Too many wolves in Stalker

bikingviking

On 1/8/2017 at 11:52 AM, bikingviking said:

Curious question for people in this thread: how many long (say 50+ days) Stalker games have you died from anything other than a wolf attack?

None.

I have had a couple of Bear related deaths and one instance of being stuck in a blizzard.
I have 185 hours played listed in Steam for TLD since early release and have only died three times. Most of my other hours are just deleted sandboxes.

I always play on Stalker. Wolf attacks for me are rare things. Wolf evasions on the other hand, are plentiful.

On 1/7/2017 at 6:52 PM, bikingviking said:

Curious question for people in this thread: how many long (say 50+ days) Stalker games have you died from anything other than a wolf attack?

For me - every single one of them.  I can't remember the last time a wolf actually killed me.  Sure they rough me up every now and again, but they never would have had that chance if I hadn't taken some unnecessary risk.  It's the weather, specifically the temperature, that always gets me.

53 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

For me - every single one of them.  I can't remember the last time a wolf actually killed me.  Sure they rough me up every now and again, but they never would have had that chance if I hadn't taken some unnecessary risk.  It's the weather, specifically the temperature, that always gets me.

For me it is usually a wolf that finishes me off after I've got into trouble with the weather. But it's rare that I get killed only due to wolves when I was fit and well already.

They do get in my way and cause problems/changes of plan fairly frequently, and I find myself running away from them quite often as well. But I don't mind that - that's their role in the game.

if numbers were reduced without a significant improvement to their AI and behavioural patterns, Stalker mode would become fairly tame for players who know the maps well; for those who don't know the maps, and who don't like the wolf density in Stalker, there's always  Voyageur to play instead.

A question for those that find wolves annoying. What's wrong with just shooting them in stalker? You have *so many* bullets and the easy to craft bow. I surelly prefer to play in interloper but seeing a pack of wolf in stalker never bothered me.

5 minutes ago, togg said:

seeing a pack of wolf in stalker never bothered me

The first time I saw a group of 5 wolves I felt nothing but excitement!  It was just after one of the updates and I thought they had maybe created some pack behavior.  I was disappointment when I easily cleared the area, killing them one by one. :(  Whenever I clear an area of wolves like that, I feel like an action movie hero who always gets to fight the bad guys one at a time!

1 hour ago, togg said:

A question for those that find wolves annoying. What's wrong with just shooting them in stalker? You have *so many* bullets and the easy to craft bow. I surelly prefer to play in interloper but seeing a pack of wolf in stalker never bothered me.

Simply this: I really don't enjoy the wanton and wasteful destruction of wildlife.  I kill wolves for food and clothing, but not more than I need and never for fun.  It's not about the fights being difficult... I think the only time I've died to a wolf in the last 900 or so hours of play was to Fluffy on a fresh interloper. 

People like different things.  I don't begrudge the folks who love to fight wolves 24/7, to each their own.  But for me the best possible game mode is something between voyageur and interloper that's got voyageur animals, stalker weather, and stalker loot types, but 1/4 the amount.  No need to change stalker for me, just add a fifth mode "realism" and I'm happy.

13 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Simply this: I really don't enjoy the wanton and wasteful destruction of wildlife.  I kill wolves for food and clothing, but not more than I need and never for fun.  It's not about the fights being difficult... I think the only time I've died to a wolf in the last 900 or so hours of play was to Fluffy on a fresh interloper. 

People like different things.  I don't begrudge the folks who loves to fight wolves 24/7, to each their own.  But for me the best possible game mode is not available yet.  Something between voyageur and interloper that's got voyageur animals, stalker weather, and stalker loot types, but 1/4 the amount.  No need to change stalker for me, just add a fifth mode "realism" and I'm happy.

I'd play that mode! (But I think naming it "realism" might be a bit unfair.)

What would really make a difference is some group AI for the wolves.  If they were to stalk prey in packs over a distance, rather than 'guarding' a specific location, and attack in numbers, it would make them all the more menacing without needing to have them popping up all over the map in pairs or small groups. 

Hopefully sometime down the line. 

2 hours ago, Pillock said:

I'd play that mode! (But I think naming it "realism" might be a bit unfair.)

What would really make a difference is some group AI for the wolves.  If they were to stalk prey in packs over a distance, rather than 'guarding' a specific location, and attack in numbers, it would make them all the more menacing without needing to have them popping up all over the map in pairs or small groups. 

Hopefully sometime down the line. 

Yes, a better wolves AI is better than quantity of wolves.

15 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

People like different things.  I don't begrudge the folks who love to fight wolves 24/7, to each their own.  But for me the best possible game mode is something between voyageur and interloper that's got voyageur animals, stalker weather, and stalker loot types, but 1/4 the amount.  No need to change stalker for me, just add a fifth mode "realism" and I'm happy.

This will never happen :) If you ask it like this you will not have it. In order to change a mode we have to understand what each one try to do, then propose some slightly change.

Like I said: a little bit less wolves and less knifes/rifles. It would still be different then interloper.

On 12/28/2016 at 2:45 AM, togg said:

In stalker the number of wolf could be reduced if the number of tools (especially knife/rifle) food and clothes is reduced as well. Could be done.

I totaly agree with you on this, especially  the amount of knives and hatches ect. interloper is to hard for me and staker i get bored becease i have 5 hatchets, 5 knives, 3 tool boxes, 3 crow bars, 3 RIFLES !!! 

10 hours ago, Riverotter said:

I totaly agree with you on this, especially  the amount of knives and hatches ect. interloper is to hard for me and staker i get bored becease i have 5 hatchets, 5 knives, 3 tool boxes, 3 crow bars, 3 RIFLES !!! 

Once I found 3-5 rifles (I'm not sure) in PV alone.

Archived