Wolf Behavior - Voyageur Sandbox v.365

Calico Jack

I just had my first genuinely traumatic death (i.e., one that really made me go "NOOOOO!" as opposed to "Huh") and wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar recently. I'd been living quite happily in the Coastal Townsite for over 70 days and had just returned from a forage south to Desolation Point to find birch. I had noticed a definite deterioration in the weather since the last update, but was coping with it pretty well. All my resources were good, clothing was in good shape, and I was starting to recover from the sudden drop in repairing skill post-update that others have mentioned. After getting back from Desolation Point, I'd spent a couple solid days in the Gas Station next door crafting arrows which had put me at risk of cabin fever. This wasn't too much of an issue as I'd planned to spend the next day or so fishing and going on a bit of a wolf hunt; my jacket was looking the worse for wear and I'd lost my two remaining wolf hides in failed attempts at repair. I left the house at dawn and immediately saw a pair of wolves right outside the back of the Gas Station. I'd only ever seen a single wolf in that area before once or twice, and he had always been close to or on the road; pretty much all the wolves nearby tended to stay out on the ice. I crept back inside, grabbed the rifle, and came back out in a low crouch onto a slightly raised berm about 15 meters from the door. I killed the first wolf outright, and his buddy bolted out onto the road then doubled back at a walk. I stayed in the aim waiting for him to reappear from behind the Gas Station, and right after I shot him, I got rushed by a third wolf from behind. I heard the bark, it was close, went for a flare and didn't make the transition before he was on top of me. The second that I recovered from his attack, a fourth wolf hit me and did me some serious damage. Once I'd fought him off, I ran back inside, quickly dealt with my injuries, and saw that my wolfskin coat, boots and gloves were all destroyed. I'd also dropped my rifle. Catastrophically, I made the decision to go straight back outside to grab it, thinking that both wolves would be some distance away having both taken injuries themselves. I was inside for less than a minute. Whether it was one of the same pair or a fifth wolf that killed me, I'll never know, but it was on the doorstep, and I didn't even hear him coming.

Has anyone else seen significant changes in wolf territories or behavior recently? Anyone shed any light? For what it's worth, I've never stored food outside and have never killed deer or left meat anywhere near the Townsite.

Seventy one days, man. Seventy one days.

Gaz station is one of the most notorious places for wolves. Not sure if this is true for Voyageur but on Interloper there's a traveling pack of 4-5 biest which stays for some days at the gaz station, then near water logging and then probably near waterfront cottages. Which is why on Stalker when I have a rifle I often shoot in the air when leaving via the backdoor, just to scare away all the biests hidden behind hills.

On Interloper or to save ammo, ready a flare or a torch, exit through the back and run as light as possible straight up the hill. It's your best chance to not get caught by the pack.

Just now, ThePrivateer said:

I am on about day 60 and I truly regret making my camp at the Quonset hut for exactly this reason.  3-4 wolves at a time quite frequently, and the bear will come right to the door sometimes.  Even crossing the street to grab some wood is taking your life in your hands.  :/

Thanks for your replies, guys. Yeah, I'd read this, but never seen them there before. I'd been living in that house for at least 50 days. They'd always be out on the ice, with the exception of one who'd sometimes hang around on the road and occasionally around the Gas Station. This was like the whole pack had suddenly relocated from the ice to the Townsite overnight.

I like using the jackrabbit house, run over to fishing huts to work on crafts. I build a fire that is shielded from wind while working if need be. Not always the best solution but it often works.

Once I get my bow and a few arrows, I like to perch up on the rocks while the wolves feed on a rabbit I sent their way....then bang, right in the back with an arrow. They hate it but I love it. :)

I have noticed the nastiness of the weather and have to say it disappoints me. Seems like a cheap coding game mechanic to make it more "difficult." I would rather improve on wolf AI and add more animals than worry about the making the weather worse and worse all the time.

When hanging out at the Quonset Gas Station, always exit through the back door. Then stand still, turn up your speakers and listen. Unless the wind is blowing, you can hear whether the wolves are close by or not. Also, you may want to take a peek around the two corners of the gas station before moving out - to the path behind the Townsite (never walk around the Gas Station to the road). From the path, you have a better view over the Townsite, and your back is protected (wolves don't come down the mountainside).

Thanks for your replies. I think the point I wanted to make was that this was a sudden and pretty significant change in wolf behavior as far as my game experience was concerned. Aside from the odd one, the wolves stayed out on the ice prior to this event. It went from that to what looked like all of them suddenly appearing within the village one morning. 

@Hotzn - yeah, that was pretty much my SOP for leaving the Gas Station, which is where I did my crafting. Even in a blinding blizzard, I'd exit the back door, turn ninety degrees right, run like hell for ten seconds and smash face-first into my kitchen door!

On 10/24/2016 at 9:53 AM, ChillPlayer said:

Yes it's one of the worst possible camps. Have a look at Jackrabbit's Island when you're around CH ;)

Cool.  Can you meet me over at the Quonset hut and help me drag my 900kg of gear over to Jackrabbit Island?  :D  I'll buy the beer and hamburgers.  ;)

9 minutes ago, ThePrivateer said:

Cool.  Can you meet me over at the Quonset hut and help me drag my 900kg of gear over to Jackrabbit Island?  :D  I'll buy the beer and hamburgers.  ;)

Feel free to also scavenge my eight hundred and fifty kilos of gear from the adjacent house and plunder my still-warm corpse. You're welcome.

• 4 months later...
On 27/10/2016 at 5:22 AM, Hotzn said:

When hanging out at the Quonset Gas Station, always exit through the back door.

And be careful when approaching the back door, I had a wolf standing by the door hidden by a snow drift that I practically stepped on, he seemed as surprised as I was.

On 22/03/2017 at 8:37 AM, Bumbleebee95 said:

And be careful when approaching the back door, I had a wolf standing by the door hidden by a snow drift that I practically stepped on, he seemed as surprised as I was.

The best advice is to crouch before exit a building, when there is a chance to find a predator nearby.

Archived