The Hunted: Great Bear Island Tour

Timber Wolf

8 hours ago, Pillock said:

Is the train wreck safe? I've been mauled by the resident bear while inside the truck several times before.

I have been to FM with him once before, shortly after the map was added and it was safe.  Gotta be careful when you're right by the door, though.

Remember that you can use the hunting blinds as temporary safe spots, though.

Good point!

Great read, by the way!

Thanks!  I'm glad you're liking it.  It's been fun cruising around with him and writing about it. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 22 – Nice looking morning, so I’ll make a run down the tracks.  OB is blocking the path, so it’s back inside.  A little later I go out and he is now on the lake, so I bolt for the tracks.  He does not give chase and I continue down the tracks until about half way to the train cars.  I drop all of the venison, along with some other odds and ends.  I’ll take what I need on my way back through.  I return to the Camp Office and find the guts from the Ravine deer carcass have cured.  I make lines with them and then tackle with the hooks I already made.  Then I repair my toque, mittens and long underwear which leaves all of my clothes above 80%, most 90% or better. 

I’ve thought about it several times and just can’t come up with a route I like for FM, so I’ve decided to just wing it.  I don’t know the map all that well either, so it should be interesting.  I have decided to go for the train wreck first, though.  It’s the closest safe place once on the map and I’ll figure it out from there.

With 6 hours of daylight I leave the office.  Snow is falling peacefully, and I walk out toward the tracks.  I wait and listen, and think I hear the sounds of OB.  This doesn’t feel like the right time to go, so I head back in for an hour.  I don’t have to go back out, because there is now ???? hours of daylight left and I can hear the wind is really whipping.  I don’t have anything to do, so I pass some time and then sleep, pass some more time, sleep a little more and then…

Day 23 – It’s a clear morning and OB is not showing himself.  I walk close to the tracks and see a deer nearby.  This feels right, so I drive the deer toward the FM entrance, so that if there are any wolves I will have a decoy.  I also keep off to the left of the tracks and up against the very steep hill.  This way, I only have to scan 180 degrees, instead of 360.  I never see OB or any wolves, it’s almost kind of spooky.

When I enter the FM I can immediately hear the birds going at it, OB is close.  I slowly work my way out to where I can see to my left and right.  The coast is clear, but I can now hear his grumble mumbles.  I decide to make a run for it and as I pass into the wide open area, I hear OB like he’s right on top of me.  I spin all around, ready to fire, but I can’t see him.  I run for a bit and then spin around and walk backwards, and repeat.  I don’t see him anywhere, he must have gotten tangled up in something.

I’m happy to make it to the wreck without incident and loot the area.  Then I pick up a bunch of sticks, harvest some scrub bushes and chop up a big cedar limb.  Finally I see OB off in the distance.
tour_fm_1.jpg

I bring the wood into the train car and come back out and continue to get all the wood I can find.  I bring that back in and get the car organized for a brief stay.  The fog has rolled in and when I go out to look for OB, I see a whole bunch of things that kind of look like him.  Fog and lots of stumps make for a nerve-racking environment. 
tour_fm_2.jpg

I sleep for several hours until I am fully rested.  I awake to find the fog has lifted and it’s a beautiful night.  I decide to go sit up in the fallen tree between two train cars.  It’s a bummer you can’t go out further, but it’s kind of nice to nestle into it.  I see OB is not far off, so I go down to the ground and point the flare gun at him to get his attention.  He starts running at me and I return to the tree and notice when I get almost as far out as I can, he stops running.  This is another invisible spot as it turns out.  I spend the next hour or so experimenting with the situation, twice falling from the tree and having to run like wildfire to get safely back into the train car. 

Once I have a handle for how he will react and where he will run, I find a sweet spot on the fallen tree.  I am just out of his reach and he runs at me and straight into one of the train cars.  He is running in place, so here’s my opportunity.  @AZHockeyNut This one’s for you!

tour_fm_4.jpg
tour_fm_5.jpg
tour_fm_6.jpg
tour_fm_7.jpg
tour_fm_8.jpg
tour_fm_8b.jpg

After the flare gun shell stops burning he runs off into the night.  I spend the next couple of hours scanning the horizon, but don’t see him.  I go inside the train car for a bit and come back out as the sun is rising.  There he is, looking no worse for wear.
tour_fm_9.jpg

Day 24 – In the train car, I start a fire and make a bunch of water, which I drop in a corner.  There’s a good chance I will come past here before I leave, so much is left behind.  I see OB way off in the distance in the direction of the exit.  I feel frisky and make a run for it down the tracks in the other direction.  When I run out of breath I swing around and don’t see anything.  I am able to quickly make my way to the bottom of the river from the falls.  It is at this time I realize I haven’t seen a single wolf, or a deer, or a rabbit!  Just me and OB. 

I head up to the falls and go over to the tower, but don’t find anything useful.  I head back by the falls and wiggle my way on to the Marsh Ridge.  OB cannot get me here, unless I stop playing and reload the game.  I think it would be nice to have some “me time” and I see a perfect spot for a snow shelter in the cave.  So, I go around and gather some sticks and set a rabbit snare I found at the cave.  Then I harvest the bedroll I found in the cave and make a snow shelter toward the back and facing the back.  A blizzard has started, so I make a fire and get in the shelter. 
tour_fm_10.jpg

I sleep for 2 hours and the blizzard has subsided.  I get out of the shelter and walk out of the cave to find it is pretty warm.  I go back into the shelter and feel it should be safe to sleep for 6 hours.  As I watch the hours go by, frostbite pops up and then again!  When I wake up I immediately check my clothing and find my socks and boots are completely frozen.  I have sustained 2 permanent hits to my overall condition! 
tour_fm_13.jpg
tour_fm_12.jpg

My enormous oversight has just made this venture much more difficult.  I am absolutely stunned I have let this happen.  I’m not ready to think about the full ramifications yet, so I decide to stop playing.

It took me only about 10 seconds after that to realize I had just made things much worse again!  Now when I start playing again, OB will be up on the Marsh Ridge with me.  Oh boy, I’ve really gotten myself into a pickle.

53 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

Great screen shots! Pretty jealous of some of the things you do - Interloper usually doesn't give you the time.

Thanks!  That's why I have struggled to embrace Interloper, it's just too restrictive for how I like to play.  I mean, this is a sandbox. :D

2 hours ago, mystifeid said:

For all it's failings that mod still gives me a chuckle now and then

I've been getting a real kick out of it.  Every single time I see these ones I laugh!

Accelerant = Start ya bastard!

Can't add more wood to fire = Rip roaring already mate

Back to game = Back to horrors

If you have already read this far, apologies for spoiling some of OB's behavior without offering a warning.  I added a warning to the top.  For anyone thinking about giving this a try themselves, be aware more spoilers are to come.

Day 25 – Okay, capped at 80% condition.  Let’s go.   First order of business is getting to the interior cave to get completely dried out and also safe from OB.  I quickly take off my frozen boots and socks, pull out the flare gun and start running for the cave.  I immediately hear OB has taken notice of me and I continue on as fast as I can.  I hear him running behind me and he is growling and is very close, but I win the foot race and make it safely inside.

I walk through the cave to the other entrance and pickup sticks and coal, then turn around and go back.  I make a fire near to where I entered, to dry out the boots and socks and then sleep for a few hours.  When I get up, I am ready to run out and leave the Marsh Ridge the same way I came in.  I’m hoping to ditch OB and leave him behind on the ridge.  As I make my way down Hat Creek, I see the tactic has worked and I am not being followed.  There are only 3 hours of daylight left, so I head to the Spencer Homestead and directly as possible.  When I am out in the middle of the marsh, the wind and snow begin to increase.  Just then a wolf takes notice of me and I pop a flare and scare it off. Not 10 seconds later the wolf returns and I scare it off again, must be a slow learner.  As I approach the homestead, the weather has turned to a full on blizzard. 
tour_fm_15.jpg

I get inside and loot the place, then sleep for 2 hours.  I also am careful to check the wetness of my clothes before going to sleep!  When I wake up another blizzard has started, so I make a fire in the furnace and sleep for 6 more hours.

Day 26 – OB still isn’t around, so I take advantage and gather cattails, wood, OMB and other odds and ends from the area.  I sprint frequently and use up energy, so I lay down for a nap.  Upon waking, the fog has rolled in thick.  I can hear OB, but can’t even tell which direction he is coming from.  I’m really not liking the FM right now and mostly just feel like getting out of here.  Since I can’t figure out where OB is, I spend the day safely inside the homestead repairing clothes and preparing to leave this place.

The fog remains thick throughout the day, only dissipating a little as the sun sets.  So, I spent the day listening to OB and one or two deer running around, but never saw any of them.

Day 27 – I repair my work boots to begin the day, then sleep for an hour to get back to full power.  Or at least, as full of power as I can now get.  Several times I have found myself thinking, how did I get down to 70 something percent so quickly?!  Oh right, the frostbite thing. 

I get the feeling OB won’t be out in the marsh, but rather somewhere on the land.  So, I’m going straight out across heading for the wreck, where I left some things behind.  If I’m lucky, I won’t see OB at all and might even be able to get to ML before seeing him again.  If I’m unlucky, I might have to spend some flare gun shells.

I can hear him off in the distance, but take off anyway.  It’s foggy, but it could be worse.  I am almost immediately proven wrong, as I spot him out on the ice. 
tour_fm_16.jpg

He spots me, so I retreat to the homestead.  I’m anxious and just want to go, so I pass an hour of time and then sleep for an hour.  The weather has cleared up and I still want to make a break for it.  Then I realize there is a better way to make my getaway and I wait for him to walk right past the building and I take aim.
tour_fm_17.jpg
tour_fm_18.jpg
tour_fm_19.jpg

He runs off into the marsh while I stay on land and move around the perimeter of the map.  I frequently scan for him, but don’t see him again.  I slither past a wolf, then another, then a third.  I start heading more in the direction of the wreck and get stuck surrounded by weak ice and am forced to backtrack.  This brings frostbite to mind and I check my clothes.  Sure enough, socks and boots wet and now freezing.  I take them off and put on my spare socks.  I still make it to the train cars without incident.  I make a fire and set my freezing clothes beside it.  Then I lay down for an hour nap.  The weather is nice, but a bit windy and there is only 2 hours of daylight left.  I walk out and scan the horizon while I consider my options. 

Without further delay, I fill my backpack and head down the tracks toward ML.  Within seconds the wind seems to figure out which direction I am headed and blows in my face until I leave FM.  I take one look back and happily say goodbye.
tour_fm_20.jpg

When I enter ML, I immediately spot OB down the tracks. 
tour_fm_21.jpg

He doesn’t charge, so I slowly move down the path that leads to the Trapper’s Cabin.  He still does not give chase, so I make a run for it.  When I can’t sprint any longer, I spin around but don’t see him.  I am happy to avoid the conflict and continue on my way.  As I come over the hill, I see a very inviting scene.
tour_fm_22.jpg

Too bad I can’t go inside the cabin.  Well, I could, but then this would be over.  Instead I’ll spend the night in the nearby shed.  Just as I crouch to move inside the most sheltered area, a wolf welcomes me to the neighborhood.  I watch it patrol the area for the next hour or so.  Eventually it leaves and I sleep for 2 hours.  Then I sleep for 2 more hours, then 1 hour, then 1 more hour – keeping a close eye on the temperature. 

When it gets too cold to sleep without fire, I light a fire.  Then I sleep for 3 more hours until fully rested.

Day 28 – OB is still nowhere to be found.  Whenever he goes absent, I make the most of it.  So, I head to the Forestry Lookout, enjoying a beautiful, sunny and bear-free day in ML.  I see several deer along the way and wish I had a bow or rifle.  I see a couple of wolves and think the same thing.  I make it to the lookout and feel I can finally relax a little.  I have never been here before with OB and am not sure how it’s going to work up here.  Time to do some investigating.

There is a rope in the lookout, so I go down and deploy it.  I take a look off the edge, but see nothing.  I move to another ledge and take a look.  I start to wonder if he can even make it up here, so I go down the path a little ways and then all of a sudden the birds go crazy and I can hear him.  I’m surprised, so I retreat to the stairs of the lookout.  Then to my complete disbelief, I see him right next to the rope!  How the heck did he pull that off?!  Did he just climb the rope?!
tour_ml_8.jpg

Always nice to see he still has a few new tricks up his sleeve.  I go down to the bottom of the stairs to tell him how surprised and amazed I am, which gets him all excited and he runs to give me a high five.  I’d rather not and back up the stairs, and then see him do something I have only seen once before.  He gets completely stuck in his panic mode and bounces around like a pinball!
tour_ml_10.jpg
tour_ml_9.jpg

I’m laughing so hard I can barely control myself.  He is moaning, groaning, growling and grumbling – and cannot stop running around.  It is absolutely hilarious! 

When I get hold of myself, I start to wonder just how stuck he is.  It appears he isn’t able to run for a long enough distance or period of time before encountering a boundary, which keeps him stuck in panic mode.  I think I’m actually safe to go walk around and he won’t stop what he’s doing, so I step down to the ground.  He just keeps bouncing around, so I walk right out in the middle of it.  He has lost his mind!
tour_ml_11.jpg
tour_ml_12.jpg

This gives me the rare opportunity to run around and chase him!
tour_ml_13.jpg

After I have completely exhausted myself, I head up the lookout where I hang out for the rest of the day.  I see OB dancing in my dreams tonight..

Day 29 – I wake up to a blizzard, so I sharpen my hatchet.  I climb the walls while the blizzard continues into the day.  With 6 hours of daylight left, I move out.  Moving quickly, I go across Frozen Creek and just down the hill is a wolf.  I run back a little, then pop a flare and start waving it.  The wolf does not care and comes right at me.  I fight it off while dropping to 46% condition and taking injuries.  I pick up the flare and then deal with my wounds. 

I continue on through a field of 4 deer and 3 rabbits, they all run about wildly.   I head toward an opening in the landscape and see the railroad tracks.  Then I see two wolves by the tracks and they see a spooked deer, one of the wolves kills it.  The other takes notice of me, so I am forced to run the other way to the office.  When I get inside I see my water is running low, so I make a fire and then some water.  I spend the rest of the day and night resting and sleeping. 

Day 30 – I am out the door early and see OB walking away from me on the ice. 
tour_ml_13b.jpg

I back up slowly and he doesn’t seem to care, so I back up some more.  Well, he’s off in his own little world, so I take off down the tracks.  I see 3 wolves patrolling the area where I had previously left some things.  I’m not in the mood for these guys to be in my way right now, so I pop a flare and walk straight into them.  I scare them off, one by one. 
tour_ml_15.jpg

And then scare all of them off again.  I pick up some of my supplies and continue on my way.  One of the wolves continues to follow me, so I drop a piece of venison.

It is easy going to the dam and I take a look around once inside, not finding much I need other than a ridiculous amount of pain killers.  I make my way down to the lower section and can’t think of a reason to stick around, so I head out the door. 

As I come down the path, a wolf on the ice spots me from farther away than I was expecting.  It charges at me immediately and I pop another flare, even though I am certain it will attack.  It runs right up to me and then gets scared and runs off.  I sprint down to the ice and around the bend hoping to get away from it.  But it again targets and comes right for me.  Once again it runs right up to me, only to then get scared away.  This wolf doesn’t know what it wants.

I get safely through the Winding River and enter the cave.  When I get to the PV side, I sleep for 4 hours.  Still fatigued, so I drink two cups of coffee and head out of the cave.  It’s foggy and I see OB below the little ridge I’m on.  So it’s back in to the cave.  I go in and out a few more times.  When I pop out next he is off to the left.  Feeling frisky, I point the flare gun at him and he immediately charges.  I have vastly underestimated how long it will take him to reach me and barely escape his grasp!
tour_pv_1.jpg

I see now this is a tricky spot.  I’m probably going to have to hit him with the flare gun in order to get out of here.  I’m too tired now to move forward and will have to spend the night in the cave.  I harvest an extra bedroll and repair a toque before sleeping for 8 hours until fully rested.  With some time to kill, I make a fire with a piece of fir.  Then repair some clothes, harvest some bandages, and make some OMB dressings. 

Day 31 - I eat, drink and sleep.  With 11 hours of daylight left and all bars full, I leave the cave.  No hesitation this time, I sprint down the path to the left.  It’s not long before he comes for me.  I fire a flare that lands just in front of his face, so he spins around and runs off. 
tour_pv_2.jpg

I spin around and run off and expect to see him again soon.  After sprinting for a while, I spin around ready to fire again, but he is not following.  I think I’ve gotten away clean and should be good until I reach my destination, which is Signal Hill. 

When the path opens up, I start taking a shortcut uphill.  Out of the corner of my eye, I see something moving and for a split second think its OB.  Just a rabbit this time.  It looked bigger as I was coming up the hill toward it.  Breathing relief I let my guard down and a wolf barks and comes at me.  I am able to get a flare lit before it gets to me, but it attacks anyway. 
tour_pv_3.jpg

I pound on it as hard and fast as I can and don’t lose much condition.  I sprint off toward Signal Hill and am happy when I arrive.  As I walk around to the hole in the fence, I realize I haven’t been here before with OB.  I don’t think he will come through that hole.  I’m also wondering if he will show up inside the fenced area.  I wonder if that happens, can I run out and trap him inside?

In the Radio Control Hut I find the usual treasure trove of items - most notably insulated boots and a fire striker.  After a quick inventory check, it’s time to go outside and see what’s what.  I can hear the birds squawking and draw the flare gun to see if I can get his attention.  Something is not right, there’s no clicking sound when I point the gun.  I had forgotten to reload it after firing on OB!  That could have been costly.

I go in and out of the hut, but he never shows up anywhere nearby.  So, I am left to patiently wait for him to make his way up here.  Eventually he arrives and I watch him slowly walk around the fence toward the opening.  I stand a few feet back and point the flare gun, which provokes him to charge.  I overreact and fire unnecessarily, which spooks him.  He runs around frantically and appears to get stuck in a loop that brings him just beyond the opening in the fence and then he spins around.
tour_pv_6.jpg
tour_pv_5.jpg

I watched him follow the same route 3 or 4 times and then decide to go out and see if he will stay in the loop.  My walking out seems to set him free and he runs away.  I go back inside the fence and wait for his return.  This time he comes around the other side.  And this time when he is near to the opening, I am careless and take it too far, which leads to...
tour_pv_7.jpg
tour_pv_8.jpg
tour_pv_9b.jpg
tour_pv_9.jpg
tour_pv_10.jpg

When it is all over, I am surprised to see I still have 20% condition left.  I thought he would do a better job.  Back into the hut to lick my wounds and sleep for a few hours.  I go back outside and see no sign of OB, only my blood all over the ground.
tour_pv_11.jpg

Day 32 – A long blizzard keeps my inside for the day, so I harvest cloth from the clothes I don’t like to repair the ones I do. 

Day 33 – I spend the first part of the day finishing up my clothing repairs, followed by jumping in and out of the hut to see if I can get him to show up inside the fence.  It doesn’t happen and I become bored, so I decide to move on.  Next stop is the Three Strikes Farmstead.  There is a pleasant snowfall and I take a shortcut down which points me toward the Farmhouse.  I cut across the open field that is completely devoid of animal life.  I pick up the snow road and stop by the shed to check the dead guy and container, but find nothing useful. 

I continue down the snow road and turn off to the homestead.  I check my clothes and see they are getting pretty wet and I’m getting cold, so it's time to layer up.  I arrive at the homestead wondering how long it's been since I was last here.
tour_pv_12.jpg

I quickly go around and pick up sticks and then chop up a cedar limb.  When I’m finished, a blizzard has set in, so I make a fire in the fire barrel to warm up.  I sleep for 2 hours, then 2 more hours.  The blizzard continues, so I add more wood to the fire and sleep for 2 hours and then 2 hours more.  With 4 hours of darkness left, the blizzard has finally left and a peaceful snowfall has taken its place.
tour_pv_13.jpg

I stroll around and spook the deer, which makes it hard to listen for OB.  I’m less comfortable in this place than I thought I would be.  I harvest the venison and guts from the deer carcass, cook the meat, then go back into the shed.  It’s not long before I see him in the distance trucking my way.
tour_pv_14.jpg

I want to find out if he will come through the opening of the shed but if he does, hitting him with the flare gun won’t matter.  I’m not sure what to do and he is growling and coming in closer.  I don’t take the chance and fire the flare gun, he runs off.  I make another fire on the ground, partially blocking access to my area.  I’m not sure if it will do any good, but it makes me feel a little better.
tour_pv_15.jpg

Day 34 - I sleep for a couple of hours and with no sign of OB I head up the steep path.  This route proves safe and I fuel my furious pace with cups of coffee.  I get to the Draft Dodger’s Cabin and then climb both of the ropes with the aid of more coffee.  I see a wolf near where this all began and quickly head in the other direction.
tour_pv_16.jpg

Nearing the Point of Disagreement, I start to get excited - soon I will be home.  I search all of the vehicles and then move to the Abandoned Cache.  I collect everything, sleep for 4 hours, then pop out and climb up the rope.  I look down to see OB. 
tour_pv_17.jpg

I used to think I was completely safe in this spot, but after what happened back at the Forestry Lookout, I’m not so sure any more.  In any case, I continue on to TWM.

OB is standing right in the middle of the path, so I go back to PV.  When I try it again I can hear him, but don’t see him, so I run down the path.  Those are really the only two ways it can go when entering TWM.   I am so happy to finally be in TWM.  As I reach the top of the hill, I smile as I see my favorite place in all the game.  Home sweet home.
tour_pv_18.jpg
tour_pv_19.jpg

I make a round and pick up sticks, then spin out to the fishing hut to find a whole bunch of nothing.  I head into the Mountaineer’s Hut and bundle up for the night.

Day 35 – I spend the first part of the day organizing all of my stuff.  Along with 6 fishing tackle, 12 hooks and a firestriker, here's where I stand.
tour_pv_20.jpg
tour_pv_23.jpg
tour_pv_21.jpg
tour_pv_22.jpg

I spend the rest of the day harvesting the cattails around half of the lake and chopping firewood. 

I fall asleep thinking about the final destination of this tour - The Summit.

Day 36 – I am up early and am very thirsty, so I make a fire and then some water.  I don’t really have any food other than cattails and decide to get some meat.  I can see OB off in the distance, but he seems to be doing his own thing. 
tour_twm_1.jpg

I spend the next couple of hours trying to steer a deer toward a wolf on the lake and eventually get the two together. 
tour_twm_2.jpg

I walk close to the wolf to get its attention and then run into the fishing hut.  With 4 hours of daylight left, I return to the deer carcass and harvest everything.  Then in the Mountaineer’s Hut, I make a fire and cook all of the venison.  I eat and drink my fill, then go to sleep.

Day 37 – I awake to a blizzard, so I start another fire and make some water and 10 cups of coffee which will be used for the trip to the top of the mountain.  I can’t think of anything else I really need, so I spend the rest of the day play dock ditch with OB.
tour_twm_4.jpg
tour_twm_5.jpg
tour_twm_6.jpg

He only comes after me once, then he stops playing.  I try it twice more, but he keeps giving up and doesn’t seem to have his heart in it.  Maybe he’s getting tired of following me around.  Too bad for him, because I will head for the Summit tomorrow.

Day 38 – The Mountaineer’s Hut is the best place to play with OB.  You can see and hear him without having to leave the building.  There are deer on the lake that are easy to drive into the wolves, plus there’s fishing.  Sticks are plentiful in the immediate area and there are loads of cattails.  It’s great, but it is really the only safe place on the entire map.

As such, I will make my way to the top as quickly as I can.  There is only one tricky spot where I will have to find a way around him.  The first part of the trek is past the Wing, up the rope to the Deer Clearing and then up the rope to the Secluded Shelf. 

I follow through with ease and encounter no trouble at all.  I go through the cave and when I come out the other side downs goes 3 more cups of coffee.  This is the part that can be a little tough.  OB will always show up somewhere on this ridge.  If you are lucky, he will be off to one side or up on a rock and not paying attention, in which case you can run down the path and easily get past.

Most times, however, he will be in the middle of the path around the bend.  In other words, right in the way.  That’s how it turns out this time. 
tour_twm_7.jpg

I am able to get near the cave by the bend without him taking notice.  I crouch-walk off to the left side and around a fallen tree.  By the time I get around the tree and start heading toward the rope, he has turned around and gone in the other direction.
tour_twm_8.jpg

I get a little more distance between us and then stand and walk to the rope.  I have 2 more cups of coffee and then climb to the first resting spot.  Then I climb the rest of the way.  I pop a flare and try to drop it on OB.  He doesn’t care.
tour_twm_9.jpg
tour_twm_10.jpg

I head to the Tail Section and open all of the containers.  I don’t really need anything, but it is fun anyway.  I find 4 expedition parkas and 4 fire strikers - the most I have ever found of either of them up here.  I spend the rest of the day breaking down crates.  The Tour of Great Bear Island has come to an end.  Tomorrow there will be a final showdown.

Day 39 – This is the last day of the story.  Tonight there will be fireworks.  I will hit him with the flare gun as many times as I can.  And when I am out of ammo, I’ll let nature take its course.

I spend the day making fires in the Tail Section and playing around with OB.  With the day winding down, I go to sleep to be fully rested for the night’s activities.

Similar to the loop he got stuck in at the Forestry Lookout, he will do the same here around the plane.  Once I get him to freak out, he will run in and out of the plane a few times before snapping out of it.  So, I go outside and get his attention and he charges.  I duck back into the plane and crouch in the corner with the flare gun ready.  When he runs in and turns around I nail him.
tour_twm_11.jpg
tour_twm_12.jpg
tour_twm_13.jpg
tour_twm_14.jpg
tour_twm_15.jpg
tour_twm_15b.jpg

As he comes back my way I take aim and bounce one off him as he goes by.
tour_twm_16.jpg

I move up the hill for a better view.
tour_twm_16b.jpg

Then retreat into the plane, crouch and take aim.  I hit him after he comes in and spins around.
tour_twm_17.jpg
tour_twm_18.jpg

As he passes by, I fire again.
tour_twm_18b.jpg
tour_twm_19.jpg

That shot goes just over him and I go back into the plane.  This time I fire early and miss.
tour_twm_17a.jpg

The next time he comes by I fire late and miss.
tour_twm_20.jpg

He runs out and away from the plane.  I can’t really hear his groans, so I head out to find him.  I run up high to get a better view, but can’t see him anywhere.  I start heading toward the rope and finally hear him.  It sounds like he is still running.  I get near to the cave and his sounds are louder, so I backup and get ready to fire.  He doesn’t come, so I slowly make my way to the cave.

He is very loud now, but where is he?  Finally I see him, stuck running into the rocks next to the opening of the cave.  I fire at him.  And fire again, with the last flare gun shell.
tour_twm_21.jpg

The great beast is stuck here and won’t be killing me today.
tour_twm_22.jpg

Instead, OB goes out in a blaze of glory!

tour_twm_22b.jpg
tour_twm_23.jpg
tour_twm_24b.jpg
tour_twm_25.jpg

1 hour ago, mystifeid said:

Thanks for taking the time to document your experience. I wish more people would do the same.

I was happy to do it.  I thought it would be good to share, since it is a different kind of story. 

It definately gave me an appreciation for the effort that goes into it!  Now I'm even more impressed by @Drifter Man's amazing 1000 Days thread. 

• 2 months later...

Haha, I love how in video games the boss-enemy always knows exactly where you are, no matter how stealthy you are. Especially OB, lol, and it doesn't take him long to teleport over to you from another region either. He's like greased lightning XD I've never gone down that rope climb at the DP exit from the #3 mine because I never have a rope on me and forget about it. I've wanted to many times but you've got me wondering now why it's more dangerous than other rope climbs?

Anyway, so far so good!

Hoping my one line quote of yours works out. I'm still not sure if I'm doing it correctly. Edit: Nope it didn't, I still quoted all of your first 5 days plus the pics, lol. So if I want to post anything again, which I know I will lol, I'll not quote but explain where I am in the story. I've read the first part so far, the first 5 days.

On 2017-02-13 at 8:38 PM, Timber Wolf said:

Oh wait – when I was stuck in the fishing hut during the blizzard I used it!  Not pleased with myself at the moment.

I feel your pain brother. Been there, done that, hahaha. Just last night in my 'No Guns' game, I left TwM and got all the way to the Skeeter's Ridge basement (because I did not stop in at the abandoned cache) before I realized I left my lantern at Mountaineer's. .I'm thinking "Why, why why why do I put lanterns down when all I have to do is start a fire for light?!"

Found one in the Farmstead anyway, in the last place I looked, on the far side on the fireplace mantel.

On 2017-02-14 at 6:01 PM, cekivi said:

If I remember correctly animals should not spawn during a blizzard but any animals already created (i.e. visible to the player) will remain for the duration of the storm.

Something I've always wondered because you can't always bet on their not being out in a blizzard. It would also explain why I didn't run into many wolves or bears during my 'Hopeless Rescue' run. I had constant blizzards all the way. One would finally stop for five minutes and another one would crop up. It was frustrating and really slowed my progress, but I finally became 'One' with it, lol.

Drives me crazy when I watch play-through's and they have sunshine, lollipops and rainbows everything, the whole way.

Archived