Snowballs in Hell

Drifter Man

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned a lot from this thread (and 1000 days in the Dam). Thanks!

On 10/14/2017 at 10:42 PM, Drifter Man said:

3. Are there other places like the three-way cave and the alcove under the Summit where you are outdoors and fully protected from the wind, but still can build a snow shelter?

Edit: As for your question 3: you might be able to build a protected snow shelter in the cave in FM next to the indoor caves plateau entrance - I haven't tried but it's like Alan's Cave in ML in form.

Thanks everyone for following the Snowball story.

19 hours ago, JAFO said:

Snowball 47.. King of the Mountain!

The royal title has been awarded to another survivor and I have no intention to contest it :)

Anyway. I like the challenge of Interloper and want to create a new level that would minimize reliance on the comforts of the civilization. I'm still trying to find the right balance to make the game enjoyable and survivable, but it's something along these lines:

• no entry to buildings with constant temperature inside (caves and mines are ok)
  • no use of man-made items unless crafted by myself, with the following exceptions:
    • matches
    • heavy hammer, for crafting only
    • cloth
    • scrap metal
    • leather
    • clothes (only those the survivor is born with; the other pieces can only serve as source of cloth/leather)
    • firewood
    • bedroll

I want to reduce the exceptions as much as possible but some items are just indispensable. I thought of going without a bedroll and living in snow shelters but the game doesn't let you build one almost anywhere, at least that's my impression - even terrain is needed. Worse yet, you need to move and there's not enough cloth to build them every night.

1 hour ago, Drifter Man said:
  • no use of man-made items unless crafted by myself, with the following exceptions:
    • matches
    • heavy hammer, for crafting only
    • cloth
    • scrap metal
    • leather
    • clothes (only those the survivor is born with; the other pieces can only serve as source of cloth/leather)
    • firewood
    • bedroll

Given that they're not craftable, you may want to add a specific exception for headwear..

22 hours ago, JAFO said:

Given that they're not craftable, you may want to add a specific exception for headwear..

I tend to agree, headbite can be as much pain in the ass as assbite.

My test runs weren't much fun, I have to say. Thinking about each item whether it is off limits kills all authenticity. Snowballs had one simple rule - can't get out of TWM. That was easy to follow.

So I started a completely normal, vanilla Interloper to familiarize myself with the world again. I'm finding whetstones. What are they for? Improvised tools couldn't be sharpened as far as I can remember.

Also, is Fluffy still in the Dam? :) I heard somewhere she's been made redundant. I'm not exactly keen on meeting her, or any other wolf, until I have something to defend myself with. Anyway, I got from FM to the Camp Office and plan to go on and reach the TWM summit before the weather goes bad, grabbing a hacksaw and a bedroll somewhere on the way. Then back to FM and the forge. Let's see how far I can get.

24 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

Also, is Fluffy still in the Dam? :) I heard somewhere she's been made redundant.

Correct.. Fluffy has been MIA since Wintermute..

Personally, I think as there are now two wolves below the dam, in Winding River, that she's back with her mate. Some people insist though, that there were always two wolves down there. But I'm 100% certain I've only ever encountered the one, until Wintermute came along.

• 3 months later...

Just finished reading this thread. (Only discovered the Forums in mid-January; been playing the game very slightly longer than that.)

This is absolutely fascinating stuff, @Drifter Man. We "naturalistic" gamers owe so much to those of you who plumb the depths of every trench and strain against the ceiling of games. Any "Snowball" played by @Drifter Man is clearly an epic hero or demigod. "Snowballs in Hell"? Orpheus in the Underworld, more like! Only it's a frozen hell, the like of which isn't found in any natural environment on earth.

Mount Everest? Don't make me laugh! https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Everest/forecasts/8850

Meet Timberwolf Mountain and its -90C windchill!

Anyway, your Survival Stories and those of others will enhance my enjoyment of The Long Dark in innumerable ways. Kudos - and thank you, once more!

On 31/01/2018 at 9:53 AM, FormalBear said:

Just finished reading this thread. (Only discovered the Forums in mid-January; been playing the game very slightly longer than that.)

This is absolutely fascinating stuff, @Drifter Man. We "naturalistic" gamers owe so much to those of you who plumb the depths of every trench and strain against the ceiling of games. Any "Snowball" played by @Drifter Man is clearly an epic hero or demigod. "Snowballs in Hell"? Orpheus in the Underworld, more like! Only it's a frozen hell, the like of which isn't found in any natural environment on earth.

Mount Everest? Don't make me laugh! https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Everest/forecasts/8850

Meet Timberwolf Mountain and its -90C windchill!

Anyway, your Survival Stories and those of others will enhance my enjoyment of The Long Dark in innumerable ways. Kudos - and thank you, once more!

Thanks! I haven't visited in the frozen world of TLD for some time, and I'm happy that people still find this old project interesting. Those were exciting days in Timberwolf Mountain. Enjoy the game & stay warm out there!

Archived