Creating a fan game inspired by the long dark

Hi everyone :D

First of all, thank you to all the team hinterland for their great game. I really enjoy and spent many hours on it. The environment and art style are great. I'm waiting the story mode but I do know game development takes time.

I started to think about creating a game inspired by The Long Dark. I think it's important to be respectful and I don't want to plagiarize your work. I take copyright protection very seriously that's why I designed a few rules and safeguard.

1. The game would be set in the snowy alpine region of Switzerland instead of Canada.
  2. All assets, 3D objects, Textures, Artwork, Scripts, etc would be created by myself or taken from Public domain resources.
  3. I will never use copyrighted materials nor material coming from TLD
  4. The map and the story, will be original and not a recreation of a location in the game.
  5. The game won't use the name of TLD, and there will be no reference to TLD in game.

Now, I have a few questions for the devs.

• Would it be ok to create my game ?
  • If yes, Have you any suggestion for my list of safeguard or anything you want me to follow ?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Sam

winter.jpg

I have made some improvements, started to add mountains and barriers along the road.

I'm working on the dynamic day/night cycle and the weather system. My next target is the crafting/item system.

The first and for the moment only map planned is located around a small pond with a viewpoint and a mountain lodge.

mountain.jpg

On 11/10/2016 at 5:55 PM, sammy said:

I have made some improvements, started to add mountains and barriers along the road.

I'm working on the dynamic day/night cycle and the weather system. My next target is the crafting/item system.

The first and for the moment only map planned is located around a small pond with a viewpoint and a mountain lodge.

mountain.jpg

We appreciate you being mindful of our work, even as you are inspired by it, and we would hope this would apply to gameplay as well as art. What do you have in mind in terms of gameplay?

We take our game very seriously, as you can imagine. Thanks for your letting us know. :coffee:

Archived