the weapons cache appears the guy is gone. i just tried out a few runs and found no dead guy but the cache was also not there. in mathematic proofs that is called the converse and if the original sentence is correct then the converse is not necessarily also true.

you're right, besides being more accurate, that's probably exactly whats happening though.  sorry man, I was never good at math, lolO.o

I love these threads even though all the answers basically the same no matter where you read the question (here, Reddit, steam)

Favorite is always going to be Trappers but, I confess, I usually end up basing out of Camp Office. Trappers is AWESOME but it's jut too remote.  Camp Office seems the better location for long runs.

I'm a fan of Jackrabbit island but the lack of a crafting table is kind of a deal killer.

The abandoned cache in Pleasant Valley near the Timberwolf Mountain rope is a very cool place too live out of, albeit its a bit dark in there.

I'm also, oddly perhaps, a fan of building (and for a few runs living out of) the cave in The Ravine.

For me Mystery Lake is the zone to call home.  It's centrally located to the other zones (on equal footing with CH now that Forlorn is in the game) and it's just my favorite zone.

• 2 weeks later...

hey @Mortan1234,

just wanted to give you a quick heads up... with the wipe and update, it took a mere 7 starts before the bunker spawned and no dead guy in the Camp Office.  So I think you summed it up best when you said "...it is more accurate to say that every time the weapons cache appears the guy is gone."  Got two sweet rifles and 20 rounds to start and cozy little crib all to myself!  :)

On 5/17/2017 at 9:46 PM, michael_martin said:

I prefer little locations that most people overlook. Stone Church for example is one of my favorites...plenty of rabbits, mushrooms, firewood, etc.

I also like Poacher's camp at Forlorn Muskeg too. You can climb the trees and get on top of the rail cars easily and hunt the bears.

Spoken like a true poacher, and thanks for the advice ;)

Where do I call home?

Honestly, I'm a bit of a nomad...though I have my destinations that I try to get to as temporary bases. Typically, I prefer the Lighthouse in DP, the Quonset and Misanthrope's in CH, the Dam, Camp Office, and Trapper's Cabin in ML, and the Radio Tower and Farmhouse in PV (I don't typically go to the others until I've gotten fairly settled.)

As can be expected from living like this, I tend to travel fairly heavily from place to place...I take more than I would need on my transits between locations in case of blizzards.

An exception to this is when I am forging...I tend to pack up everything but the bare essentials in the lighthouse, then do plenty of trips to and from various locations around DP, gathering coal and scrap metal for arrows.

Before I sold my XB1, I spent my time in and around The Camp Office on Mystery Lake. I'm still not that good at the game. I'm waiting for it to come to PS4 Pro as I don't own a PC. I don't mind buying the game twice. I will gladly support Hinterland. They are awesome.

EDIT: This game is very relaxing for someone like me who suffers from depression and PTSD. It's a huge benefit. My doctor told me to find something to keep my mind busy, so I chose TLD. This game reminds me of growing up a Kentucky country boy and playing in the woods during the winter months. :)

• 1 month later...

In Mystery Lake it used to be the Cabin Office for me, but I found that navigating the stairway in the dark problematic - one should be able to easily make their way to bed in the dead of night (perhaps it's just me). Also, once I started trapping, there were better, closer locations to the bunnies. The dead guy at the top of the stairs never bothered me. Trapper's Homestead is my cozy new ML base, but there is a constant pull towards multiple bases in Coastal Highway.

In Coastal, the one-story Waterfront Cottage is my base of choice, the house nearest to the Crumbling Highway. The stone, indoor fireplace feels homey, one door leads onto a porch which is a safe way to exit (a bear and a wolf patrol right by the house), the position of the kitchen appliances makes it easy to find the bed in the dark (the white stove and refrigerator appear to glow a bit), rabbits hop right next the porch, and it is as close on that map as you can get to the forge in Desolation Point.

My other CH base is the cabin in Rabbit Grove. It sits above the river, has rabbits galore, wolves and bears don't seem to make it up the incline, and it's as close as you can get to The Ravine. Perhaps I prefer camping out near transition zones. 

The coastal houses on Jackrabbit Island and Misanthrope's Homestead are popular choices, but I do not prefer the interiors. I use the island houses as travel stops on my way back and forth from Waterfront to the Grove, leaving a few supplies in each in case I get stuck in one for the night, and leaving all my crafting supplies in the Fishing Village in the middle. Having more than one base on the same map forces me to travel back and forth quite a bit, which keeps me outside and mitigates the probability of cabin fever (I've only ever contracted it once during a crafting session in Trapper's Homestead).

As for DP, I always start in the lighthouse, but again, those darn stairs! I end up moving into the whaling facility, though I do not prefer the industrial feel of it (or the Dam or Riken or Quonset).

In Pleasant Valley the farmhouse is a spacious, obvious choice, but I've always had an itch to try the Radio Control Hut, the Rural House with the flag, and, if possible, the prepper cache by the pond. I've also wanted to try a cave in the Ravine and the Lookout in ML, even if they aren't ideal locations.

Forlorn Muskeg and Timberwolf Mountain feel like zones to use or raid, and not call home, but I understand the immersive appeal of the Mountaineer's Hut. 

Best of luck with your decision. The best part is you can eventually try them all!

• 2 weeks later...

In Stalker I love TWM mountaineers hut.  Love that the bear re-spawns, lots of wolves, deer, rabbit, even fish..... In stalker it's not too cold.  Interloper on the  other hand is completely different!  I like fishing huts in CH and Jack Rabbit Island... really safe!  I am now in ML Camp office on day 80 and have three wolf pelts cured one to go and then on goes the best coat in the game... about 4 times warmer than my current double ski jacket set up!  ML is tricky you can run out of food and wood, you have to mix it up on interloper... fish, wolf, rabbit.  Camp  Office is a pretty good  base because there is plenty of wood in lakeside buildings that you can break down without freezing to death.... haven't harvested a log or branch in ages, too damn cold! 

Depends on what region I'm in!

In ML, it's the Camp Office.

In CH, it's the gas station.

DP, the whale processing facility.

FM, it's the Poacher's Camp, then Old Spence Homestead when I'm able to get there.

PV, the farmstead.

TWM, Mountaineer's Hut until I'm prepared to climb to the summit.  

At Broken Railroad, I stay in the Maintenance garage obviously! 

I've been everywhere but Timberwolf mountain and personally I feel most comfortable at the house on Jackrabbit Island on the Coastal Highway so far due to its capabilities of long term survival and convenience for travel throughout the other regions. It's the most settled area on the entire island and if you were in this situation for reals would you not want to keep an eye on the one area a seaplane or ship may stop by in the hope of being rescued? 

5998cbd2d10ba_TheLongDark_20170819183647.thumb.jpg.d1bdf045b88a45caecc80518a1ea1f8f.jpg

Drawback is no indoor fire but two fishing huts are nearby enough to rectify that, and there is a workbench outside within the Fishing cabin area. I actually managed to construct the wolf skin coat there with a fire close by and some merciful weather. Plus you can always travel to the mine up North for an indoor workbench the trek isn't too far and is much less dangerous than the trip to the gas station imo. Best part is no Cabin fever and the view. I am currently at the 75 day mark without a case of it yet.

5998cbe40597b_TheLongDark_20170815155056.thumb.jpg.effe11ad3cc22d68e1b29c49c0957db1.jpg

Stay Frosty out there, whereever you may roam and lay your head B|

On my Pilgrim game one of the coastal houses in CH is my home, the one closest to the coast. On any other difficulty this would be a suicide location, but now it's great. Pretty central, enough wood nearby, and a workbench right across the street at Quonset. Also establishing Jackrabbit Island as a second home, but it sucks there's no indoor fire there. For now I just camp out there a few days to catch some rabbits and do some fishing, then head back home with my haul. I can only truly call a place home if there's a fire burning inside. Thinking of moving to Pleasant Valley, but I wanna make a bow first.

On my voyageur game it's the camp office at Mystery Lake. Some wolves around but you can see them from far away, and has every other comfort. 

2 hours ago, Hackfleisch said:

On my Pilgrim game one of the coastal houses in CH is my home, the one closest to the coast. On any other difficulty this would be a suicide location, but now it's great. Pretty central, enough wood nearby, and a workbench right across the street at Quonset. Also establishing Jackrabbit Island as a second home, but it sucks there's no indoor fire there. For now I just camp out there a few days to catch some rabbits and do some fishing, then head back home with my haul. I can only truly call a place home if there's a fire burning inside. Thinking of moving to Pleasant Valley, but I wanna make a bow first.

On my voyageur game it's the camp office at Mystery Lake. Some wolves around but you can see them from far away, and has every other comfort. 

The indoor fire + workbench is exactly why I use Quonset as my home! And Camp Office is a great ML home, it's my first choice. :)

2 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

The indoor fire + workbench is exactly why I use Quonset as my home! And Camp Office is a great ML home, it's my first choice. :)

My master plan is to usually stay in CH (Quonset) for a month or so, crafting items and sorting loot. Most importantly, make some trips to the forge in DP. Then, in my golden years, I prefer to retire to the forestry lookout in ML. It may not be the most practical location, but it does something for the soul that other locations can't beat. Plus there's the immersion boost of not having a loading screen when entering exiting (although that means I can only save on rest). I love it there :) 

2 minutes ago, Lrrr Ruler of OP8 said:

My master plan is to usually stay in CH (Quonset) for a month or so, crafting items and sorting loot. Most importantly, make some trips to the forge in DP. Then, in my golden years, I prefer to retire to the forestry lookout in ML. It may not be the most practical location, but it does something for the soul that other locations can't beat. Plus there's the immersion boost of not having a loading screen when entering exiting (although that means I can only save on rest). I love it there :) 

I love it there too! I always end up breaking down all the furniture for reclaimed though, so it looks more "minimalistic" with just a couple counters and a bunk.

Just now, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I love it there too! I always end up breaking down all the furniture for reclaimed though, so it looks more "minimalistic" with just a couple counters and a bunk.

Haha yeah it does have a small clutter problem ;) Maybe I'll try that next time, make a little more room for myself and my stuff. On the other hand though, I do like the aesthetic as it is! 

3 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

My first base in CH was the easternmost house along the road heading up the hill because it was nice and close to the back entrance to the gas station for quick entry for dodging the wolves when needing to craft.  I just got sick of dealing with them everytime I returned to base so that's why I prefer Jackrabbit Island 

5 minutes ago, Lrrr Ruler of OP8 said:

Great view up there maybe I'll give that place a try when I go back to loot there 

On 5/11/2017 at 2:17 PM, Tbone555 said:

So here's an interesting one just for fun - where do yall call home in this game?

For me, it's the trappers cabin in ML. for one reason - it's my dream home in real life. tiny cabin in the woods, isolated, plenty of wildlife for huntin, nearby ideal fishing spot, beautiful view on beautiful land. I feel SO at home there :D

So what about you guys? there's too many debates about story mode these days, let's have a good just for fun discussion for old times sake :)

Hunters cabin ( For unlimited fire ) and Cabin office ( For everything else )

I started at DP. I loved it! I had never been there before and was spawned right in the lighthouse. I didn't even spam start it, just a lucky day I guess. The rabbits were everywhere, the wolves could be skirted. I was finding fish just lying around, seemed a little tight with wood since I couldn't find a hatchet. I found a forge, but zero hammer spawns, so it was useless for now. Sure, hanging out at the top of the lighthouse was cool and all, but the map was so small. I hate say it, but living in a dark lighthouse got really boring. I had to move on or else risk a form of transference-cabin fever in real life.

The connection between DP and CH is not exactly complicated or large, but I think there was a wolf. Can't really recall as I haven't been back since I left about sixty days ago. Mainly because I still haven't found a hammer. I have enough coal to run the forge for a week, but no friggin' hammer! Sorry, starting to get on my nerves. Stayed the first night at those first set of houses off the road. Found some fir and cedar at the same time I found out I could use the hacksaw to cut them. Don't judge, I thought it was only for metal. One of the houses had a railing around one of it's doors and ended up saving me from a bear attack. The beds gave a very awesome +8⁰C warmth bonus, but there was no practical workbench nearby. So I looted the two of them and moved to the garage. The garage is a pain. Sure, there's alot of loot, and nice floor space. The cars that are close by are great for outdoor food storage. A couple of houses close by to loot, maybe sleep in for that bed bonus. But the garage is dark, gloomy even. At night I've needed to light a torch just to find the bed. Wolves can spawn right at either door and sometimes both doors are covered. I still haven't found a hammer so I don't feel like dying quite yet. I checked out the two homes on the islands, but they weren't for me. Too much of a chance for bear encounters, walking the wrong way during a blizzard and maybe ending up in the drink. For awhile my base was the garage, but I lived in a coastal home with a fireplace. That worked for a bit. It was homey, but still didn't feel like home. I tried the nomad thing for a bit. I found that being a nomad leads to never knowing where your stuff is at. Mostly when you need that certain thing right away. CH is fun and it's bounty is lush in many respects, but I really didn't feel the love.

I moved to ML and saw the tressle for the first time without fog or a blizzard going on. Found that very impressive, thank you Hinterland. Checked out the dam for the first time since it was updated and loved it. Still wasn't a home though. Camp Office looked amazing, fairly well lit, plenty of floor space for curing and wood. The fishing there kind of sucks, but at least there's fish. Wolves tend to be manageable, bears mind their own business mostly, tons of different spawns for deer, and rabbits everywhere. Firewood is practically carpeted around ML and there's so much to explore! Just about the only things it didn't have for me was a hammer or a firestriker. I initially made base at the office with the idea of maybe making home at the firewatch tower. I liked the windows and being up off the ground. I really love heights in and out of game. It was too remote for me though. Trapper's cabin is okay for hunting trips or just a change of scenery. I tried those logging huts that have, that burnt house with the woodstove in it, close by. <-*Yawn.*  Then I had a memory about a cave.

I had almost forgotten about it. I had never spent the night in a cave on purpose at that point. I remembered thinking this one cave I saw had potential. The area is predator free, lots of wood, and game is everywhere. I teared up, just like when I was eight and watched Ol' Yeller. I've been in that cave for twenty days now. I don't give a rat's ass about the hammer or the forge now. I found home, and apparently I'm also a hobbit.

I like the fishing houses in CH. I like the one with the workbench outside so I don't get Cabin Fever from crafting....

It's burned down sometimes depending on difficulty....

What difficulty mode are you playing on? I can't believe there was no hammer at Hibernia or the Riken....but if you are on Interloper I think that's possible....

I am pretty sure you aren't playing on Interloper because you never spawn INSIDE shelters on Interloper....and you said you spawned in the lighthouse....so there REALLY should be a hammer somewhere. When you were searching Hibernia and the Riken did you use a lantern and/or torches, so you could see?....Also, did you check up the pipe in Hibernia that goes to the little hidden nook under a rowboat. There's a lot of places where they hide stuff....

On Voyager I fond a hammer in the Red tool box at the end of the mine that takes you to DP. Then I found ANOTHER at Hibernia....and I brought one with me....I have too many hammers....lol. Also, you can repair them...which means you really only need one.

The connection zone to DP has a couple wolves actually. The wiki claims there can be a bear, too....but I didn't notice the bear on Voyager (thank God! ).

Archived