Additional vocalizations [POLL]

SteveP

Additional vocalizations by player  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think new vocalizations for hunting and killing are good to emphasize the caring of the player for his kills and to make obvious the inner conflict he/she may have with the taking of another creature's life.

Other situations: Fear, Anger, Happiness, Despair, Sadness, Loneliness, Hope, Wonder

Let's say the player attains a high vantage point and beholds a beautiful sunset; this should evoke a sense of wonder!

After getting Cabin Fever, the player should sound depressed, lonely, bored, sad.

When witnessing a death especially of another human, there should be anger or sadness.

When sighting a wolf or a bear, there could be vocalizations for fear or concern or panic depending upon the player's state of mind. Hunger and fatigue could tend to increase the sad vocalizations whereas hunger should make him/her happier when gaining food.

In short, increase the emotional responses of the player. Music also has this effect especially at night.

As the sandbox mode is now, The only point where I think new verbalizations would be appropriate would be to warn the player that they are not going to be able to finish a climb, and that cabin fever is close to becoming a possibility. I actually feel like especially early on in a play, the survivor complains of the cold far too often.

2 hours ago, Ape88 said:

As the sandbox mode is now, The only point where I think new verbalizations would be appropriate would be to warn the player that they are not going to be able to finish a climb, and that cabin fever is close to becoming a possibility. I actually feel like especially early on in a play, the survivor complains of the cold far too often.

There is also the fact that hearing the same things for hundreds of hours can make those sounds redundant, or even possibly annoying after a time. More vocalizations would help this for the dedicated players.

4 hours ago, Ape88 said:

I actually feel like especially early on in a play, the survivor complains of the cold far too often.

Mine never stops complaining. I too, would especially like some upbeat alternatives

The onset of any risks (or alternatively when risk reaches 50%) of afflictions, such as frostbite, and the onset of the afflictions themselves might also benefit.

And less pee drinking, please!

1 hour ago, mystifeid said:

Mine never stops complaining. I too, would especially like some upbeat alternatives

This just made me think...What about depending on your character's mental state, their vocalization changes? So when they are mentally 100%, they speak more positively, but when they are mentally not coping then they will speak more negatively? They already have negative comments when very injured or physically going terribly - which they could also extend on, especially depending on what ails your character. Is s/he in a lot of pain? They could certainly express this more, which we humans tend to do in real life when in a lot of pain.

2 minutes ago, Bjern said:

This just made me think...What about depending on your character's mental state, their vocalization changes? So when they are mentally 100%, they speak more positively, but when they are mentally not coping then they will speak more negatively? They already have negative comments when very injured or physically going terribly - which they could also extend on, especially depending on what ails your character. Is s/he in a lot of pain? They could certainly express this more, which we humans tend to do in real life when in a lot of pain.

This is not a bad idea but I think mine would never be coping too well mentally with what I put them through and would get into a negative feedback loop and again never stop complaining. Sometimes when we feel bad we can make ourselves feel better by forcing ourselves to be positive or even just looking on the bright side of things.

Btw, I would also like it if very very rarely, alternatives with some dry humour were used.

2 hours ago, mystifeid said:

, I would also like it if very very rarely, alternatives with some dry humour were used.

Sometimes this can happen accidentally in the game now.

For example, when you find your 15th can opener and the guy says in a voice laden with sarcasm, "This could come in really useful."

Or when you pick up a stick from the forest floor and he says, "I hope nobody needs this anymore."

In general though, I just think a bit more variety would help ease the feeling of constant whinging. Or perhaps a mechanic that tracks which expressions the character has used recently and doesn't repeat them for x amount of time. I tend to get into arguments with mine, especially when he says stuff like "I've never been so hungry in my life", when in fact he was in a much worse state of starvation earlier that very same day.

I like this thread a lot. I hate the "I think i'll take this" When I search a container. Sometimes I don't take things like cardboard matches for example making her sound dumb by saying so.

I tend to switch between the two characters to keep the sayings more fresh. The girl is way better in the talking/complaining department tho. "DAMN THIS COLD" where as the guy says "I don't think I can take much more of this" "I don't know how long I can handle" or something similar to that.

Love the idea of them having a mental state and say different thing depending on it. Also love the idea of them warning the player about exhaustion and infection and such. "Won't have to worry about water for a while" might mean that you are carrying more than enough ie: maybe .60lb of water.

Or a "Really?" when the player takes cardboard matches or eats nasty food. "Guess I'll eat anything If I have to".

Or the guy should sing a song while traveling around or crafting. Maybe whistling would be realistic to. You're alone, but that don't mean you can not talk or make some noises.

Maybe the character should complain about the outfit. Like that's not my style or dammit it's itching down there.

13 hours ago, Pillock said:

In general though, I just think a bit more variety would help ease the feeling of constant whinging. 

While i'm playing, my wife says that all she hears from the game is a guy whinging. Never occurred much to me until she said that. I agree with the idea that vocalisation changes based on your condition, It'll be a reward for getting good at the game, less moaning. 

Also weather affecting what your character might say...a clear sky during the day and no wind might make the character say "What a beautiful day!" for instance, or "I hope it stays warm..." when the temperature is at its warmest (not very warm, I know, but for the character it would be something they'd react to).

When your character is feeling 100% they could say things like "It's not so bad here..." or "I think I can survive this!". When they see a giant waterfall, or something else that's very impressive, they could comment on that too.

Encountering dead bodies, as well as animal carcasses, could trigger some vocalization too. "I wonder how long she has been here?" (when seeing a body), "What a smell!" could work for any dead thing.

There's a lot of potential here!

Maybe an option for stronger language? I know it's not good for the kiddies, but I am an avid fan of Stephen King, who uses profanity profusely, but has personally said that he only uses it because it is entirely appropriate for  certain situations. I'm not saying we need to have a chronic cusser on our hands, but if the time is right...

I also often find myself muttering curses under my breath at a wolf that's recently attacked me. Maybe your character could ad lib something like "Yeah, you better run!" when a wolf beats feet.

4 hours ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Maybe an option for stronger language? I know it's not good for the kiddies, but I am an avid fan of Stephen King, who uses profanity profusely, but has personally said that he only uses it because it is entirely appropriate for  certain situations. I'm not saying we need to have a chronic cusser on our hands, but if the time is right...

I also often find myself muttering curses under my breath at a wolf that's recently attacked me. Maybe your character could ad lib something like "Yeah, you better run!" when a wolf beats feet.

Only if it's optional, as not everyone would want this.

Yeah more positives....Lighting a fire after a few failures ="About damn time"

Headshot!

killing rabbit with a bow..... "Not as fast as you think there eh rabbit?"

Eating wolf meat or Bear.... "Not quite venison but I'll take it"

Eating some tasty venison... "Wish I had a beer to go with this fine steak, maybe some taters or a few veggies?"

Drinking water after melting snow and boiling it.... "why doesn't this feel as good as a cup of tea?"

Eating dog food.. "Woof"  ... ok seriously, "Yuck!"

After shooting and missing.... "Damn! or some other choice saying/word"

Entering and exiting areas like Hunter's blind "wonder if this is a useful place to hang out a while?" a car..."Wish this thing would turn over just once!!!"

Sunrise/sunset in scenic overlooks, "Doesn't get much prettier"

After a blizzard and the weather is calm...."great day for a hunt." "weather is clear, maybe I should explore some more" "looks like the storm knocked down some new limbs and twigs...could be time to gather extra wood easily"

Finally.... "How's my hair?"

;-)

Archived