Game stuck at loading screen 'Press any key to continue"

zevv

I have not played TLD for a few months. Today started steam and received the latest updates, but now TLD does is not able to continue from the loading screen. The app is not dead; the text 'press any key to continue' is still flashing, but it seems that the keyboard presses are simply not detected.

Running on Debian SID, no problems with any other steam apps.

I've had similar issues in the past with SDL2 which uses an all-or-nothing method for detecting the keyboard layout, which failed on my machine for some reason. I was able to patch SDL to use the X11 key map by default as a workaround. Not sure if TLD is built on SDL2 though.

SDL2 actually does sound like the issue - We use Unity and it does use SDL2 in Linux. Steam can be a bit hit or miss in wrapping the game properly. My first recommendation would be to try SDL2, but do you get any output from the term that might have some more info? 

No relevant output, only a segfault when I forcefully close the window. Because TLD is statically linked to SDL2 my earlier workaround does not apply here, so I'll have to find out what the real underlying issue is. I have some keys remapped with xmodmap, this seems to confuse the SDL layout auto-detection.

Here is the bug I filed on SDL some time ago, but it seems it was never picked up.

https://bugzilla.libsdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2863

I'll investigate later this week and will get back if any results.

Thanks.

I'm not able to reproduce with simple test app using SDL2, all keyboard events come through just fine; it could be that my earlier problem from the bugzilla bug has already been solved in a later SDL2 release.

Do you happen to know on which SDL2 version the Unitiy engine is based? Is there anything else I can do to faciliate debugging this?

Archived