[QUESTION] How to Hunt Bears?

HomeroTLD

>I am at day 31 on interloper, my best playthrough so far.

>I made the knife, the hatchet and the arrows at the forge, also found the bedroll.

>decided to start my Bear hunting.

> the plan was "ok, im gonna shot him, run in to a trailer, wait 2 hours and he should be dead from bleeding."

> i fail.

> I shooted so many times at him that my archery skill leveled up. And he never died from bleeding.

> for some reason, the arrows never stay on him and he never bleeds to death. He starts to run and the arrow falls off. 

How i kill bears? I am doing something wrong? 

UPDATE: Waited 10 hours and the bear did not died. Also tried to shoot him again and i hitted 3 times. Everytime i hitted him i entered inside the trailer and waited 2 hours and nothing. In the last time, the Bear got me and i almost died. 3 pieces of my clothes got ruined (tuke,windbreaker, mittens) and i am now at 15% at my safe house. I will need at least a week to repair my clothes and condition. Bottom Line: DONT FUCK WITH A BEAR. 

Always good advice ;)

Entering a structure with a loading screen often causes the wildlife to reset (negating your shots). I've had this happen to me a few times while using the rifle to hunt a bear. The safest (and I've found most effective) way to hunt a bear is from one of the cars at the Quonset: get out of car, shoot bear, get back into car as bear charges, sleep/rest for 2-4 hours, find and harvest bear.

6 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Always good advice ;)

Entering a structure with a loading screen often causes the wildlife to reset (negating your shots). I've had this happen to me a few times while using the rifle to hunt a bear. The safest (and I've found most effective) way to hunt a bear is from one of the cars at the Quonset: get out of car, shoot bear, get back into car as bear charges, sleep/rest for 2-4 hours, find and harvest bear.

The fishing hut by the bear cave at Misanthrope's is a great spot too. You just have to draw the bear toward you and you can shoot it from inside the hut. Heating available and you can even try to keep an eye on where the bear runs off to die.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem with a bear in Desolation Point...but only there. I shot him (and hit him) three times in the face with the rifle and he was immune.

Maybe some bears are immortal?

The bear that spawns in Coastal Highway on the water is the easiest to kill, you can shoot him from the fishing hut and he can't get you. And he dies.

3 hours ago, stapeliad said:

I had this problem with a bear in Desolation Point...but only there. I shot him (and hit him) three times in the face with the rifle and he was immune.

Maybe some bears are immortal?

Nope, just lucky. The critical hit chance is low for bears. According the best source I could find (the long dark wiki) the critical chance (i.e. instant kill for a bear) is roughly 1 in 3 hits to the head.

Having only once killed a bear previously, which I only discovered when I died following the second bear attack (it showed up in the stats as 1 Bear Killed), I had given up on bear hunting.

In my latest playthrough, however, I had a bear prowling around the barn in Pleasant Valley. I used the farm tractor as a place to retreat into (very unsportsmanlike) to kill the bear.

A few days later (same playthrough), I managed to kill another bear by seemingly exploiting the AI pathing-- basically, I shot the bear from behind an uncrossable snowbank, but rather than charge me, or run around the bank, the bear freaked out and ran top-speed, side-to-side in a path in front of me, where I was able to plug him a few more times.

Sooo, now they're a coat (I meant to make a bedroll, but clicked the wrong thing. Dammit).

16 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

Even if you don't kill the bear instantly, if you hit him he will die from the wound after a while.

I have killed several bears but none instantly (yet)...that DP bear would. not. die. even if there was blood and I know i hit him.

On 1/9/2017 at 4:15 PM, cekivi said:

Always good advice ;)

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:15 PM, cekivi said:

Always good advice ;)

This is good to know. Thanks. I shot the bear at Fishing Camp on CH 4 times, jumped into the cabin, and he just wouldn't die.

Rocks that have alternate means of descent (but not ascent) are also good to shoot from. After hitting a bear it will charge up the rock toward you whereupon you should scramble down the alternate route to safety. The large rock outside the cave at Eric's Falls in TWM is a good example.

Rocks that have ledges that can only be accessed by jumping down onto them are very safe to shoot from. There is an example on the western side of the Wing Valley in TWM. Just need to build a fire and wait as the bear makes it's rounds.

The Poachers Camp in FM has a fallen tree/branch that gives access to the top of a railway carriage which again is a very safe vantage point.

Once I think I put something like 8 arrows into the DP bear before it had some effect and even then I couldn't find the carcass. However I have also killed it instantly with just one arrow.

dp_bear.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've run into a problem with arrows where the animal doesn't die even if you hit it.  If the arrow bounces seems to be a good indicator to try again.  But, I've also found that like deer (thanks Wasteland and Drifterman for the deer hint), shots into a rear haunch seem to be more effective.  Perhaps they have a higher hit probability?  Also gives you a few extra seconds to duck into a car.

Archived