stone arrows heads using whetstone

LunarCaptain

look, I see these small rocks that are on the ground. I keep thinking that these are arrow heads. so why just a new crafting recipe at a work bench or camp crafting. what I would like to see is a 1-3 option. that uses 15% of a whetstone and one of those rocks to craft an arrow head. 

I wish to say a small bit of history settlers from Norway did settle on Greenland when the climate warmed up. This was where they met the Inuit. then the climate of Greenland got a lot more colder. the settlers could not grow crops and their food stores were either eaten or ruined. Many of those who did not leave just plan out starved. the settler was clearly not part of mother nature's plan. however, the Inuit made it through ok.

The topic kind of reminded me of long dark while researching it. 

Just use the forge :) You're forced by the creators to move there to craft this essential resource. And anyway if you don't play interloper you found enough of them in the world.

By adding this you would only destroy a great world-gameplay mechanic.

yes, we could use the forge, however, this means travel to one location and that would be after scrapping every possible metal object we could. Becuase one you use up all your coal its done. Now I would rather have another option to make arrow heads so, I can use my scrap for hooks so, I can go fishing. 

Honestly in real life. I would smash rocks together, use one to shape another. heat one up a stone in a fire then strike it with a cold one. Yes, it may take a few hours or even a day. however chip by chip I will get an arrow head. so to make this realistic. 

I would say heat a stone up basically cook it in a 35c stove. Then go to actions and strike with a cold stone. the action would take an hour and only has a 40% success rate. The hot stone if failed would then turn into brittle stone. (garbage) if the action does not succeed. However if it does work then you may have 2-3 arrow heads. 

I would also guess that you use could use Hot stones to keep your self warm to. just carry them for +5 heat bonus.Tthey would also most likey cool down with 12 hours. 

get your bow and arrow, get light, make a coal run thru the mines, even in the transition mine. pile it all up. in reality 10 pieces of metal yields 20 arrowheads, and only takes a small amount of coal to get hot and stay hot long enough. sleep in a bed roll near the furnace if you feel the need to stoke the fire with wood so as to not waste coal or not need to relight it.

after a day of crafting or two, you should have a hatchet, a knife, and two dozen arrowheads if you bring the hammer, coal, and the saw to the riken just with what you can salvage there the first time (I think).

I usually make between 15 and 20 arrow heads, find another half dozen along the way in areas, and never survive long enough to lose them all. lol

1 hour ago, LunarCaptain said:

I did not know that, thanks for the info. Do you also know where I can find a hacksaw too?

Usually on the tool stands, or on the ground near them. Under the red metallic cabinets there might be a saw. Sometimes under lockers, it is never certain. Always check under furniture you might find even more useful stuff too like mag glass .

9 hours ago, dbldrew said:

making stone arrowheads or even arrowheads from scrap metal sounds good. to balance the game just make it so the arrow head will be ruined once the arrow is ruined. If you want a permanent arrowhead then you will have to go to the forge.. 

I like this idea.  No new ballistics coding or damage calculations, it has the same terminal characteristics as the standard arrow, but it can only be harvested for crow feathers. It would require a new item to keep the two separate, say, a "Crude Arrow" for instance.

2 hours ago, Cirtex said:

A way to craft arrowheads period is needed. You can make a ton of shafts and 0 arrowheads, it makes no sense

The ironic thing is that, over a long enough timeline, the big limiter on your arrow usage is not the arrowheads, but the shafts.  Before beachcombing was a thing there was a much smaller pool of birch saplings than scrap metal.  Even now a washed-up birch sapling would be a heckuva lucky find.

Archived