My first run - great luck wasted by greed.

Pawel E Cieslak

I was out of home when The Long Dark was released on Steam, so I had my first run yesterday and I was suprised how great start I've had. As I started I've noticed that the temperature was only -10oC /or 14oF/ and I was spawned 10-20 meters /30 to 60 ft/ from the camp office. My plan was to create my 'Base of Operation' at Trapper's Homestead so I begun collecting stuff from lake region and moving it over to BO. On my way there I haven't seen a single wolf. Then I moved to scavenge the Dam. Combined from my 1 - 2 h play I've found 2 Hunting Rifles, 20 bullets, lots of clothing first aid, 3 85%+ can openers, 2 60%+ hunting knifes, etc. (without finding 'The Location'). At the Dam I haven't got to meet Fluffy and found about 40 kg /88 lbs/ of loot. And being so confident from my expirience so far I've set out encumbered to drop it off. If wasn't encumbered I could have made it in 5 minutes, however with over 10kg /22 lbs/ of overweight it took much longer. That's when I run out of luck. I've got lost in a blizard, at -50oC /-58oF/ and at night. Even though I still haven't met any wolfes I've got a food poisoning, sprained my ankle 6 times and eventualy I died of cold. And all of this wouldn't have happend if I was willing to make two trips instead of being impatient. The thing that hurts me most is that I've wasted a great start with supplies for 20 - 25 days of game without having to hunt. Anyway I have learned my lesson of how important it is to keep an eye on the weight.

Aw, that hurts. Goes to show how a single decision can have major influence on the outcome of your run. I never made it past 4 days, for the same reasons. Every time try to avoid making the same mistakes, but it seems there is always something new that gets me in the end. It's almost like playing chess with nature.

Archived