45 Day Interloper Run

Yolan

Just died on my best run on interloper so far.

Started on TWM, heading through pleasant valley to mystery lake where I stayed for almost the whole time.

Early on I was able to harvest a lot of deer hides with my bare hands, by setting up a fire and defrosting the bodies in the area. Eventually I grabbed a saw which made it easier.  But it was pretty cool to find out I could make trousers, boots and gloves without even having a knife.

I was also able to forge my own knife and some arrow heads for the first time in an interloper game, and I did that at around day 30, using the forge at Forlorn Muskeg. I fell through the ice on the way there, and nearly died of hypothermia. I was just able to nurse myself back to 40% health or so by using some nearby caves, boiling teas and eating cattails using collected deadfall. Really fun challenge.

Was able to catch a fair few fish with line made from gut, and hooks made myself from metal scrap. The challenge as it got colder was to keep the fishing huts warm with a fire, but I used my hammer to bash up furniture in the nearby cabins for that. I also managed to take down a deer with my bow for the first time ever. Their AI needs work. When spooked they often run at you. But that helped me get a few shots in. Then I had to chase it while slowly freezing to death for five minutes. Got it in the end though!

Finally things were getting tough due to a lack of cloth, and a wolf encounter really damaging my clothing. Also past day 40 the temperatures were getting down to minus 50c on a bad day! I decided to make a break for coastal highway. I just barely staggered through to one of the trailer houses at the logging depot, with 6% health left. Some candy bars and jerky here and there in cabins got me to the village. But recovery takes more calories, and I just was really struggling. That was when I made a bad call, to head, at night, through to another house. I could see the wolf and thought I had enough distance. I didn't realize that they even react to you from further away at night time. At 15% health or so I was dead on impact, day 45. Damn...! 

Just love this mode. Even with 210 plus hours on this game, it feels so nice and fresh. Love the new clothing system, and all the  kinds of small crazy instances where I just pull through and keep going against the odds. 

Really interested to see if I can ever get to the point of killing a bear with a bow, and wear a bearskin coat in interloper mode! I guess that is the ultimate challenge.

Archived