Latest Update needs tuning

Smeden

On 1/3/2017 at 7:31 PM, starfighter441 said:

Something that has bugged me from the very start in this game is the weight of clothing.  Think about it, do you actually notice what you are wearing, in as far as it fits and is not binding, I certainly don't, this includes things slung from my hip on a belt such as a knife or a hatchet.

Other things in a well designed backpack also are not too hard to carry, let us not forget that an Infantryman in Afghanistan has been humping 35 or more Kilograms over and above his clothing and personal weaponry.

To add to Starfighter's post.

As a soldier in training, stationing and during operations our pack weight would vary.  The average fully kitted infantryman will be carrying 45-50lbs in  his pack, in most USASOC commands it's actually 55lbs.  That's not counting his LBE(Load Bearing Equipment, those straps and belts that hold their equipment), which would hold roughly another 10-15lbs(Wound Dressing, Canteen assembly, Ammunition(usually 6-8 magazines weighing a little over 1 pound each), Gas Mask(1.25lb), Bayonet(1.25lb), Grenades(1 smoke, 2 frag roughly 1lb each), Flashlight and other items as determined by the mission/soldier.  Now let's not forget the rifle, standard M4 fully loaded 7.5lbs. Helmet 3lbs.  So right there you have roughly 31-34kg of weight and that's not including any worn clothing at all.  These soldiers can march all day, run for short periods and perform a number of tasks with this weight.

"But wait, you're talking about soldiers, who went through training and have been doing this for awhile...".

The Protagonist in this game is a CANADIAN BUSH PILOT.  This guy better know what he's doing in this environment and be used to this kind of load and workout or he's living in the wrong place and doing the wrong line of work.

33 minutes ago, Smeden said:

The Protagonist in this game is a CANADIAN BUSH PILOT.  This guy better know what he's doing in this environment and be used to this kind of load and workout or he's living in the wrong place and doing the wrong line of work.

Yes, which is why he flies instead of hikes ;)

I agree though that it would be nice to have worn clothing counted differently from the carry weight. It would address a lot of gripes about the new system and the overall carry weight in general being too high/low for certain people's tastes.

Previously, I found the weight restriction to be a system I had to carefully manage, and it worked for me. The new huge weight of clothes makes it pretty tough, but maybe I've just been greedy with what I wear. I haven't yet had much chance to play with protection and wetness, but they seem like a solid addition. 
I'd love to see a better backpack added, and have that add 5Kg to your carry weight, as a better pack can make it a lot easier to carry the same amount of stuff. Or, as many people have pointed out, the ability to make a sled. It would slow you down a fair bit, but you could make a big trip to move a bunch of your gear across half a zone. Or it could be a good option when going out on a hunting trip... 

Speaking of hunting trip, would it be possible to transport a carcuss inside for butchering? Maybe not a bear but all other animals could be carried fairly easily. Half the time I need to light a fire while skinning a beast so my character doesn't freeze.

7 minutes ago, Goggs said:

Speaking of hunting trip, would it be possible to transport a carcuss inside for butchering? Maybe not a bear but all other animals could be carried fairly easily. Half the time I need to light a fire while skinning a beast so my character doesn't freeze.

It's been requested a few times (especially for rabbits) but no official word yet on whether "advanced carcass handling" will be added to the roadmap.

I guess for me, the biggest issue with clothing is the durability!!  Seems like all my clothes were made in China, because the condition of a lot of my clothes seems to drop almost 5 to 10% per day!!!

Seems like all I'm doing is repairing clothing!!  It is very annoying!  Clothes should not have to be repaired this often!!  Even on Interloper!

I'm thinking 1% per day max clothing deterioration!!

Just my 2 bits worth!

hey i am in this game since the last update and i could not stop playing it since then, its a really amazing artwork and even in sandbox a very rewarding game.

but i totally agree with @smeden, the inventory managment takes way too much time and kills a lot of the fun  of the game.

currently i am in desolation point and try to gather some tools and coal to make arrowheads but when i do i must always leave something essential back because of weight limits..

i think recalculating some weights of some items would make a lot of players very happy.

i am totally struggling with my "standard-to go on a trip-gear". and its a bad feeling when you leave your cabin knowing you cant pick up a bloody stick anymore..

i think the weight limit is ok how it is but some items are way too heavy in my opinion, especially worn clothing and shoes.

edit: maybe a better backpack for one to find would be a thing? maybe one could seperate carry weight for the backpack and carry weight for the body/clothing.. or clothing is weightless if you wear it (but still with % sprint penality)  and gets weight if you store it in your backpack or it gets wet...

i mean its a difference if i carry 2 kg on my back or if my shoes weight 2 kg, when i wear them it feels not that heavy at all.  

edit II: i also noticed that wood matches do weight a lot, 24 matches weight 0.2 kg, 200 gr? this is a bit much in my opinion and i think there are a lot of small things that stack.. 

On 9 January 2017 at 9:43 PM, Pillock said:

The clothing weights are abstracted /exaggerated in order to give more value to decisions and trade offs in different conditions. I get that, and I'm OK with suspending realism for that reason (there's plenty of other things that you have to do that for anyway).

But I do think it would all make more sense if worn clothing weight was somehow separated from carried back pack weight. As it is, you think you're carrying a 30kg pack, when you're only really carrying 10 or 15kg, because of the clothing your wearing. I think this would help connect the player more with the inventory system so you could judge things more easily and make the information clearer. 

Agree totally

Separating clothes from inventory would be the easy fix. Wearing something should not be the same as carrying it

Calculate how much the clothes would weigh you down (which is less than the weight if all carried in a back pack) and add that to the inventory weight

Perhaps the worn weight is a percentage of the carried weight like 70% or maybe more sophisticated

Say a full outfit worn is equivalent to 10 kg carried, then you should be allowed carry 20kg of tools, hides, meats etc in your actual pack before hitting encumbrance

This would also add to gameplay decisions, by making non-worn / excess clothes more costly to lug around.

Carrying those extra clothes just so you can swap in and out on demand depending on the weather (wetness vs warmth vs windchill vs protection) would no long be viable

Realism and gameplay aren't mutually exclusive.  Also, pretending every complaint against the gameplay aspects of clothing weight is a realism vs. gameplay fight is disingenuous.

Reality also pokes lots of holes in the "soldiers carry tons of weight around" argument.  Aside from the various logistics issues, there are also (lots of) soldiers with chronic back problems.  Maybe back injury could be the next affliction the game adds, you could get it fighting fluffy or from being encumbered.

The sprint reduction stat on clothing should be removed.  It is redundant with item weight and doesn't add anything meaningful.

Archived