The Long Dark Sandbox Updated to v.386 -- “Resolute Outfitter”

Admin

2 hours ago, yoli said:

Thanks for the great update! Question on clothing layers: is the ordering inner/outer important for wetness? I.e. if I use a water resistent cloth in outer layer, will it protect the inner layer from wetness? 

I'm almost sure yes.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, WeAreTheDark said:

For those deep in a long game and looking to migrate there, from what region can we access Forlorn Muskeg? Is there a connecting region like the ravine?

Yes you can access the new map from another map. Without giving away to may tips is all I can say is follow the train line and you will find.

Deutsche Version weiter unten

You did a GREAT JOB with this update! Here is my first impression of this update in blog http://klabautermannlp.info/2016/12/20/the-long-dark-update/ and in a video of my yesterdays life-stream. Both is in German language: 

---

TOLL GEMACHT! Hier mein erster Eindruck dieses Updates als Blog http://klabautermannlp.info/2016/12/20/the-long-dark-update/ und Video meines Livestreams von gestern:

Very pleased so far,  put in a few hours this morning,  love the doll UI. Found the homestead,  as well as the refuge on marsh ridge.  The transition to mystery lake is great,  now i dont have to spend a month getting to the Point,  and i dont mind having the forge outside,  now i can work in the dark,  and not  lose my bearings. Well done,  give me those moose steaks team!! 

I started playing and a wolf came at me. I went to drop my decoy but instead there was a clothing tab. Luckily I hit it with an arrow at the last second so the attack was brief haha. I have found the new decoy option location on the menu wheel. Once of the things I like about this game is I feel genuine panic at times playing it and that was a great jolt. I like the new look of items and trying to find the new map area and a new forge are a great xmas present! Now to stay away from this forum since I already know too much about this new map area.

I had just laid out an expedition pack on my favorite rug and repaired all my gear I take on the long trips. Great timing on the new map!

I noticed that with this update, the game runs a bit smoother on my laptop. I had some trouble getting my Xbox going last night because of connectivity issues and so haven't been able to check the update on that but so far so good. The new wolf sounds really had me running too. I had the female character hiding in a car and I could clearly hear a wolf from under a bridge chasing a rabbit.

19 hours ago, The Gentleman Bastard said:

Not super upset, it was only like 10 days survived, but i almost had my bow made! And this is the second time its happened, so i am a lil worried...

I've lost two save files, one after another. Both times it happened I'd let the game save after entering a building, and both save files ended up corrupted. Since then, I've only gone to sleep to save the game and it's been fine so far. Maybe it's coincidence, I'm not sure, but got to be worth a shot?

1 hour ago, Kid Kayole said:

I've lost two save files, one after another. Both times it happened I'd let the game save after entering a building, and both save files ended up corrupted. Since then, I've only gone to sleep to save the game and it's been fine so far. Maybe it's coincidence, I'm not sure, but got to be worth a shot?

Thanks for the report on this @Kid Kayole -- will forward to support. 

Oh. Wow!

Just had to jump in with a note to the Devs. I'm only about 5 minutes into playing the new update. The new artwork, especially on the grasses, is absolutely beautiful. Well done! 

Take all the time you need on story mode. I'm definitely eager to play it, but I can also definitely wait until it's something you're proud to release.

Thanks again for all of your hard work on this game. It's easily the best value I've ever gotten from $20.  

The update created an interesting bug for me. I went to play my 300+ day game and arrived at the dam in Mystery Lake. This game was one of those times where Fluffy didn't spawn in the dam. Obviously I've been to the dam many, many times in the 300+ days, and lived there for days at a time. Fluffy was never there. Well, the update added Fluffy. :) I had no idea he was there, went to sleep by the fire barrel, and during my sleep heard a wolf growling. Figured it was some kind of an audio bug, but then when I woke up, I saw him walking around. He probably won't be walking for much longer with the knife wounds and all, but it was definitely a huge surprise to find him there after almost a year of in-game time of him not being there. :)

Technically I think it's a bug, but it's actually kind of cool, so I wouldn't bother spending time on any fix. It could be explained that he jumped in through an open window. 

Love the new update and clothing system but maybe I found a small UI problem. I had a lot of old clothes and crafting materials stored in a cupboard in a house at the end of Coastal Highway which I've been using as a base. Tranferrring items from my inventory to the cupboard seems to have problems. I can't always select the categories or select with the mouse. I'm on day 163 so the update will have changed a lot of my stored gear I think. I'd just finished moving a lot of stuff from Mystery Lake across into CH. Had no problems with food and stuff stored in the fridge.

12 hours ago, Supermax said:

The update created an interesting bug for me. I went to play my 300+ day game and arrived at the dam in Mystery Lake. This game was one of those times where Fluffy didn't spawn in the dam. Obviously I've been to the dam many, many times in the 300+ days, and lived there for days at a time. Fluffy was never there. Well, the update added Fluffy. :) I had no idea he was there, went to sleep by the fire barrel, and during my sleep heard a wolf growling. Figured it was some kind of an audio bug, but then when I woke up, I saw him walking around. He probably won't be walking for much longer with the knife wounds and all, but it was definitely a huge surprise to find him there after almost a year of in-game time of him not being there. :)

Technically I think it's a bug, but it's actually kind of cool, so I wouldn't bother spending time on any fix. It could be explained that he jumped in through an open window. 

This sounds like a bug to me as well. But maybe Fluffy is now able to enter the dam through the window repeatedly!? B| Meaning: This was not the last time :D

Couple quick notes:

In regards to GoG - I can't give an exact date as they have some external factors, where Steam does not, but they are coming. 

If you're seeing repeated corrupt save files please email them to support@hinterlandgames.com - instructions here: http://www.hinterlandforums.com/index.php?/topic/3982-the-long-dark-technical-faq/ - Generally this means there is something wrong with the files and we will want to investigate to see if we can resolve the issue. Sometimes it's better to just delete your save folder and start fresh as you may be carrying the corrupted files between sessions.

12 hours ago, Support said:

In regards to GoG - I can't give an exact date as they have some external factors, where Steam does not, but they are coming.

Too bad if the update did not arrive until the new year. Just a few days ago I bought the game on gog.com, in anticipation of an update "Resolute Outfitter", but did use the v375. :/

Well there are positive sides about buying on GOG:

• It's DRM free! :D
  • You can go back to all versions ever released on GOG (first one was 0.302).
    • Don't like what a new update does to the game? Revert back to the previous version (not save compatible).
  • The Long Dark releases might have a few weeks of a delay (of which 24-48 hours is from GOG itself, they test everything first).
    • The above might not sound as a plus but it means every hotfix is included.
    • With every hotfix included you never have an update that breaks saves thanks to a bug that slipped through (at least till now).
      • Downside of this is the longer waiting time, but hey who would prefer a bugged version above a stable one?
  • You can install and play the game on all devices (Windows, Mac and Linux) you own without any hassle.
    • You can even play the game on these devices all at the same time (platforms like Steam and Origin sometimes prevent you from doing this).

1 hour ago, Blinkin said:

Well there are positive sides about buying on GOG:

• It's DRM free! :D
  • You can go back to all versions ever released on GOG (first one was 0.302).
    • Don't like what a new update does to the game? Revert back to the previous version (not save compatible).
  • The Long Dark releases might have a few weeks of a delay (of which 24-48 hours is from GOG itself, they test everything first).
    • The above might not sound as a plus but it means every hotfix is included.
    • With every hotfix included you never have an update that breaks saves thanks to a bug that slipped through (at least till now).
      • Downside of this is the longer waiting time, but hey who would prefer a bugged version above a stable one?
  • You can install and play the game on all devices (Windows, Mac and Linux) you own without any hassle.
    • You can even play the game on these devices all at the same time (platforms like Steam and Origin sometimes prevent you from doing this).

Just my opinion I have never used GOG and why would I all my games are now on steam lol (apart from a few dvds). Steam is well supported and seems they work with both the gamer and the developers.

Damn You Hinterlands!!!!  Just when I thought I was free of your evil clutches and could return to a life of productivity and worthwhile pursuits!!!   ........YOU PULL ME BACK IN!!

You pull me back in with another awesome map to explore and new and innovative update changes that make an already great game, even more immersive!!

And you even had the nerve to do it on my birthday!!!!       Curse you Hinterlands!!  Curse you!!!    LOL!!!!

Thank you for all you do and the great game you've created that we all love so much!!

Merry Christmas and a Wonderful and profitable New Years to you all!!

CowboyMRH  (Michael)

Archived