ultra slow encumbered walking

Every time that I exceed 55 kilo, my indoor walking speed is reduced to inches per minute as compared to the same weight when walking outdoors.  When I'm outside and my carry weight nears 55 kilo's, for example while gathering wood, after I pick up a stick, I might start off slow but after I hit crouch and then pop back up, I am able to walk at a near normal pace.  Once walking as long as I don't pick anything else up or stop for what ever reason, I am able to continue forward at a deliberate pace.  But as soon as I enter an interior cell, my walking speed drops to a snails pace.   Once inside, the drop to crouch and walk normal trick doesn't seem to help.  Is this a new wrinkle or what?  Not a deal killer, but annoying as heck!  Hate having to drop stuff just to have to pick it back up as I am putting stuff in storage and/or reorganizing my base camp.

32 minutes ago, Vulp said:

The crouch/walk trick is the bug here, not the speed at which you walk. 

In that case I will continue to exploit that bug!  Still interested in hearing from Hinterland support on this topic.  If memory serves, there was an issue similar to this a couple of years back.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, grimreefer24601 said:

If you're severely encumbered I've found walking down an incline also speeds you up, and that increase remains thereafter until you stop moving.

Yes, i have experienced that as well.  Especially when encumbered and moving thru the mines from one map to another.  

Indoor move speed is always slower than outdoor move speed.  Maybe to make the space seem bigger?  Try it in a cave.  As you go toward the back, you will suddenly slow down.  That's the cue you can now properly cure hides on the floor and enjoy a warmth bonus.

@selfless, did not know that about the indoor walking mechanics.  probably explains why when indoors the crouch walk pop up trick doesn't work.  Didn't know that about the caves either. I assume we are talking about the caves with out loading screens, right?  That must be why the dead guy is always at the mouth of the cave...  he didn't know about the warmth bonus either!

• 2 months later...

I have a similar issue to this. Have always had it, but it's the same inside or outside. I tend to travel pretty encumbered. When I start moving, it might be crawling speed. Then I seem to hit a spot where it starts going a little faster and as long as I keep moving, I can maintain that speed. If I stop for anything, it starts with the slow crawl again. Is this intentional? Doesn't necessarily have to do with wind or hills. It can be walking in a straight line on a flat surface. Happens inside or outside. You might think pavement vs. snow might change it, but it doesn't. I could start the crawl on pavement, then after a little bit, it JUMPS to a higher rate of speed, and that can even happen in the snow. 

Was going to start a new thread, but it seems this might be the same bug (found from a search).

I see a similar topic was mentioned here: 

Note that I do NOT have to crouch and stand up for this to happen. It just happens. Start very very slow, then it BUMPS up to speed after a certain distance usually.

Archived