Disappearing Rifle

ernestww

My rifle disappeared after a bear attack by the quonset hut on coastal highway. It wasn't on the ground anywhere or in inventory.  

The only notable thing I can think of was the right mouse button 'aiming rifle' was locked on during attack.  (My mouse is sticky).  I then promptly died after two wolf attacks as I attempted to retrieve a backup rifle. lol 

If it is of any help, I attached the output log.

Note: the rifle in my inventory at death is the backup that I did retrieve. 

output_log.txt

This happened to me as well. I was in Desolation Point, on the road near the Warehouse. Windows 10, via Steam.

I shot a bear twice and after it mauled me, I got up and looked around. I did not have the rifle equipped, it was no longer in my inventory, and I could not find it on the ground. 

Like ernestww, I may have been actively aiming at the time I was attacked. 

This happened quite some time ago, so my logs may not be useful. If you'd like them anyway just let me know. 

Dear developers, PLEASE fix the rifle bug!

supposingly it falls thru the textures during bear/wolf attacks, you can see your character goes under textures while bear having you, but this bug is one that really pisses you off - you can get another rifle most of the time, but ammo would be gone anyway.

and regarding the bears - one at coastal highway next to the fishery settlement proves to be way too tough - i emptied almost whole clip into it point blank distance with the rifle plus an arrow in 4!!! subsequently followed attack - an he didn`t even sneeze after:)))

We are aware of the rifle bug and is something we're investigating.

In regards to the bear - No specific bear is tougher then another bear, unless it's the bear from Hunted. It's dependent where you're hitting the bear and how, as there is a chance the hit can glance off the animal. Keep in mind the rifle sways and you can't always judge if the shot hit dead on or not. 

Hi,

This has happened with the wolf as well. After the first time that it happened, in the same game, I got two rifles, one armed and the other in inventory. Both weapons vanished after the attack. This was during the whiteout challenge. In the same game, the weapon was not taken, but I am sure it was taken in the coastal highway area on two occasions. fortunately I finished the challenge but it really pissed me off that half the ammo and your weapon is taken. I have also noticed that once the wolves reach a certain distance (which seems pretty far), they will not be deterred by the shooting of the weapon, and if you miss, they will continue the attack. I know your response would be to not miss, but I just purchased this for my Mac as I love the game. I am still getting use to the ballistics. I almost feel that I wasted my money as it is very irritating to get to a point where you feel somewhat secure about traveling around the maps and then the inevitable happens, your weapon vanishing and your stuck with 3-4 wolves roaming around with only flares to protect yourself.

Thanks

In my case the rifle is most likely to disappear on or near ice.  Other things are disappearing as well.  Basically, the usual stuff magnifying glasses, rosehips, bandages, etc.  I've put that info into the bug reports, hope it helps.

Same problem. Some items have disappeared after wolf attack.

The struggle took place on ice in the DP.  First I`ve tried to shoot the wolf, missed and then inevitably fought with hunting knife.

Rifle gone. Hunting knife gone. "Guns-guns-guns" magazine....also gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived