Where do you call home in the long dark?

Tbone555

So here's an interesting one just for fun - where do yall call home in this game?

For me, it's the trappers cabin in ML. for one reason - it's my dream home in real life. tiny cabin in the woods, isolated, plenty of wildlife for huntin, nearby ideal fishing spot, beautiful view on beautiful land. I feel SO at home there :D

So what about you guys? there's too many debates about story mode these days, let's have a good just for fun discussion for old times sake :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Docterrok said:

Mine is signal hill, its perfect for late game.

It's got a workbench - but what's your food source? the fishing hut is a bit of a walk and I've never had much luck with wildlife in the area.

Just now, alone sniper said:

mountaineer hut in TWM  !! 

How!? I've never been able to get enough firewood to survive in that place! :P

Just now, Tbone555 said:

It's got a workbench - but what's your food source? the fishing hut is a bit of a walk and I've never had much luck with wildlife in the area.

How!? I've never been able to get enough firewood to survive in that place! :P

Wolves and bears and a boatload of rabbits.

18 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

Is not that far away - less than 1 game-hour. And the morning walk does you good! 

Even if you're  cold when you arrive, you can warm up again by the hut's stove while you do a spot of fishing. The surrounding woods are full of rabbits and firewood, and you even get a deer showing up on the pond every few days. And there are never any wolves or bears, ever. 

In fact, once you have enough firewood stocked at the fishing hut, you can pretty much live in that, only returning to the radio hut when you need to make new hooks, line or clothing.

Or better than that:

if the bunker spawns by the pond, you can sleep in there during adverse weather.

You only need to make occasional trips into the valley to collect cloth and scrap metal, so it can get fairly sedentary and repetitive, but it's very, very cushy.

But having said all that, I still feel most at home in the Camp Office. Probably always will.

I've called the Mountaineer's Hut home for roughly the last two in-game months but just left Timberwolf Mountain and am now heading back to Mystery Lake to live out my days at the Forestry Outlook. If it gets too cold too often I'll move to the 'murder scene cabin' near the Nameless Pond.

I agree with Tbone though...Trapper's Cabin is a dream home. Maybe I'll live at all three places ;)

personally i stay at the quincy's quonset in coastal highway. it is very close to 2 bears (good for guts and bear hide) 5 wolves (plenty of wolf coat but probably more trouble than they are worth) and both fishing huts and a good herd of deer for safe food (not to mention pants and shoes). when you start running low on arrows you can always move to jackrabbit island and trap rabbits while looking for birch saplings that have washed up from the shore.

Depends on the mode.  I'm still getting the hang of interloper.  I've made it to where it's my stupid mistakes rather than ignorance that kills me.  On my previous run, I had great stockpiles going and then decided to march through a heavily wooded area at night.  Weather turned bad and I didn't see the wolves circling until I was stepping on them.  Still, if I can get a bedroll, I think I'd probably park at the ranger station in mystery lake.  On Voyage, I like places where I don't have to fight wolves constantly, so maybe a fishing hut on coastal highway.  Somewhere near jackrabbit hill or even the one near the bear spawn so I can hunt him if I need another pelt.  In pilgrim... you can really survive anywhere and the joy of pilgrim is being able to travel easily, so I think I'd be like cekivi up above and be a total nomad while I explored.

10 hours ago, Pillock said:

Is not that far away - less than 1 game-hour. And the morning walk does you good! 

Even if you're  cold when you arrive, you can warm up again by the hut's stove while you do a spot of fishing. The surrounding woods are full of rabbits and firewood, and you even get a deer showing up on the pond every few days. And there are never any wolves or bears, ever. 

In fact, once you have enough firewood stocked at the fishing hut, you can pretty much live in that, only returning to the radio hut when you need to make new hooks, line or clothing.

Or better than that:

Hide contents

if the bunker spawns by the pond, you can sleep in there during adverse weather.

You only need to make occasional trips into the valley to collect cloth and scrap metal, so it can get fairly sedentary and repetitive, but it's very, very cushy.

But having said all that, I still feel most at home in the Camp Office. Probably always will.

I got lucky in my latest long-running Stalker game, and that bunker by the pond spawned.  I wish the bunker interior didn't feel so damp and dreary, because that location is so ideal it effectively ends the game.  Bunny spawn at your front door, fishing hut ten seconds past bunniton, tons of storage, nearby deer spawn, tons of firewood, wolf patrols are around but they never come up your home hill.  There is an easy-to-find safe passage to the farmhouse for when you need a workbench, which passes a bear spawn that's easy to find but not close enough to be dangerous.  And the path to the Carter cave system for excursions to ML is pretty clear too. 

I'm prepared to call that bunker the best technical, though least aesthetic, base in the game - IF it spawns.

There are really only two to three spots I'd consider later game to make home.  My stalker game is at 165+ days and my interloper game is at 145 that I'm working on and will get to 200 before the next patch for achieve.

Two of them are in CH, first one at the garage of course (everything is right around you, just have to deal with wolves).  Second is jackrabbit island with the fishing huts + deer as your primary sources of food and you have a workbench not too far from you if you need it in a bind for simple things such as hooks at the fishing cabin on the waters edge.

The other spot is at Mystery Lake with the Camp Office.  Lots of nice fishing huts by you with cabins on the lake, nice spawns of wolves and deer.

My current setup is I have 2 hammers on interloper save, one being at a fishing hut as close to the garage as I can get with a tool kit in the hut for repairs.  My other hammer is at the far back fishing hut in ML by the camp office (the fishing hut that's right next to the bear spawn).   Typically I'm 80-90% of my lodging time is spent in CH though.  I just love that Desolation is just the next zone over and not a far walk at all.

Not much love for PV here. The homestead for me, 380 days in. The weather can be tough, but fishing is a short, wolf-less river walk away, deer, rabbits and bear right outside, loads of sticks, car for outdoor sleeping, shelter for outdoor cooking, mending, workbench in the basement, not far from the winding river access mine for coal and clear routes to all of this with no predators. Far from a forge, true.

My longest run for sure was spent at the Mountaineers Hut on Timberwolf mountain but the cushiest for sure is my Trappers Cabin run with the bear spawn at Maxs Last Stand and all the deer, rabbits have so much meat piled up outside I don't need to hunt for weeks. Second longest run I've have going staying at Jackrabbit Island on Coastal Highway but don't like the work benches on that map especially the one by the fishing huts as the bear is always hanging out there. 

I'd say the next shelter I've spent the most time in, was the farmhouse on pleasant Valley. with a good rifle and careful snare placement, I was really living the hunter/trapper lifestyle. stayed out there for about 50 days living off of deer, rabbit and cat tail from the nearby woods. that child's room still freaks me out though. bad vibes from that room.

I have tried the garage on ch before, but could not stand the wolves in the area. one day I got pissed after a wolf chased me back inside, grabbed my hatchet from inside, ran back out and slaughtered every single one of them in the town. made me a nice coat when the hides cured, but they were right back in the town within days..

Typically I split my time between the mountaineer hut and the gas station as I work my way across the maps looting, but lately I have been utilizing the hatch in PV as a long term base.  The surrounding area lends itself well to surviving there with a hunting blind nearby and copse of trees that provide an ample supply of firewood.  The only downside is lighting that place up.  Good thing there's a good fishing shack just a short climb and few hours hiking away so you make more lamp oil.:)

Archived